Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can a Type 2 to Type 2 cable be used to extend another Type 2 to Type 2 or a granny charger?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, are there extensions available or are you expected to buy a longer lead?

·
Super Moderator
7,505 Posts
Thanks, are there extensions available or are you expected to buy a longer lead?
You should buy a longer lead. People HAVE modified the cable (you can trim off the end of the connector and then the pins will engage) and it does work, but this defeats some safeties designed into the protocol, and could overheat (i.e. if you happened to use a 16 amp type2 lead to extend your 32amp lead and the car was charging at 32amp). Biggest risk is that the connectors will not be physically held together, they can readily come apart again, either completely, or partially, which would cause arcing (and then a fire) or if they happened to on the ground in a wet puddle, death.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What are the cable diameters of the different Type 2 to Type 2 cables?

·
Registered
43 Posts
There are extensions available. I purchased a 5 metre one to work with my tethered Rolec and granny charger. Works perfectly.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Do the extensions lock together so they can't be accidentally pulled apart or cause an accident?

·
Super Moderator
7,505 Posts
Reactions: Neilew
1 - 11 of 11 Posts