Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it just me, or are a lot of the charger installations going in at the moment not suit the location?

If there was actual overall UK wide network planning as to what charging infrastructure was needed, would rapid/ultra chargers be installed in retail car parks in central town locations?

Take for example the recent Grantham Instavolt location. Urban centre, and only two rapids. Surely it would be better to have 8 bays at 11kw AC in that sort of location and then have rapid chargers on A road locations on the edge of town and on motorways.

I don't think I'd want to be on a rapid charger with any frequency where it's not needed. You just want a top up. Also, when you are on a longer trip and wanting to increase range quickly, you don't want that type of charger right in the middle of town.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Reading Park and Ride has two rapids with a time limit of 90 minutes and nothing on-site to do during the wait time. As a result they are rarely used.

I’d have preferred the budget being spent on something like 20x11kW posts instead of the 2x50kW rapids, so shoppers could leave vehicles plugged-in without worrying about overstay fees or blocking charger access during their trip into town: which is likely to be a minimum of 4 hours given the return bus ride.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
3.6 kW AC at an MSA with a two hour parking limit?
True, but a long row of 3kW posts at a park and ride would be ideal. That way you don't get into the problem of sitting fully charged for half the day and parking on a charger.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
All chargers are good, in whatever location. Never ever look a charger in the eye and say you shouldn't exist.
Not they shouldn't exist, just that they should be right type of the right amount.

Aren't we getting past the point where an EV owner is just grateful for any charger?

It should be built into planning applications etc.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
3.6 kW AC at an MSA with a two hour parking limit?

I’d rather have a chocolate fire guard.
The wee man behind the counter on his 12 hour shift would find it handy, which proves my point that every charger is a good charger: the only bad chargers are ones which didn't get installed

·
Registered
15,740 Posts
The wee man behind the counter on his 12 hour shift would find it handy, which proves my point that every charger is a good charger: the only bad chargers are ones which didn't get installed
What about the council that installed a rapid charger using grant funding that's kept behind a locked gate (for employees only), when they could have installed 20 destination chargers for the same money in the car park?

·
Registered
449 Posts
Is it just me, or are a lot of the charger installations going in at the moment not suit the location?

If there was actual overall UK wide network planning as to what charging infrastructure was needed, would rapid/ultra chargers be installed in retail car parks in central town locations?
I'm not defending whether rapid chargers in town centres are right / wrong / best use or not. But the thought came to mind that the c40% of the population without off street parking MAY be happy for the opportunity for a quickish charge in the centre of the town when popping in for other things. Without having to go to the outskirts of town to the ring road or major A road or whatever. Yes, I appreciate that slower (fast) chargers also make sense but I'm sure that some of the 40% people will also welcome rapids in the centre of towns. Sometimes what is right or wanted by one person is seen as something different by others.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
What about the council that installed a rapid charger using grant funding that's kept behind a locked gate (for employees only), when they could have installed 20 destination chargers for the same money in the car park?
I know of one like that too. It's a good charger for council employees. The bad chargers are the ones you mention but weren't iinstalled.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
I'm not defending whether rapid chargers in town centres are right / wrong / best use or not. But the thought came to mind that the c40% of the population without off street parking MAY be happy for the opportunity for a quickish charge in the centre of the town when popping in for other things. Without having to go to the outskirts of town to the ring road or major A road or whatever. Yes, I appreciate that slower (fast) chargers also make sense but I'm sure that some of the 40% people will also welcome rapids in the centre of towns. Sometimes what is right or wanted by one person is seen as something different by others.
Brilliant post, good summary, different strokes for different folks.

All chargers are good.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
BMW i3, Zoe, 2020 Niro?
All Teslas, Smart EVs.
Ohhh can I join in the wildly off topic thread :)
Mercedes B Class Electric Drive (it's a Tesla drive train).
Loads of stuff on the continent (guess they don't count).
Pedantically I think it's MY2021 e-Niro for the 3 phase.
The one that tends to explode Zappi's 🤣

·
Registered
706 Posts
How about a handy rapid situated just off the A1 but out of the blue physically relocated to a community center in the middle of a huge council estate surrounded by a moat of a thousand speed bumps! Sigh...

·
Registered
Renault ZOE R135 ZE50 GTLine July 2020 (Sold: R90 ZE40 i Dynamic Nav June 2017)
554 Posts
We have our problems. But what about those driving ICE? Remote(ish) communities, such as Applecross (West coast of Scotland) and Hawes (Yorkshire Dales), have had to take their petrol stations into community ownership or they would have lost them. Other areas have seen them all close. So ICE drivers are starting to feel the effects of loss of their 'charging stations'.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts