Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love the car for so many reasons but I'm not liking the rate that its getting through tyres. I'm now thinking that they are underspecified for the car. I've owned the car for just over 1 year and only covered 8000 miles but in that time got through 4 tyres - all punctures or side wall bulges that would have become punctures. The car came with Pirelli Cinturarto P7 235 45 R18 94 W. The tyres are self sealing but only on the tread and offer no protection to the sidewall. I have replaced like for like and they have all failed with less than 25% tread wear. My theory is that the load rating is under specified at 94 which is 680kg The gross weight of the car is 2250kg so it should be ok in theory but experience tells me otherwise. I'm going to open a discussion with VW themselves but sadly I can only offer anecdotal evidence as I have not kept the tyres for examination as I've always needed to replace them on an urgent basis. Two were tyre bulges that needed replacing urgently and 2 were roadside blowouts: one admittedly after a "small" pothole that I don't think should have caused a puncture. And the last accelerating from a right hand junction tuning from a downhill road putting max load on the right rear tyre which gave out with a hole that you could put your finger through - no foreign objects on the smooth road.
I'd be interested to hear if any others on this forum have encountered similar issues.
Also, thank goodness that I carry a space saver in the car as I'd have been stuck in some uncomfortable places!

·
Registered
2015 BMW i3 REx 60ah, Solar Orange
120 Posts
I don't know about this specific problem, but not all tyres are the same. I used to have an A4 V6 TDI quattro and being a heavy car (probably not unlike a Passat) it used to go through tyres and suspension components for breakfast. Vredestein especially, probably due to soft-compound, but this wasn't bulges but just excessive wear. Moved to Dunlop Sport eventually. Now have Michelin CrossClimate tyres on my A4 Allroad and can't fault them. I'd be looking for a minimum of 20-25k miles.

That tyre size is fairly universal, so just swap them out. You can probably get rim protectors to to protect your alloys.

·
Registered
93 Posts
That's a very odd / persistent problem you've had!
I didn't rate the P7s as I felt they broke traction too easily on the front, but they lasted fine.

Are they definitely at the right pressure? Do you drive up a lot of kerbs or on potholed roads?

·
Registered
193 Posts
I'd be interested to hear if any others on this forum have encountered similar issues.
Interesting issue, I had the opposite experience. I had the same P7's on my GTE estate and was pleased that Leaseplan agreed to replace like-for-like when they wore out. I got 18k - 20k wear out of them and only had one replaced in 2.5 years / 45k miles due to a screw in the tread, which had self-sealed so effectively I hadn't noticed it until garage service picked it up. That even included 5-up holidays to south of France and Italy and variety of country roads and Tuscany tracks. Maybe you've been really unlucky? Or maybe someone is producing fake P7's at knockdown prices?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's a very odd / persistent problem you've had!
I didn't rate the P7s as I felt they broke traction too easily on the front, but they lasted fine.

Are they definitely at the right pressure? Do you drive up a lot of kerbs or on potholed roads?
I diligently check the pressures, never go over kerbs and avoid potholes as much as possible. I've discussed with local VW dealer and they consider the Pirelli Cintuato to be prone to this sort of failure but its not a loading issue. Thinking about it I've had to replace all of the tyres that I got with the car in rotation this Wed being the last one. They would have been the first replacement for the original set at about 25K I guess. Perhaps it was a bad batch but I'm sure I'll never find out.
I think that they are are not the best choice of tyre for this car as they have all failed on their side wall and all at around the same milage i.e. about 25% to 50% wear. I will look to something else in about 1 year before I get another failure.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Interesting issue, I had the opposite experience. I had the same P7's on my GTE estate and was pleased that Leaseplan agreed to replace like-for-like when they wore out. I got 18k - 20k wear out of them and only had one replaced in 2.5 years / 45k miles due to a screw in the tread, which had self-sealed so effectively I hadn't noticed it until garage service picked it up. That even included 5-up holidays to south of France and Italy and variety of country roads and Tuscany tracks. Maybe you've been really unlucky? Or maybe someone is producing fake P7's at knockdown prices?
I'm pretty sure that they were not fake - I'd like to think that I'd spot that but you never know. I've never had such a run of punctures in all my 50 or so years of driving. I currently own 6 cars so thats a lot of tyres so I'm not a novice - this is unusually wrong.

·
Registered
420 Posts
My Passat GTE Estate came with Pirelli Cinturato P7 "seal inside" tyres all round, which I am using as my summer tyres. I swap them front to rear each year when I put them back on after winter. So far they have 20k miles on them and they're still in perfect condition - probably about 2/3rds worn at a guess. I inspect them all round every year when I take them off, and so far no problems at all. My only issue with them is that they're a bit noisy - my winter wheels are actually noticeably quieter but it should be the other way round considering the tread on the winter tyres! (The winter wheels are Pirelli Sottozero 3 215/60R16 95H Seal Inside on genuine VW 6.5Jx16 ET41 Aragon alloy wheels).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts