Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My TPMS light keeps coming on! Initially pumped up the tyres to recommend PSI and reset but came up the next day driving to work. Then pumped to over the PSI and rest, went for a little drive and it’s come back on again. Checked them when we got home and they were exactly the same PSI, no loss in any of them so not sure why the TPMS keeps flagging?
Help! Does a dealership need to look at this or would a normal tyre garage know how to sort?
P.s I’m a newbie so if I’m missing something glaringly obvious, my apologies.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
9,616 Posts
Sounds like the battery in one of your TPMS has died.
What age of car?
Do you have access to LEAFSpy?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like the battery in one of your TPMS has died.
What age of car?
Do you have access to LEAFSpy?
Oh that doesn’t sound ideal! It’s a 2016, I only got it a few weeks ago. What’s LEAFSpy?

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
9,616 Posts
Five years is about their average life.

LEAFSpy is inexpensive software that you can run on a smartphone and via a suitable OBD2 dongle interrogate the car's systems. It will tell you what each tyre sensor is reading and whether they are all connected.

If you buy LEAFSpy make sure that you research the correct dongle - it's very sensitive.

·
Registered
121 Posts
If it comes on about a minute after driving flashing for about 60 seconds and then goes solid it's either a faulty TPMS sensor, a missing one or a low battery. I just had one replaced and they charged me £43 for it + labour.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If it comes on about a minute after driving flashing for about 60 seconds and then goes solid it's either a faulty TPMS sensor, a missing one or a low battery. I just had one replaced and they charged me £43 for it + labour.
ah okay! Mine can sometimes be a lot longer than a minute once I’ve reset it, but it flashes and then goes solid. Did you get it done at a Nissan garage or just any??

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
9,616 Posts
That's the going rate for a Nissan one. You can get cheaper at a decent tyre shop where labour will be less.

·
Registered
668 Posts
I have exactly the same issue- mine goes into the local stealers for an mot and service on Monday, they are going to replace my sensor. They are only about £20 dearer than a tyre fitters quote so I asked them to get it done. As my car is coming up on 5 years old I wonder if I should get them all done at the same time....anyone got any thoughts on that? Perhaps I'll start a new thread on that.....

OBD2 This works well, https://www.amazon.com/Panlong-Bluetooth-Diagnostic-Scanner-Android/dp/B00PJPHEBO
I got mine from the UK Amazon site for £9.99 but it is no longer listed there, but this one looks the same.

Torque Pro Android OBD Bluetooth Fault Scanner/Diagnostic Code Reader: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike

The Panalong one automatically connects to my phablet on ignition (or whatever we call the ev equivalent-start or what have you) and I have set the phablet up to auto display leafspy pro when I start off.

·
Registered
5,655 Posts
Thanks for the heads up. No problems with my 2016 Leaf's tyre pressure sensors yet but I'll be on the lookout.

Leafspy is great here as it shows the exact pressure reported by each tyre and also shows the number greyed out if the sensor hasn't reported in, so you could immediately figure out which wheel is playing up. (Although if its just battery life all will probably die within a few months of each other)

Mileage would also be a factor in TPMS battery life as the sensors go to sleep and stop transmitting when the wheel isn't rotating and isn't changing in pressure, so a higher mileage car will probably use up the TPMS sensor batteries faster.

When the car is stood for a while it takes about 50 metres of driving for the TPMS sensors to wake up and start reporting in - so the car won't flag an error immediately because it's not expecting to hear from the sensors until the car has been driven a little bit, but if it continues to hear nothing it will eventually report an error.

This "waking up" of the sensors can be seen in Leaf spy if you leave it running on the tyre pressure screen before setting off - initially the numbers will be greyed out, (pressure unknown) then after driving for a bit each sensor will change from greyed out to black when it reports in.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts