Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
MY14 Volt
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. When I bought my UK MY14 Volt it came with a 'spare' set of new alloys and TPMS sensors. Switched to them today with new tyres. Driving home I first got a Detected winter tyres message, then some time after 'Service tyre pressure monitoring system' and yellow warning light.

The above messages come up continually, can't hold down select to go into tpms reset. Any ideas?
Thanks
Simon

·
Ampera aka IGOR
2,927 Posts
I know the UK Ampera's have automatic learning for the TPMS so I would have thought that the UK Volts would have the same. I seem to recall reading on the US Chevy Volt forum that if there is no TPMS fitted (i.e. winter tyres) then the first message would make sense and it would disable the alarm. Do the spare wheel valve stems look the same as the original ones? You might be able to tell if they have TPMS fitted or not.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
23,039 Posts
Hi all. When I bought my UK MY14 Volt it came with a 'spare' set of new alloys and TPMS sensors. Switched to them today with new tyres. Driving home I first got a Detected winter tyres message, then some time after 'Service tyre pressure monitoring system' and yellow warning light.

The above messages come up continually, can't hold down select to go into tpms reset. Any ideas?
Thanks
Simon
Assuming there is no actual fault with the sensors but that it's not picking them up, after 20 [I think it is] start ups the warning goes away, assumes you have winter tyres, and doesn't bother you again. Of course, you get no pressure readings.

If the sensors 'should' be working then the sensors are bad.

How do you know these spares have TPMS in them? Have you checked?

·
MY14 Volt
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had 4 shiny rims and a bag of four TPMS sensors, that's how I know.
It is all genuine GM/Acdelco.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Most TPMS sensors are shipped from the factory in sleep mode, so the battery life is not consumed whilst sitting on the shelf. Any good tyre shop will have a TPMS tool that can awaken ANY brand of TPMS sensor and ensure it is recognised by the ECU. Does not have to be a GM or Vauxhall tool.

·
23,039 Posts
I had 4 shiny rims and a bag of four TPMS sensors, that's how I know.
It is all genuine GM/Acdelco.
Ah! Bonzer!

I think @freddym might have it there. Once activated they will auto learn their position, but you might well need to initiate them. I am not sure exactly what or why that is, they usually exploit a JFET type transistor so it keeps a virtually infinite impedance unless triggered.

So the other possibility is that they are bad or not the right ones.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
ATEQ make very good TPMS tools, that will work with all brands and models. I have one myself, has saved all sorts of grief. Ask your tyre shop which brand and model of TPMS tool they use before giving them the job. The tool will be able to identify, serial numbers, battery status and pressure reading etc

·
23,039 Posts
It might not be. The US 315MHz sensor aren't autolearning like the EU ones.

But it might do that as well, sorry, don't know.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Nah, buy a proper tool from a proper (,non eBay) seller. It will not be that cheap. A decent Tyre shop is a better bet all round.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts