Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2018 e-Golf
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pulled in to the tyre shop because I had a flat and tread was low anyway and the fella tells me because I have a “GTE” I have to use the same tyres or it will drain the battery 3 times quicker….

facepalm.

Reactions: cah197

·
Super Moderator
7,570 Posts
Well you do want low rolling resistance ones, preferably low noise, and thery're probably a high weight rating, so does depends what's available in the size you need...!

Reactions: TJEV

·
Registered
2018 e-Golf
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well you do want low rolling resistance ones, preferably low noise, and thery're probably a high weight rating, so does depends what's available in the size you need...!
Fair enough, but he was adimant it had to be the EXACT same. The DUnlops on there were D rated for economy and the new ones I had him put on are B! so if anything its going to marginally increase the range!

Reactions: Edd Beesley

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
2,873 Posts
Fair enough, but he was adimant it had to be the EXACT same. The DUnlops on there were D rated for economy and the new ones I had him put on are B! so if anything its going to marginally increase the range!
They should be identical on each axle - i.e don't mix types on one axle but I'm sure it's not illegal to do so in the UK provided the tyre specs are the same in all respects. (size, load rating, XL/not XL)

·
Registered
2018 e-Golf
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They should be identical on each axle - i.e don't mix types on one axle but I'm sure it's not illegal to do so in the UK provided the tyre specs are the same in all respects. (size, load rating, XL/not XL)
Absolutely. I was getting both fronts replaced anyway as the tread was very low.

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
2,873 Posts
Absolutely. I was getting both fronts replaced anyway as the tread was very low.
What did you fit?
I have crappy Dunlop Enasavers on the rear and the excellent Michelin Primacy 4S2 (A for efficiency) on the front.

·
Registered
2018 e-Golf
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
What did you fit?
I have crappy Dunlop Enasavers on the rear and the excellent Michelin Primacy 4S2 (A for efficiency) on the front.
Dunlop Blueresponse i think they are. I just go on the A-E rating of economy and grip and get something mid range,

The back ones are Hankook and i think they are E rated :ROFLMAO: previous owner put them on but they arent even close to wearing out

·
Registered
2020 BMW i3S 120Ah BEV
685 Posts
We had the bluresponse on our golf. Efficiency thumbs up. Soft sidewall wiggly borderline unsafe handling, serious thumbs down ...

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have an Etron on lease. Lease includes replacement tyres. Lease firm is well know for being tight and minimises expenditure by normally insisting that replacements are much lower cost variety than those fitted at point of delivery and do not put matching tyres on same axle.

However, when I had a puncture which could g be repaired I was surprised to be told by lease firm that because the Etron is 4x4 all 4 tyres must be of same variety, ie the replacement must match the three factory originals. Bonus!

If there is any truth in this, I assume it applies to all 4x4s? ..... including many EVs?

·
Registered
2018 e-Golf
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
We had the bluresponse on our golf. Efficiency thumbs up. Soft sidewall wiggly borderline unsafe handling, serious thumbs down ...
Oh dear! Well it’s done now so we shall see!

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
2,873 Posts
Oh dear! Well it’s done now so we shall see!
More down to how you drive than the tyre, at least with major brand tyres but report back after you've run them in for a couple of weeks. Always good to hear actual owners feedback than opinions.

·
Registered
Mercedes EQC 400 4matic on order
117 Posts
I hope you read the death from tyres on the front contributions on the Soul part of the forum🤗
The example was an attempt to make a serious point. Loosing control of a car in that case had fatal consequences identified in the coronors verdict. We are all far too blase about safety and just because we think we know better we take risks we should not. There were some reasonable arguments made as to why people felt it was better to put new tyres on the front and it certainly seems counterintuitive not to but the testing evidence shows simply it is not a good practice due to the aquaplaning problems. On another forum I follow a chap luckily walked out of a wrecked e class saloon which was travelling at 130km in a straight line on a motorway, no other traffic and the car aquaplaned it ended up rolling several times and just stopped on its roof before smashing into a bridge. Guess what, he had new tyres on the front and asked they be fitted there as the back were in pretty good condition. Now if all you do is pootle about in a city car with no motorway or dual carriage way driving you will probably be fine as you are less likely to be travelling at a higher speed and can correct things if it goes wrong and if you crash it will be less severe but those going onto motorways should think carefully. For my part sharing the roads with other drivers I would be grateful if you would listen the the experts😉

·
Registered
6,061 Posts
The example was an attempt to make a serious point. Loosing control of a car in that case had fatal consequences identified in the coronors verdict. We are all far too blase about safety and just because we think we know better we take risks we should not. There were some reasonable arguments made as to why people felt it was better to put new tyres on the front and it certainly seems counterintuitive not to but the testing evidence shows simply it is not a good practice due to the aquaplaning problems. On another forum I follow a chap luckily walked out of a wrecked e class saloon which was travelling at 130km in a straight line on a motorway, no other traffic and the car aquaplaned it ended up rolling several times and just stopped on its roof before smashing into a bridge. Guess what, he had new tyres on the front and asked they be fitted there as the back were in pretty good condition. Now if all you do is pootle about in a city car with no motorway or dual carriage way driving you will probably be fine as you are less likely to be travelling at a higher speed and can correct things if it goes wrong and if you crash it will be less severe but those going onto motorways should think carefully. For my part sharing the roads with other drivers I would be grateful if you would listen the the experts😉
Groan. If you want to be safer, slow down and drive to the conditions. Take a break at regular intervals on long trips. Don't get distracted by tech in the car. Take an advanced driving course. These are all the real world steps that EXPERTS advise and practise.

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
2,873 Posts
Groan. If you want to be safer, slow down and drive to the conditions. Take a break at regular intervals on long trips. Don't get distracted by tech in the car. Take an advanced driving course. These are all the real world steps that EXPERTS advise and practise.
Add 'car control' to the list.
The first thing I do when changing cars is to explore the handling limits on dry, greasy or wet roads. (traffic free in case it goes horribly wrong)
I then know what to expect on the limit (eg emergency avoidance) - lift off oversteer, roll oversteer, understeer, drastic understeer, a neutral drift or total unpredictability. It's a bit late finding out the hard way!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts