Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everyone
i've just called a nissan dealer that told me the only tyres that should be on my car are the dunlop enasave ec300 ones. What does everyone else go for?
Thanks

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
If you stick to the original 17" then Goodyear Efficient Grip, downgrade to 16" and they cost about 40% less and the ride improves in which case either the Goodyear or the Michelin Energy Saver +. Either way they are waterproof and should cure your Leak. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
I have 3 dunlop 17" for sale if you want :)
Personally, I just LOOOOOOVVEEE my new CrossClimate+
They are like glue on the road

·
Registered
4 Posts
If you stick to the original 17" then Goodyear Efficient Grip, downgrade to 16" and they cost about 40% less and the ride improves in which case either the Goodyear or the Michelin Energy Saver +. Either way they are waterproof and should cure your Leak. :rolleyes:
i only need the front ones so if i drop down a size i would have to change them all wouldn't i? #youknowwhatimeantaboutleak

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
i only need the front ones so if i drop down a size i would have to change them all wouldn't i? #youknowwhatimeantaboutleak
You don't have to change both front and rear at the same time, and the rolling diameter is similar. However, the wheel styles are different so it'll look strange until you change the others. Lots of cars have different size wheels front to back as standard.

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
@husoi What has been the penalty in terms of range for the Crossclimate+'s? Whilst it may be less important with a +62 it may be more significant to those with range anxiety.

·
Registered
Nissan Leaf 24 Tekna '64 reg
1,396 Posts
I have Crossclimate 225/40 R18 on my Skoda Octavia, fantastic tyres, feels planted in all weather conditions, more comfortable and would highly recommend.
But they are very very expensive. Smaller Leaf 17" tyre is more expensive than my Skoda 18".

For Leaf, where I not likely to drive in snow, I have used summer eco tyres, mainly for cost reasons. Goodyear EfficientGrip performance 215/50 R17 on the front, Yokohama eco tyres by dealer on the rear. I drove it for 1.5 years and they were very good, the Goodyear were grippy and feels great. Then I swapped front/rear in October, the Yokohama felt less grippy and less confident than Goodyear. So I personally would recommend Goodyear over Yokohama.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
@husoi What has been the penalty in terms of range for the Crossclimate+'s? Whilst it may be less important with a +62 it may be more significant to those with range anxiety.
In fact there is little difference in range with the CrossClimate. What is really important for me is safety, comparing the Dunlop with the CrossClimate is like driving in summer all the time.
With CC there is so much more grip, water drainage is far superiorand you will trust your tyres far more than with the original tyres.
Note that Nissan fits summer tyres as default but these are not suitable for UK weather, and even worse in Scotland.
I have been using Michelin tyres on all my cars and on the motorbike and I won't have anything else.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
I live in the Scottish Borders, near the Pentland Hills at about 250m elevation - so we get a bit more snow than "usual" in nearby Edinburgh, for example. I use Nokian Weatherproof on both our cars, a Leaf 24 Acenta (with 16" wheels) and a Panda Cross. Highly recommended - plenty good enough in the summer and almost as good as a proper "snow" tyre in the winter (and very good ratings in testing for wet grip and aquaplaning performance). I don't really note any sort of serious effect on range.

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
7,209 Posts
Dealers like the dunlops as they are an exclusive to them. I'd rather have something that normal tyre places would stock. I'd think Michelin Primacy or Michelin Cross Climate would be fine.

I'll be putting cross climates on this year sometime.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
I live in the Scottish Borders, near the Pentland Hills at about 250m elevation - so we get a bit more snow than "usual" in nearby Edinburgh, for example. I use Nokian Weatherproof on both our cars, a Leaf 24 Acenta (with 16" wheels) and a Panda Cross. Highly recommended - plenty good enough in the summer and almost as good as a proper "snow" tyre in the winter (and very good ratings in testing for wet grip and aquaplaning performance). I don't really note any sort of serious effect on range.
Never tried Nokian so can't pronounce about it :)
for snow you can always make some DIY tyre ties.
I use 950mm cable ties and make use 200mm ties as grip bits.
Didn't had the chance to use them yet (not looking forward to do it) but there are several youtube clips showing how it works.
They're not the most environmental things because you don't reuse them but for the number of times I will need them will do the trick and at less than £10 per wheel is far cheaper than the cable ones.

·
Registered
941 Posts
We had Michelin Crossclimate+ on our Leaf 24.

Range penalty definitely exists in the wet - they shift so much more water than other tyres and that takes power. However, I felt that this was a worthwhile trade-off against the massive improvement in grip in wet/cold/questionable conditions. Husoi isn't wrong about "like glue".

We also had Crossclimate+ on our Volvo V70, and I will be putting them on both our Lexus GS450h and on the Tesla 3 when the time comes for new tyres. They are superb.

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
7,209 Posts
The Dunlop Leaf tyres seem worse than the Michelin EV tyres that were on the Zoe when I first had it. The Michelin EV tyres were better than the Nexen blue responses I had on the Soul. Those were the worst of all. I think the Dunlop are slightly better than those but not as good as Michelin EV tyres. Cross climates are in a different league altogether than all of them.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I put four Bridgestone Turanza T001 on my Leaf30 last november.
Price - £353 for 4 fitted
Cornering - good
Braking - good
range effect - none noticed
noise - better than OEM Goodyear
Grip under acceleration - bad in the dry, shockingly bad in cold & wet

·
Registered
52 Posts
What are the cross climates like for wheelspin (ie, avoiding it - I find it very/too easy to spin the wheels on the leaf, even at 30mph in current conditions)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts