Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

Type 2 to Type 2 Charging Lead

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Trevor Larkum 
#1 ·
I need to buy a Type 2 to Type 2 charging Lead.
Can I buy a three phase lead, and will it work on a single phase supply?
The reason for my question is that I may, at some time, charge on a three phase supply and don't want to buy a separate lead.

#3 ·
I need to buy a Type 2 to Type 2 charging Lead.
Can I buy a three phase lead, and will it work on a single phase supply?
The reason for my question is that I may, at some time, charge on a three phase supply and don't want to buy a separate lead.
Yes, a three phase lead will work fine on a single phase supply.

Bear in mind if you get a three phase capable car, it usually comes with its own Type lead.

#5 ·
...Bear in mind if you get a three phase capable car, it usually comes with its own Type lead.
Probably irrelevant to the OP, but in this thread A 7.2/3.6kw charging mystery it looks like a Merc 300 DE gets supplied with a 3-phase cable, but only has 16A wires in the charger cable. So it will charge at a max of 7.4kW from a genuine 3-phase EVSE, unusual kit here in UK, and if plugged into a single phase EVSE it will only charge at 3.7 kW! So they've skimped on cable quality, as with a 32A cable it would do 7.4 kW on a single phase charger. Those buying Bevs with 3-phase charging need to be aware of this possibility!

#6 ·
3 phase cables are also notoriously heavy and stiff, so awkward to use.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.