Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had to mend a puncture yet?
I have been reading the instructions for the tyre repair kit to familiarise myself myself with it.
It states that there are two hoses. A black hose for sealant and air and a clear hose for clean air only.
I can only get air from the black hose.
Either I am not understanding the instructions or they are wrong.
My theory is that the black hose is the air hose and the clear hose is for the sealant which possibly discharges air when selecting the air and adhesive mode.
Geoff

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
Are you sure you haven't misread it?

Page 10-39 of my manual has a key for the diagram: "F. Sealant/Air Hose (Clear) G. Air Only Hose (Black)"
So unless they've switched things round (which would be strange since I think the clear hose is so you can see the sealant), it is definitely Black hose for air.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Duncan,
Sorry to mislead you. I should have said that I was referring to the Vauxhall Ampera Owners Manual.
It seems that there may differences between a Volt and an Ampera and maybe I have a repair kit for a Volt as yours seem to be the right instructions for my repair kit.

My instructions read: page 162.
The tyre repair kit has two hoses the black sealant/air hose is intended to temporarily seal and inflate a punctured tyre. The clear air only hose is intended to inflate a not punctured tyre without sealant.
Follow the directions closely for correct usage.

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
I would be very surprised if the repair kit was different between the two models, apart from the obvious trim differences almost everything is identical. Most likely they re-wrote the manual and simply got it wrong. Perhaps one of the other Ampera owners can confirm?

FWIW, a quick Google search indicates that the 2012 model Volt inflator is part number 25913642, but for the 2013 model it is 22937291 so there has been some kind of update. Both part numbers are the same for several other GM cars.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have just looked online and found that you can download the Ampera owners manual. The instructions for the tyre repair kit are identical to mine. I await to hear of the first unfortunate person to have a puncture and get either themselves or their car covered in adhesive and still have a puncture. I will see what Vauxhall have to say.
I also found that you can download the Chevrolet Volt owners manual which seemed to me to be better than the Ampera manual.

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
LK13 said:
I have used the pump to inflate the tyres on my 2013 Ampera. Used the black hose with no problems.
I think that's the important thing. Use the pump to inflate your tyres on a nice bright sunny day so you know how the settings work and which pipe is which. Don't leave the first use it for a random roadside at midnight with horizontal rain.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hi, I tried to use my tyre pump yesterday. Just wanted to add a little air to the offside rear. I couldn't get it to work at all (yes I read the instructions ;-) I can't turn to selector dial from sealant to air. Anyone had a similar problem? I'm also concerned because it makes no noise when I plug it in (maybe the 12V adapter or cable is damaged?). Anyone out there had a similar problem/solution?

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
The selector should move. There will be a fuse in the 12v Plug but more important was the car on, the Ampera turns off the 12v Sockets when you turn off and open the door.The pump fires up when the on/off switch is pressed. Its a good little pump.
I have a washable tyre filler - not the included (now out of date) one.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts