Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

How far would you go with tyres pressure?

• 38 PSI

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • 40 PSI

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • 42 PSI

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I would not go above 36 PSI

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What tyres pressure you use in your Ioniq electric?
What do you think would be safe pressure above recommendation?

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I think I'd just go with what it's supposed to be. If you start altering things like that, you give your insurers an excuse not to pay out if you have a smash.

·
Life's too short to wait for a Kona .....
110 Posts
I go with what it says on the label in the drivers door frame. Manufacturers and tyre companies have researched and tested the tyres to destruction so why wouldn’t you follow their advice? The tyre wear has been excellent by sticking to that method as well, so that’ll do for me.

·
Registered
7,500 Posts
It's been pretty standard advice for many years to use the cars recommended pressures but to perhaps add a few psi if the car is to be driven a long distance heavily loaded. This question has been asked a few times by EV owners and seems to be motivated by a desire to squeeze out another mile of range. As overinflated tyres are a great way to increase wear and reduce the miles that they remain legal it doesn't make much sense to me. A monthly budget of £8 to £10 to replace a set of tyres over 3 years is not unusual. This practice could easily be a case of saving £1 in electrons over 3 years but losing £20 of tyre rubber over that same period. And in any case, it's debatable if the aim for efficiency actually works. But what is well documented is increased wear from excess pressure.

Here is a thread on this subject from five years ago for further group wisdom.

·
Registered
4,383 Posts
Ampera lets you play around a lot! Anything from 34 (or is it 36?) psi up to 40 can be used. You deffo get a harder ride at 40, 36 soaks up the bumps a bit better. But when I bought mine at 17k miles 5 yrs ago, tyres were at 34/36, and they were a lot more worn on the shoulders than the middle section, so I've run at 40 to get slightly better mileage & also longer tyre life.

Somewhere in the Ioniq 38 owner manual there's a mention, I think, about raising the pressure a tiny bit, maybe 3 psi? but I forget what for! If I find it again, I'll post here what it was.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts