Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I had the car serviced this week and found one tyre was cut and so needs to be replaced. Since the fronts are getting a bit worn and a possible back friday deal, I figured it time to get away from the nexens.

I really want to reduce noise, better grip and with little impact on range.

I happened to see that the current kona is fitted with Michelin Primacy 4 (presumably S1) and getting better range ... so I guess thats a contender.

These are the ones that caught my eye ... any thoughts ?

NameEfficiencyWet gripNoisemytyres.co.uk costNotes
Nexen N Fera SU1 215/55 R17 94V 4PRBC71£79.99Current
Michelin Primacy 4 215/55 R17 94V S1AB69£129.29On new kona
Michelin CrossClimate + 215/55 R17 94VCB69£144.69
Continental AllSeasonContact 215/55 R17 98V XLBB72£128.79
Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance 215/55 R17 94VBB68£83.89
Continental EcoContact 6 225/55 R17 97W *AB71£102.29
Michelin Energy Saver 215/55 R17 94HBB71£177.89

Any thoughts ? Anything else I should look for ?

Cheers.

·
Premium Member
1,128 Posts
We’ve got the Goodyear Vector 4 Seasons. Quieter with much better grip in wet and dry. Wheels never spin even with quick get aways or sudden braking unlike the Nexens. Done 30k miles in them and still in good nick. Probably took a little bit of a hit on range although difficult to tell as car spends most of life on motorway and we don’t tend to drive very economically.

·
Registered
Kona 64
739 Posts
I replaced the Nexens last month with Michelin Cross Climates. Bizarrely 98W’s are cheaper than 94V. The new tyres are much quieter and the noise is less harsh. I can not yet vouch for their wnter performance but we have Cross Climates on my wife’s Fiesta which have performed well winter and summer. This is the deal with BlackCircles who I used. Down in price since September by £16 since I bought mine. Order before it snows and the price goes up!

·
Hyundai Kona convert...
238 Posts
I went for 4 x Goodyears last week after 37k on factory fit Nexens. At 41psi all round, they are quiet, reassuring in the wet, but give a fairly hard ride. I may reduce pressures for a more compliant ride, but the payoff so far is the economy, Journeys of a regular 4.2 mi/ kWh is now 3.9-4.0...so, a 5% reduction. Slightly disappointed tbh - hope you do better!

·
Registered
66 Posts
I believe it should be 36psi all round, so you have scope to come down a bit on pressure.
I have some Crossclimate+s ready to go on - they are the W rated which were cheaper than the V as EGinB said. When I asked why I was told it was to clear stock as a new W rated version was coming with better numbers - wet grip from B to A. There was about £25.00 per tyre difference.

·
Registered
225 Posts
We fitted Crossclimate, much quieter, way more grip didn’t see any loss of range, they do appear to be wearing more quickly than the Nexen’s, but I guess that’s not so surprising. Will probably go for the Primacy 4 next time, see if there is an improvement in range (I’m not holding my breath).

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Many thanks for the thoughts on this.

Does anyone know what the difference is for a "XL" tyre in practice ? I noticed the following :
  • Michelin primacy 4 215/55 R17 94V S1 - rated at A / B / 69dB
  • Michelin primacy 4 215/55 R17 98W XL S1 - rated at A / A / 68dB
I know it stands for extra load, but any downsides ? The extra ratings seem too good to be true ! I wondered, for example, if they are heavier and so might reduce range ( despite the A rating ).

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have a prepaid booking at Kwik fit in the morning. (Tuesday) I have decided to ditch the Nexens with only 3,000 on the clock and fit the following. With the 15% discount as advertised.

Total£475.60
Discount£74.40
Sub Total£550.00
Description
4 x Michelin CrossClimate+ at £124.00
Tyre Size 215/55W17
£496.00
4 x Wheel Balancing at £6.75£27.00
4 x Standard Valve or TPMS Valve Stem/Service Kit at £4.75£19.00
4 x Environmental Tyre Disposal at £2.00£8.00
1 x Express FittingFREE
So with 15% discount £475.60 and then Topcashback makes a total of £462.46 = £115.615 a tyre.
Plus the Free Michelin Wireless Earbuds (offer ends 30th November)

·
Registered
182 Posts
Yup, XL is a general label meaning extra load, but the more important code is the 98W v's 94V. 98W is a higher max. speed rating, and a heavier load rating - think higher performance tyre, which will have a stronger construction, and likely weigh more.
Reduced range isn't a given, depends on compound composition too, but I would think a reduction is more likely than not.
The OEM rating is 94V, if range is your priority stick with that.
You would get quicker answers by Googling, there are plenty of good resources online...

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Need advice on this please.
This is first car with TPMS that I have had tyres changed. I have read the manual and understand that TPMS will reset itself after driving a bit. But do I need to shut down and lock car before they lift it to stop TPMS alerts or just shut it down only.
Thank you.
When I had mine changed I did nothing specific and had no problems.

Reactions: Dan_Gleebitz

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
FYI, I thought I would ask Michellin about the difference between :
  • Primacy 4 215/55 R17 94V S1, rated at A / B / 69dB
  • Primacy 4 215/55 R17 98W XL S1, rated at A / A / 68dB
They replied :

Regarding your query. The XL marking from MICHELIN is an internal marking that stands for "extra load", and simply indicates that this tyre have a higher load index compared to the same tyre in the same size.
However please keep in mind that speed indexes and load indexes have no impact on longevity and performances, or that the tyre would be quieter.
It's a homologation/approval. It's just for a matter of safety, and is depends on the car model.

The S1 or S2 marking is also internal MICHELIN markings that indicates that this tyre came as an original equipment to some vehicles and that something in the compound has been changed in order to provide better results in all categories due to demands from the car manufacturer.

According to our database your original homologation is 94V.
When it comes to load index you are always allowed to go up, however never down.
When it comes to the speed index, you are allowed to go up with summer tyres and down with winter tyres.

As W is higher than V the 98W will be perfectly fine to fit on your vehicle, as well as the 94V.
Of course the one with 98W as load and speed index have only 68db as external noise levels so if this is important for you we recommend the MICHELIN Primacy 4 215/55 R17 98W XL S1, rated at A / A / 68dB.

The weight of the tyre is no information shared on the website however these tyres should weigh about 9,5kg.

Regarding the test results, unfortunately we do not have any more information to provide you with when it comes to this as the information we have (letter rating) is what we published on the webpage.

I hope this information is helpful for you. MICHELIN is happy to accompany you on every journey and would like to thank you for your confidence.

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
Interesting, I never knew you were allowed to go down on the speed rating if you fitted winters! Not that many EVs ever go anywhere near the speed-rating of the tyres on them.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts