Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last mot 2 tyres needed changing and one recommended the Nissan garage replaced with 215 50 R17 W. When you put in Reg mark on tyre sites recommended is the 215 50 R17 V. I have also read that You can invalidate your car insurance by fitting new tyres that have a lower speed rating than the manufacturer's original fit.

What speed rating should the 2nd gen Tekna have? The owners manual says to ask dealer. I am now thinking I will need to replace 2 two match. Just checked only 1 is a v

·
Registered
5,553 Posts
Check the door card inside the drivers door frame for tyre size/rating specifications specific to your car. Online number plate lookups are often wrong - they are for my ICE car where they get the speed rating wrong.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, I didn’t think of that they should be 215 50r17 91v Nissan have put 95w.

I am going to need to change 4 so not very impressed as 2 were changed 14/7

·
Registered
5,553 Posts
There's nothing wrong with replacing a V rated tyre (149mph) with a W rated one, (168mph) you can use a higher speed rated tyre than original but not lower than original factory spec shown on the door card.

The higher load rating (95 instead of 91) may cause a firmer/harsher ride though, but if you're happy with the ride I wouldn't worry about that.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There's nothing wrong with replacing a V rated tyre (149mph) with a W rated one, (168mph) you can use a higher speed rated tyre than original but not lower than original factory spec shown on the door card.

The higher load rating (95 instead of 91) may cause a firmer/harsher ride though, but if you're happy with the ride I wouldn't worry about that.
Thank you

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
You may benefit from reading this thread about abnormal tyre wear patterns on Tekna model of the age of yours. You don't say whether it's a Tekna or not.
Same applies to the Acenta, the problem seems to be that Nissan got the measurement specifications wrong for the rear beam (or altered their specification to match the dimensions their press was producing for the rear beam). I get through two sets of rear tyres for each set of front tyres.

·
Registered
GOLF GTE PHEV
4,004 Posts
Last mot 2 tyres needed changing and one recommended the Nissan garage replaced with 215 50 R17 W. When you put in Reg mark on tyre sites recommended is the 215 50 R17 V. I have also read that You can invalidate your car insurance by fitting new tyres that have a lower speed rating than the manufacturer's original fit.

What speed rating should the 2nd gen Tekna have? The owners manual says to ask dealer. I am now thinking I will need to replace 2 two match. Just checked only 1 is a v
I recommend Michelin Primacy 4 S2, 215/50/17/91v. (the 'S2' is important as it means A for efficiency otherwise they are B for efficiency. They are also quieter and more comfortable than the Dunlop Enasavers, + have better grip.

Speed ratiing is not important provided it is higher than oem.
Don't fit a higher load rating or XL rated tyres or you will spoil the ride comfort.

Kwikfit were doing 10% off for two or 15% off for 4 but only have 0% credit and the prices have gone up since I had their mobile fitter swap the fronts out in Feb.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Ah, thanks Dave-on-the-Hill, I thought from the earlier threads that it was peculiar to Teknas. Our 2014 Leaf Tekna, thanks to Covid19 mainly, has done about 4,000 miles only since we acquired it so I doubt much change has occurred yet. I did measure the tyres each in three places across the width in that fit of enthusiasm that accompanies the buying of a new car, but that zest for knowledge hasn't persisted and I have no idea what the current depths are. Next time I feel inclined I'll get down on my knees and check!

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
8,712 Posts
Just the normal reminder that moving to the non-Tekna 205/55/R16 tyres on appropriate wheels makes a significant improvement in ride and brings the cost of tyres to around £60 each.

·
Registered
305 Posts
If your car is a 40kwh Tekna then tyres are 215 50 17 91V. I would recommend Goodyear Efficent Grip Performance 2 tyres. Just had a set fitted to my Leaf 40kwh. Very impressed. Much quieter now, ride feels smoother, and handling feels a tad more positive. They are optimised for rolling efficiency and are good for maintaining a good electric range. There are some good deals around at the moment for these tyres. Hope that helps. Simon.

·
Registered
GOLF GTE PHEV
4,004 Posts
If your car is a 40kwh Tekna then tyres are 215 50 17 91V. I would recommend Goodyear Efficent Grip Performance 2 tyres. Just had a set fitted to my Leaf 40kwh. Very impressed. Much quieter now, ride feels smoother, and handling feels a tad more positive. They are optimised for rolling efficiency and are good for maintaining a good electric range. There are some good deals around at the moment for these tyres. Hope that helps. Simon.
Yes, they were my second choice and will likely try them when the MP4s need replacing. Michelin do make an EV version of the MP4 but not in the Leaf's size.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts