Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not touched them since new. Monitor reads 33 on 3 whells and 32 on the other.

What do you guys recommend? The winter tyres thread says 39. What does Vauxhall recommend?

·
Hyundai Kona convert...
224 Posts
Mine were reading 31 on the car at purchase all round. Inflated them to 39 at a filling station I (used to) use regularly which read 37-38 in the car. Find now that the car readings are 35 in the morning (cold) on the way to work but 37 on the way home. So, 1) the car under-reads by about 2psi and 2) the pressures are temperature dependent (early morning vs late afternoon).
Ride is a bit firm at times, but still manage 45 miles per charge regularly at 55-65mph...

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
With any car, and especially an EV, if you want maximum range/best economy then keep the tyres at the highest pressure allowed but always within the range permitted in the manual.

Some people go over a little bit but if you go over then you will get reduced stopping performance and it might invalidate your insurance in an accident.

Also, don't rely on the pressure monitor on the car. That is fine to detect a puncture/slow puncture but always use a pressure gauge. My Ampera had a 2psi difference between the dash and the real pressures.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
Agree with the above. The handbook recommends 36psi for "comfort" mode, 39psi for "economy" mode - the latter will give you a tiny bit more economy but a slightly firmer ride. Both of the above are in cold conditions (i.e. before the car is driven - add 1-2psi if you've been driving for a while). The in-car sensors always seem to under-read by 2-3psi. I recently filled all my tyres up to 39psi; the tyre sensors read around 37psi and the freebie compressor that came with the car read 41psi...

So best advice is go to a garage when the car is cold (minimal driving) and inflate to 39psi (or 36psi if you prefer).

Reactions: Paul_Moxhay

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Compressor in the car? Thought that just pumped fluid into a punctured tyre.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
Nope, it has two modes, one is a standard compressor and another is to pump fluid into a punctured tyre.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Nope, it has two modes, one is a standard compressor and another is to pump fluid into a punctured tyre.
It does? Heavens I've had the car for 21 months and I never knew that. I won't use it though, I've had a compressor for years that I keep in the car anyway.

Reactions: Richard Gledhill

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
Doesn't anyone read the manual? ;)

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
99% of it apparently :) That section I skipped because the heading was Tyre Repair Kit, and I thought 'I'm not going to use that gunge and ruin a tyre' :)

Reactions: Brooktop

·
Registered
393 Posts
Talking of tyres...

I wanted to rotate the wheels front to back, back to front keeping the direction of rotation the same as the manual instructs, not thinking about the monitoring system. Tyre shop however raised the issue so I checked. It appears that the car can in fact work out itself which wheel a particular valve is connected to. So when you read page 158 in the manual don't worry too much about the manual bits read the automatic bit - that's what matters. However there is no way to see if things are in fact registering correctly. It will be interesting if one of the tyres develops a fault. Hopefully the system will raise the issue on the right wheel.

·
Registered
393 Posts
No idea how the car works out what is where just hope that the pressures it reports on the diagram in the DIC show the correct pressures for each wheel. One way of checking I suppose is to let a tyre down and see it complains about the correct one. I might do that when i get a moment.

·
Now enjoying my new Kia SOUL EV
2020 Hyundai Ioniq Electric (38.3 kWh) Premium SE in Iron Grey with Shale Grey Interior option
1,324 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts