Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked my Ampera up on Friday, and I'm having a right good geek fest with it :D

One thing however I noticed, the car pulled everso slightly to the left, most people wouldn't notice but I'm super fussy with things like that.

Before taking the car to have the tracking looked at I thought I'd check the tyre pressures. The car display showed that all were at 34psi (cold) however measuring them with my handheld gauge showed that the near side front consistently measured 32psi. A quick reinflate all round up to 36psi (between the comfort and Eco settings) on my gauge and the car drives nice and straight.

So.. Don't rely on your incar gauges to give you accurate readings

·
Militant EV driver!
4,563 Posts
Yes I've noticed mine vary by about 2 PSI.

Mine were down at 32 so I pumped them up to 35, but I'm not confident that the garage compressor was being accurate.

One of the Volt guys said they run them at 40 PSI. Anyone gone that high?

·
Registered
406 Posts
Yes I run mine at 40psi and find the ride acceptable also got over 60mpg doing 70 up the motorway using hold mode so it seems to be OK

·
Registered
7,249 Posts
That is very interesting. Since new our car has pulled ever so slightly left. I mentioned it to the dealer and as the car is going to be going in to the the front passenger seat replaced at some point (when the speare parts arrive) they were going to reset tracking then.

However, I will check the pressures again with a separate guage instead of using the tyre pressure reporting system as I have don to date.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I partly ignore the automatic pressure readings as all four can be different and can differ up to 2psi.
Ideal as a guide to pressure only and not to be relied on.
I think it is better to use one accurate digital gauge for all 4 tyres, at least they are all the same.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts