Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone help me out and confirm what make/model of tyres are currently being supplied on the 4+ please. I’m taking delivery of my new 4+ later this month and will be immediately swapping the tyres for all-season tyres (probably Michelin Cross Climates), and the supply in dealer will give me a trade in if the OEM tyres are a decent brand.

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
1,530 Posts
Why do you want to spoil your new EV with noisier and harsher tyres? My experience of them, and wasn't impressed. No tyre exists that works great all year round otherwise no manufacturer would make winter and summer tyres.
The CCs were 5th in the review below, and poor for noise and, more importantly for an EV, rolling resistance......

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Why do you want to spoil your new EV with noisier and harsher tyres? My experience of them, and wasn't impressed. No tyre exists that works great all year round otherwise no manufacturer would make winter and summer tyres.
The CCs were 5th in the review below, and poor for noise and, more importantly for an EV, rolling resistance......

I’ve used Cross Climates on a number of cars over the years (as well as having dedicated summer and winter tyres in some cars too), and living in rural Scotland I will see the benefit from the improved grip in cold/wet conditions, and be better equipped in the snow too. By the time conditions are bad enough to need full winter tyres I’ll not have the ground clearance to be able to use them. It’s not uncommon for the roads around my house to have two tyre and a centre pile of (often frozen snow) that would beach most cars, so only tractors and proper 4x4s will be able to get about. For example, it was only 4 degrees outside an hour ago (before 6pm) and there has been sleet and snow showers. I can still see snow on the hills from my front door!

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
1,530 Posts
I’ve used Cross Climates on a number of cars over the years (as well as having dedicated summer and winter tyres in some cars too), and living in rural Scotland I will see the benefit from the improved grip in cold/wet conditions, and be better equipped in the snow too. By the time conditions are bad enough to need full winter tyres I’ll not have the ground clearance to be able to use them. It’s not uncommon for the roads around my house to have two tyre and a centre pile of (often frozen snow) that would beach most cars, so only tractors and proper 4x4s will be able to get about. For example, it was only 4 degrees outside an hour ago (before 6pm) and there has been sleet and snow showers. I can still see snow on the hills from my front door!
That's fair enough. I live near Alnwick and this is the first winter for years that we had significant ice and snow. The Leaf's Michelin's worked well - better than I expected so I decided against all weather tyres due to the other compromises.
The Leaf is very quiet so low noise tyres are essential as is a low rolling resistance to maximise range.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's fair enough. I live near Alnwick and this is the first winter for years that we had significant ice and snow. The Leaf's Michelin's worked well - better than I expected so I decided against all weather tyres due to the other compromises.
The Leaf is very quiet so low noise tyres are essential as is a low rolling resistance to maximise range.
I didn’t take my Leaf out in the snow, so don’t know how well it would have worked. I did have a Soul EV that was shod with Michelin energy saver tyres and they were hopeless in the wet (easily breaking traction of wet/greasy roads) and quite a handful with even a dusting of snow, but again it would be mostly left at home in bad weather.

The difference with the Niro (that is replacing my AWD PHEV) is that it’s my primary car, so has to be able to cope with all but the worst weather. I may decide to go back to running separate summer and winter tyres, but for now I’d be happy to see how the 4+ copes on Cross Climates.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My new 4+, collected 3 weeks ago, has Michelin Primacy 3’s. Previous car was a VW Golf GTE which I fitted with CrossClimate+. I found them very good in poor weather, both rain and snow and, as Prior to that I had a Audi A4 Quattro which originally had good tread Michelin summer tyres. Despite the 4wd it was terrible in snow, but was transformed when I fitted all season tyres. Personally, if I lived in an area regularly affected by snow and had the choice, I would definitely choose a set of good all season tyres. Go Green Autos did a relevant Youtube video which may be of interest, particularly to those in the UK.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts