Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to buy some tye pressure sensors for my spare wheel set, it's nearly time for new fron tyres

anyone have any recommnedations ?

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Ditto

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,567 Posts
I may be wrong but I would have thought they would have to be genuine GM ones for the car to pick up the signal. I heard something at a tyre place regarding an Audi that needed a new sensor and having to get it from the VW/Audi garage. Also the Ampera sensors will be reset automatically if the wheels are swapped whereas the Volts in the US seem to need a special tool. The handbook mentions that the automatic reset, if fitted, will do the job and I called the Ampera helpline to check what I had and was told that all UK Amperas came with the automatic reset.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There are standard frequencies so non OEM is perfectly possible, the systems will be common across a range of cars so the sensors will be produced by the 1000's just a case of getting the right ones

·
Registered
595 Posts
My brain hurts (again), I have been in TPMS hell for a few days.
This I thought on EBay was correct but the guy tells me its not compatible, its listed as 'GM 13581560 for Vauxhall'. @HandyAndy link looked good but if I enter car details it says its not compatible, @phildenholm link looks good but I get two choices £72 for replicated/cloned or a Schrader snap in for £45.
So now I am a gibbering wreck with a complete lack of confidence in which one to go for, I think @Chronos went through this a while ago. So can I ask what others have eventually bought and if there were any problems.
Just for information anyone know what an original GM Ampera one would cost, Im not sure but I think the Volt has a different system.
EDIT
Eventually bought a 'Universal 433Mhz TPMS MX-Sensor - Programmed for your Vehicle' from TPMS Warehouse as suggested by @phildenholm £60https://www.tpmswarehouse.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=111

·
Premium Member
11,448 Posts
Im not sure but I think the Volt has a different system.
USA Volt has a different system due to RF regulations, etc. EU Ampera and Volt use same system.

Reactions: Freebird

·
Registered
Kia eNiro 4+, White
263 Posts
At the risk of resurrecting an old thread - the link pointed to above is no longer valid.
What about these: US $49.99 |DPQPOKHYY 4PCS 13348393 Tire Pressure TPMS Sensor For Opel Astra Cascada Ampera Zafira-in Tire Pressure Monitor Systems from Automobiles & Motorcycles on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group
[The URL points to an long wall of text type URL at AliExpress]

They seem to look the same
DPQPOKHYY 4PCS 13348393 Tire Pressure TPMS Sensor For Opel Astra Cascada Ampera Zafira

Way back when TPMS was new I put "inside the tyre" type TPMS on my Volvo. They worked but the tyre fitters kept breaking them (and the volvo went through front tyres like I go through grapes). I would like to have some spares hanging around in case of breakages so tyres don't have to keep coming off.

With my last car I used external sensors on the valve. These worked really well and were not subject to fitter breakages. Mind you they did weld themselves once to the valve when I didn't use a dab of copperslip.

Or does anyone have any better suggestions?

A I understand things - these should just work, no learning tool, just plug and go?????

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Make sure you get eu ones as us one use a different frequency

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
There are 2 types of TMPS, the expensive ones that you will have fitted inside the wheel and the ones fitted on the valves.
While the first ones seem to be more precise and less fuss when you need to top up the pressure they are more expensive.
The ones fitted on the valve are far cheaper but will have to be removed when you want to add some air.
If you search, there are some that will have a double valve which allow adding air without removing the sensor.

Example of external TMPS:
2019 2017 Newest LMYSTAR TN300 Wireless Tpms Tire Pressure Monitor System Tmps With Internal Sensors For All Car From Muju, $97.49 | DHgate.Com

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
But they won't work with the internal TPMS display on the car.

Also those look like typical internal sensors - but they just have their own external display
If you're looking to use the car display you either need to use the OEM sensors or find a sensor that will work in the same frequency.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I used a set of eBay cheapo external ones to monitor a suspected slow puncture on my Audi, worked fine, but they do weigh 8gm each so in theory slightly unbalance the wheel.
My local place balances to 5gm which they say is good for 150mph, and I haven't noticed any symptoms of imbalance. Since they were temporary I didn't feel like paying for rebalancing

·
Registered
34 Posts
You're looking for RDKS Schrader OEM 3033 e.g. this one, or an equivalent. There was some discussion about this in another thread but I can't find it. Here's an Amazon link - might not be the cheapest around...
Schrader Clamp in Rdks Sensor 3033, Tyre Pressure Monitoring System-Sensor, TPMS/RDKS: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike
So I had a sensor fail, looked everywhere and went with the Schrader 3033 who are the same manufacturer as the original ones. I was having the warning about TPMS problems for two weeks or so before replacing the sensor.

After replacing it I disconnected the 12v battery for about one hour, the sensor was still not being recognized by the car and even got the warning of a TPMS malfunction again. Watched a YouTube video of a replacement and the car immediately recognized the new sensor. Took about two days for the car to actually recognize the new sensor.

So your mileage might vary, but these sensors do work with our Amperas.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts