Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. This is a 2017 leaf Tekna 30kWhr. Tyre Pressure Monitoring system warning light came on, flashing first, then steady, with no message on dash. Instruction book says it can be reset, which I did, but no effect. At service the dealer said the sensor had come adrift inside the tyre, and fitted a new one at £159+VAT. This was in a wheel for which the whole wheel and tyre had been replaced 3500 miles ago so the valve and sensor were either new or refitted from the wheel which was replaced (pothole damage). The new wheel and tyre show no sign of any damage. I challenged the dealer on the basis that a sensor, if fitted properly, should not detach itself, and that the fault was either poor workmanship or a faulty part. Dealer says that Nissan won't replace the part because I have probably hit a big bump which will have dislodged the sensor. I think that's rubbish - if there's no other damage to the car, this part should not just fall off. Any one else experience this?

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Hi all. This is a 2017 leaf Tekna 30kWhr. Tyre Pressure Monitoring system warning light came on, flashing first, then steady, with no message on dash. Instruction book says it can be reset, which I did, but no effect. At service the dealer said the sensor had come adrift inside the tyre, and fitted a new one at £159+VAT. This was in a wheel for which the whole wheel and tyre had been replaced 3500 miles ago so the valve and sensor were either new or refitted from the wheel which was replaced (pothole damage). The new wheel and tyre show no sign of any damage. I challenged the dealer on the basis that a sensor, if fitted properly, should not detach itself, and that the fault was either poor workmanship or a faulty part. Dealer says that Nissan won't replace the part because I have probably hit a big bump which will have dislodged the sensor. I think that's rubbish - if there's no other damage to the car, this part should not just fall off. Any one else experience this?
It's going to be fairly difficult to dispute what the dealer is saying.....

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi @freddym. I don't find it difficult at all, and I have my line of attack prepared for the small claims court, should it come to that. Complaint sent to Nissan customer services. I'll post the result. What other bits fall off a car when one is simply driving around?

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Hi @freddym. I don't find it difficult at all, and I have my line of attack prepared for the small claims court, should it come to that. Complaint sent to Nissan customer services. I'll post the result. What other bits fall off a car when one is simply driving around?
Good luck. Always a good call to choose one's battles wisely.

Dealer may refund you just to avoid loss of his time and bad publicity.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good luck. Always a good call to choose one's battles wisely.

Dealer may refund you just to avoid loss of his time and bad publicity.
I've had a few skirmishes in the small claims court, mostly successful. Best one was IKEA over a dishwasher which needed a new controller after a couple of years. They put a solicitor on the job who must have been on my phone for an hour all told. Then they settled. On my next visit to IKEA Wednesbury for a charge up, I looked in and the same dishwasher was on sale with a 5 year warranty.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts