Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
MY15 Q210 and an MY18 R110
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am still on the fence about getting my second EV. Currently I have a Zoe but like the Leaf as I know it is quieter and has a better ride.

A problem then comes in that the AC charge port on the 24/30kWh Leaf are type1. I know I could mod my current wall charger to have a type 1 cable as well but running two cables out of the charger seems wrong and I am sure will only take a moments lapse in concentration one day to suddenly connect both cars at the same time and I don't want to run that risk. Two chargers would be more than the garage supply could handle so that has also been ruled out.
Also not a fan of using a small type2-type1 adaptor, even if I have to use one in the short term.

So, has anyone changed the socket on the car to a type2?

I am aware the wiring is the same just a different actually connector so in the grand scheme of things I don't see this as being too hard.
Going forward it seems like a simple mod that means it can use the now standard type2 cabling everywhere even if you need to "borrow" one, or charge at a relatives house.

Apologies if this has been asked/answered before, I'm normally over in the Zoe forum.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Personally I wouldn't even contemplate the idea. What if you modified the car then it later caused a fire? Do you think the insurance would pay out? Unless you plan to tell them of the modification?

I would replace the current chargepoint for a socketed model, so you can simply plug in a suitable lead to charge either car. Alternatively fit a second chargepoint that can be throttled depending on cable load. Zappi and Podpoint can do this. A suitably qualified electrician would be able to advise.

·
Registered
5,153 Posts
I am still on the fence about getting my second EV. Currently I have a Zoe but like the Leaf as I know it is quieter and has a better ride.

A problem then comes in that the AC charge port on the 24/30kWh Leaf are type1. I know I could mod my current wall charger to have a type 1 cable as well but running two cables out of the charger seems wrong and I am sure will only take a moments lapse in concentration one day to suddenly connect both cars at the same time and I don't want to run that risk. Two chargers would be more than the garage supply could handle so that has also been ruled out.
Also not a fan of using a small type2-type1 adaptor, even if I have to use one in the short term.

I am aware the wiring is the same just a different actually connector so in the grand scheme of things I don't see this as being too hard.
Going forward it seems like a simple mod that means it can use the now standard type2 cabling everywhere even if you need to "borrow" one, or charge at a relatives house.

Apologies if this has been asked/answered before, I'm normally over in the Zoe forum.
You will be totally on your own here, there are interfaces with on vehicle ICUs you need to redesign

·
Registered
5,153 Posts

Generally there are a lot of things in your original post which indicate you are totally out of your depth. Use the adaptor, don't dabble with stuff you don't understand and live to see another day.😀😀😀

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the quick response. Didn't expect such a negative response though, interesting. With battery swaps and charger upgrades much more prevalent in leafs I'd expect the idea to have been done.

I wasn't planning on printing my own socket out of PLA and making the pins out of bits of tin foil. I would have been using a socket from a respected company or from a 40kW Leaf.

The car wouldn't know any difference. The five wires are all the same between a type1 and type2 it's just the moulded plastic and pin size really.

Odd you'd think I was out of my depth on simply asking if anyone had already done it. I had added more info to indicate that other solutions had already been thought about and discarded. I did have a type1 cable in the past when I was going to get a Leaf before buying my second Zoe, so I sold the cable.

I did however forget the Zappi will monitor the current and pull back the charge rate it the overhead is reduced. Having a second charger might be an option.

I see it is a very simple change with a VERY tiny risk of any issue. I assumed that is was a standard change especially as the 2018+ leafs have moved to type2 as has the rest of the world (apart from the US)

Ah well. If/when I get round getting a leaf I'll post the mod.

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
There is only one company i aware of thats even close to offering this and i doubt you want to go to the Netherlands for a conversion...

If you dont want to use the adapter then why not install another point and have a load sensing and sharing one? Theres a few on the market that can do this so youd be fine then and both could be plugged in and charging at 16amp without issue.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
As an option you could have a second chargepoint and a manual changeover switch like this, get a spark to fit, this should be acceptable as only 1 can be on.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Why am I thinking of the old saying about Mohammed and the mountain?
I have a shovel......how hard can it be? :cool:

I guess you could see it as "something" has to be done, just looking at the options.
Buying a second wall box and getting that fitted is one option. If you then have to create a switch over control system that is extra but all still workable. All of that would also be working in to obsolescence as they type1 connector has already been phased out. In the future I would, at minimum, need to change the cable to a type 2 anyway.

The power connection to the house isn't ever going to change so charging one car a time is the only way it is gong to work. I'm not a fan of ramping the power right back as at the lower charge rate the efficiency drops off. Much better to just let one charge at a time. That only becomes an issue if you suddenly let both cars run right down and need to have some charge in them both overnight. That comes down to personal stupidity and I try to avoid that. If it did ever happen then it would be a lesson learnt the hard way.

Actually just thinking physically about it, I don't have anywhere to mount a second charger anyway, that has all just become moot.

Short term using one of those small type2-type1 adaptors would be used anyway. If I did ever make the change then it would appear there are plenty of people out there who would want to buy the adaptor later.

I still see the idea of changing the car socket as being the best/simplest/cheapest and in the end safest solution. Clearly I am in a minority here, never said I was average or normal, never want to be either.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Without wishing to appear boastful I foresaw this sort of issue way back. I had both properties fitted with 32A socketed polar units even though I only had a 16A type1 car at the time.
How many hours of faffing possibly in the cold and rain has this cost me over the years? I generally leave the lead plugged in unless I think it may be required for the trip. Unquestionably tethered leads are nicer to use. One of my sockets now seems to be intermittently faulty so must change that soon.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Zarni, just do it man. If you need help I can assist, if you are around London.

It won't catch fire as some people write around here. I'll explain why: if there is a thermal problem on AC wiring, there is always:
1) a voltage drop
2) overcurrent

In any of these cases, the car itself or the evse wall charger will stop the charge.

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
@Rory166 Nice to blow your own trumpet, no-one else will :) You could however just get a second cable and leave that in the car. Kind of a best of both worlds. Well planned though,

Even though I don't have space for another full charger outside, I could fit one in the garage and then just have the socket or tethered cable outside.
Hmmm, I wonder why I've never seen that either, probably not looking hard enough.
Assuming you go for an untethered charger you don't need the box to be outside. Strange that the charger suppliers haven't started doing something like that.
Having just the socket outside would make for a much neater install. If fitted flush to the brickwork you'd hardly see it. Sort of thing I'd expect to see on new builds.
If I didn't have the Zappi with it's display I'd be looking to make that change.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It's a fair cop, clearly I haven't been looking. Thanks for that.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Going to your original idea, I have looked at this as well. Physically I think the type 2 socket from a 40/60 model would fit with some fettling, but the tricky bit is the solenoid that locks the cable in place. The type 1 has a trigger that holds the connector in, when you squeeze the trigger, as well as mechanically releasing the connector it breaks the signalling lines between the car and the EVSE which causes the EVSE to shut down so you don't disconnect while under load. On a type 2 the connector is locked in by the car, my solution was going to be to make a small circuit to latch the solenoid on the connector when 240v is present and have a small waterproof push button to break the signalling lines (as the type 1 does) to enable the EVSE to shut down which would then drop the 240v and the solenoid would release. You are correct in that the ECU's in the car do not care what connector the power comes over as they are pin for pin compatible (other than the fact that the type 2 spec has some extra pins for three phase which are not used on the leaf so can be ignored) which is why you can get simple adaptors to convert from type 1 to type 2 and vice versa. The issue about comms standards being different is converting from Chademo to CCS which is far more complex and not what is being discussed here.

Of course the type 2 to type 1 adaptors sold on the internet don't implement any of the latching, you can plug and unplug under load with nice big arcs taking chunks out of your connector pins and sockets to your hearts content which is one of the reasons they are not recommended......

One day I may get around to doing this but it is a lot of effort for little gain, plus trying to explain it to the insurance company is more fun than I need at the moment! My only reason for doing it was that we have a mixed fleet of type 2 and type 1 cars on the drive and I was getting fed up with the wrong cable always being on the charger for whichever car needed it, but we will be selling the Volvo hybrid soon so back to just type 1's again.

·
Premium Member
Polestar 2 - 2020
323 Posts
Didn't expect such a negative response though, interesting.
You came to the wrong forum if you expected anything but being patronised and insulted. :oops:

If you are 100% set on a Leaf with a Type 1, cannot change the car or model/age due to costs, etc... then I'd use the Adaptor.

But maybe long term you could look at installing a Commando socket outside for the Leaf ... this would be a cheaper option than another charger or some conversion.

All depends on your budget, set up, and other factors - so hard to give definitive advice.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
6,963 Posts
You came to the wrong forum if you expected anything but being patronised and insulted. :oops:
Sorry if that has been your or @Zarni 's experience.

As what is intended as a helpful suggestion, have you considered the use of an industrial 32A (or greater) rated four pole change over switch between the charge point and the leads? This would allow you to switch Live, Neutral, CP, and PP between the two cables leaving the Earth permanently connected on both. The switches are intended for three phase and whilst hugely overrated for switching CP and PP should work just fine, and are relatively inexpensive. This would allow you to charge just one car at a time at the full rate, but is cheaper than an additional charge point.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
@Bungle Good point about the locking solenoid. Hmmm, need to have a think about that. Really needs to be fool proof, first though is to use a button inside the car to unlock the charge connector but straight away that becomes too much faff, especially when running late.

@dk6780 A high power relay is an option for home but I'd like to make the car universal which was why I was interested in changing the charge port.

Seem like the adaptor is the simple way to go for now, such is life.

Oh, I don't mind being patronised or even insulted really, just as long as you can take as much as you give I am fine. Just be careful what you wish for, I'm a sarcastic git at the best of times. Still chuckling about the comment of being out of my depth though.

·
Premium Member
1,106 Posts
Been using an adaptor for 18 months after changing from a Leaf 30 to a Kona. Never had a single problem despite the pod point being nearly 8 years old. It may or may not help that it is a 16amp charger.

·
Registered
Nissan e-NV200 (converted campervan)
165 Posts
Yes, it's possible to fit a type-2 socket to a LEAF. It's already been done, there is a company offering the conversion: Remember the Nissan Leaf modded by Kreisel Electric? - PushEVs

It looks like they are also fitting a three-phase 22kW onboard charger to make good use of the extra 3-phase pins on the type-2 socket. Not cheap, 7500 EUR for the connector and upgrade to 22kW onboard charger. Probably cheaper just to use an adaptor!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts