Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Any recommendations for replacing the tyres, I think all four are nearing the end of their life.

I've been pretty happy with the Michelins but if there are better ones, or better value I'd be interested.

Also does anyone recommend getting these "jack pad" things, so the garage that fits them doesn't puncture the battery, or does that not really happen in this country, seems to be mostly Americans advising them. Tesla Model 3, Y, S, X Lifting Jack pad - 4 Pack: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Tyres - lots of choice, I used to look at sites like tyrereviews and try all sorts but I’ve now got fairly lazy and just replace like for like as mileage is low so it doesn’t feel like I’m spending much each year in tyres. I think the original tyres are usually premium but If I wanted to save a few quid then the mid tier brands do offer some good value (the review sites help show which)

As for jack pads, I’ve managed 5 years without feeling the need

·
Registered
304 Posts
Any recommendations for replacing the tyres, I think all four are nearing the end of their life.

I've been pretty happy with the Michelins but if there are better ones, or better value I'd be interested.

Also does anyone recommend getting these "jack pad" things, so the garage that fits them doesn't puncture the battery, or does that not really happen in this country, seems to be mostly Americans advising them. Tesla Model 3, Y, S, X Lifting Jack pad - 4 Pack: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike
There's something to be said for sticking with the manufacturer recommended tyres - especially when they are tied quite closely to range.

The Pilot Sport 4S come out really well in most tests although they're a bit pricey.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Yes, I'd reccomend them.
You can't really jack the car up safely without them.
Some people mention using blocks of wood, but there's no "key" to prevent the wood from slipping.
How is a garage, or recovery, going to jack your car when you need recovery at the side of the road without at least one puck?
I have a set of aluminium ones in the lower boot in a cardboard tube. ( didn't think the rubber ones were sturdy enough and deformed to easily)
I've used them once to change from summer to winter tyres so I'll be using them at least twice a year.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Yes, I'd reccomend them.
You can't really jack the car up safely without them.
Some people mention using blocks of wood, but there's no "key" to prevent the wood from slipping.
How is a garage, or recovery, going to jack your car when you need recovery at the side of the road without at least one puck?
I have a set of aluminium ones in the lower boot in a cardboard tube. ( didn't think the rubber ones were sturdy enough and deformed to easily)
I've used them once to change from summer to winter tyres so I'll be using them at least twice a year.
Did the garage look at you weird when you handed them to them?

·
Registered
63 Posts
No, I changed them myself. I used a couple of 6inch by 2inch bits of wood laid behind the tyre, one acting as a ramp, reversed up onto them and with the extra height I could use my normal jack with the puck. Saved paying a garage for the change and over £100 for a new low jack.

·
Registered
609 Posts
No, I changed them myself. I used a couple of 6inch by 2inch bits of wood laid behind the tyre, one acting as a ramp, reversed up onto them and with the extra height I could use my normal jack with the puck. Saved paying a garage for the change and over £100 for a new low jack.
Isn’t that very difficult to do without the proper equipment?

I’ve changed many wheels in my time but never new tyres.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Isn’t that very difficult to do without the proper equipment?

I’ve changed many wheels in my time but never new tyres.
I bought a spare damaged wheel set ( £500) from someone who had converted to 20" wheels had them refurbished/powder coated silver (£200) and had the Goodyear winter tyres (£500) put on (£20). So I can now change them at my leisure. Both sets of tyres should last about 2-3 years.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Tesla do change tyres but usually monstrously expensive. I had no choice in Italy but to use Tesla and a £200-£250 tyre back here cost over 400 euro at Tesla
I figured it probably would be more expensive but I wouldn't mind paying a little extra for peace of mind that they won't damage the battery and I wouldn't need to buy 'jack pads'.

However, I wouldn't want to pay monstrously over the odds. I suppose the app doesn't give an estimate in any way does it?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts