Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! Has anyone recently been travelling in France? How useful is it to get a type 3 (3C) cable nowadays? It looks like only legacy points have them, but that as they are rarer, possibly they might be getting less use and a good option as a backup. Paris seems especially full of them based on looking at chargemap. I'm planning on spending more time in the north, but just curious as I've noticed the parts and assembled cables are starting to get pretty hard to find as well as fairly expensive.

Is it really worth spending £230+ on a cable I'll rarely use?

The main issue is I have a Mitsubishi I-MIEV, so being able to charge whenever and wherever I am could potentially help me through some areas that would otherwise have gaps in the chademo network.

·
Registered
12,305 Posts
There are lots of Type 3 charging points in France. However you likely need to sign up to their charging networks as well which may be prohibitive.

There are plenty of other options for charging however.

With an iMiev I imagine it would be slow going the best of times?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There are lots of Type 3 charging points in France. However you likely need to sign up to their charging networks as well which may be prohibitive.

There are plenty of other options for charging however.

With an iMiev I imagine it would be slow going the best of times?
Oh don’t worry, I’m already signed up on a whole bunch of French charging networks: belib, passpass, kiwhi, izivia, Chargemap, freshmile... and don’t forget I have shell/new motion, plug surfing, and charge point.

As long as there is some chademo, I can keep moving, but t3 would be for more opportunity/destination charging.

·
Registered
12,305 Posts
Yes. When I was in Paris earlier this year there were loads right outside my hotel.

Maybe there's a cheap adaptor that can work? Or pick up a 2nd hand cable.

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
Oh don’t worry, I’m already signed up on a whole bunch of French charging networks: belib, passpass, kiwhi, izivia, Chargemap, freshmile... and don’t forget I have shell/new motion, plug surfing, and charge point.
When will charging network access insanity end ? :rolleyes:

When was the last time anyone signed up to petrol/diesel supply networks ahead of driving to the continent ?

Somehow I think governments are going to have to get involved here...

·
Registered
363 Posts
We took a Zoe to Brittany in 2018. Every charger we came across had both Type 2 and Type 3 - most offering free electricity. Not sure if this is the case across all areas of France, but a quick search on Chargemap with the filter set to Type 2 seems to show lots of chargers everywhere.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When will charging network access insanity end ? :rolleyes:

When was the last time anyone signed up to petrol/diesel supply networks ahead of driving to the continent ?

Somehow I think governments are going to have to get involved here...
I know right? I swear I browse zapmap and chargemap and basically click on all the chargers I see along my planned routes and if I don't have the charge card yet, I just go ahead and order it way in advance out of precaution... so far I've now got 15 different rfid cards/keys (and I've got 2 on order coming anytime now in the post) in addition to apps like ecotricity and podpoint that don't use physical cards.

I don't really mind doing this, but I get annoyed when with this many cards I can turn up at a point and still discover another network was needed. Also, when there is roaming in place, it's tricky sometimes to figure out who is offering the best deal. Plus the whole connection, kwh, time methods of calculation.... whyyyyyyyyy :( Can't we just do per kwh 0-80 (maybe 90 on small cars) on rapids then like £1/minute overstay and then like just charge kwh on all the slower ones? Would be so much simpler. Don't even get me started about source London's absolute ripoff... I've just ordered them as a backup for when I can't find parking since they were doing a black friday membership discount.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We took a Zoe to Brittany in 2018. Every charger we came across had both Type 2 and Type 3 - most offering free electricity. Not sure if this is the case across all areas of France, but a quick search on Chargemap with the filter set to Type 2 seems to show lots of chargers everywhere.
I've noticed a lot of the charge points that have T3 in the north seem to be T3/standard wall plug according to chargemap... which is odd...

Out of curiosity, how many of the Type 2 connectors were tethered?

·
Registered
363 Posts
I've noticed a lot of the charge points that have T3 in the north seem to be T3/standard wall plug according to chargemap... which is odd...

Out of curiosity, how many of the Type 2 connectors were tethered?
All the type 2 in the villages were untethered. Didn't try a 43kW one anywhere - those may be tethered.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
All the type 2 in the villages were untethered. Didn't try a 43kW one anywhere - those may be tethered. View attachment 125488
ooh that looks so happy and sunny! :)

I'll have to report back... I think for starters I am going to buy a 15m euro wall plug 16amp power lead and chop off the end to replace with a weatherproof masterplug UK socket on the other end as a converter for my granny charger and then probably get the type 3(c) for my next trip. I think I've spent enough this month on accessories at this point. Debating if I should also get a caravan lead as I have a caravan to 3pin converter already...

I know these aren't the best way to charge, but I'm all about not getting stranded, lol.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts