Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
E-Niro 64kWh '4' since 22/9/20 (was Prius)
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Though it’s against all rules and recommendations typically, I run my tyres at 33 (cold) all round. The improvement in ride is quite significant and the handling is great. My car was delivered with 38F 36R cold. The ride was harsh.

Now it’s smooth as silk and not a single rattle anywhere even over rough terrain. That was something which really impressed me about the car. I hope it doesn’t get rattly with age!

I rarely use motorways and never carry full loads.

Peter

·
Registered
371 Posts
So I noticed that android auto doesn't use the whole screen up .....
Just kidding. :)

I drove my car away from the dealers with tyre pressure at 41psi. Didn't notice for a week. I reduced it to 36 or so and a later drive with me in the rear resulted in me finding out that I absolutely hate sitting at the back of a Niro EV due to the overwhelming car sickness I encountered. Gonna try your suggestion of reducing the tyre pressure further to see if that helps.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Just occurred to me. What if the rear tyres were at 33 and the front at 36? It might help with the car sickness at the back but leave the front tyres are recommended pressure. Or doesn't it work like that?

·
Registered
401 Posts
After many days of trials our FE we felt that 40psi, cold, garaged, all round was the most comfortable and best handling for our roads and driving style. It also deals well with the many, and growing, potholes in this area and no rattles.

·
Registered
194 Posts
If you measure the tire wear across the tire, you can find the "best" inflation pressure, in the US the pressure is specced at 36 psi front and rear.

On my other cars that have $350 each tires, I use a pyrometer (not so expensive) to measure the temp across the surface, if you get it even, you have the right pressure... go fast for a while, stop, measure. I do it on the freeway.

If you don't do it this way, you can look at long term wear with a $5 tread depth gauge.

The point I am trying to make is that the manufacturer's recommended pressures might not be right for you, they might be "pumped up" for more load carrying, or for lower rolling resistance.

Also the stock tires are noisy!

Greg

·
Registered
E-Niro 64kWh '4' since 22/9/20 (was Prius)
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just occurred to me. What if the rear tyres were at 33 and the front at 36? It might help with the car sickness at the back but leave the front tyres are recommended pressure. Or doesn't it work like that?
It might even be that reducing your pressures could increase the car sick sensations??
Maybe asking the driver to use zero regen without Auto regen might reduce the unpleasant motion sensations for you? I am not great as a passenger anyway and would likely feel the same as you, especially in the rear (of any car). I much prefer to be directly 'in control'.

Not so sure about just reducing rears only, I think it’s better to keep them all in the same ball park. And certainly don’t reduce too far! That definitely would be bad. The weight distribution of this car is likely fairly evenly spread over the four wheels, I would guess.

Peter

·
Registered
194 Posts
The major thing affected is tire wear, reducing pressure often reduces noise and softens the ride. Reduce too much and the sidewalls overheat and the tire fails or comes off.

Raising the pressure reduces rolling resistance, usually increases noise, causes the center of the tire to wear first.

About the carsick situation, need to focus on what motion... usually in a short wheelbase car, in the rear, you are sitting almost over the rears and the rebound whips you up and down too much, but perhaps the causal motion is swaying, etc.

Hard to eliminate with tuning tire pressure.

Greg

1 - 7 of 7 Posts