Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found today after a spot of rain that my front tyres were slipping every time I pulled away at roundabouts. I wasn't completely flooring it. I was in Normal, prefer to drive in that mode generally. I was wondering if it could be the fact I have a different make of tyre on my left front side after the original got sliced by a kerb? Any opinions, should I stick another Michelin Primacy on?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Mixing different tread patterns across the same axle is not allowed. The identical tyre model and tread pattern must be fitted for a single axle. You can, however, use different tyres on a separate axle – just as long as they too match each other.
Copied from the internet and this was always my understanding

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No such rule in the UK. I'm just wondering if it would make a difference. It was all done by RAC approved fitters as I had to call them out at the time.

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
The e-Golf on it original Bridgestone eco tyres is very quick to spin the wheels. I've seen Michelin cross climates being mentioned as good for reducing the wheel spin. I haven't changed ours yet but am planning to once the tempratures drop to winter tyre range.
I have one odd tyre on the car after a puncture a little while back. It was late on a Saturday afternoon, I'd just pumped it up again when we drove past a 'garage' selling part worn tyres. It was a little nervous about getting a used tyre fitted by a guy who barely spoke English but it was that or the spacesaver wheel. With a trip out the next day it seemed the best option and it has been fine for months now. It probably spins a little later than the original tyre but haven't noticed any other difference.

·
Registered
340 Posts
No such rule in the UK. I'm just wondering if it would make a difference. It was all done by RAC approved fitters as I had to call them out at the time.
My understanding is that there may not be a legal requirement in the UK, but both Hyundai and Kia state something like:
"it is recommended to replace tyres on the same axle in pairs, replacing just one can seriously affect the handling"

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
My understanding is that there may not be a legal requirement in the UK, but both Hyundai and Kia state something like:
"it is recommended to replace tyres on the same axle in pairs, replacing just one can seriously affect the handling"
It’s just good sound logical practice but not a legal requirement.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
..and does that mean if one blows out after 5000 miles you have to not only replace with the same but with a pair?

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
..and does that mean if one blows out after 5000 miles you have to not only replace with the same but with a pair?
Nope, but I think I would seriously think about putting a matched set from the rear on the front if it was a front that blew.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Just out of curiosity what are the tyre pressures like?

Sent using Tapatalk (I'm on my phone so sorry for any auto correct screwups)

·
Premium Member
825 Posts

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
The Niro has Michelins, but you still have to be careful with the accelerator, more so than the Golf as it has more power.

The issues with the Kona and mixing tyres with different amounts of wear don't seem to be an issue for the Golf. From memory it was to do with different tread depths when adding one new tyre.

As mentioned above I have added a part worn tyre on the front axle, although it wasn't me it had a little more tread on it and was a different brand. Its actually wearing a little quicker and now has less tad than the other tyre. Car hasn't complained at all and I can't tell the difference.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Following my incident with broken tyre inflation valve
https://www.speakev.com/threads/tyre-inflation-a-cautionary-tale.142720/post-2691726 I ended up with a new tyre fitted.
The dealer agreed to fix under warranty but had to order the parts. When I took it in they said they would have to replace the tyre since it had run flat - I stressed that it hadn't run flat, it deflated on the spot as the valve broke off as I tried to check the pressure. The tyre sat deflated for no more than about 45 mins before RAC man fixed it with a standard valve and re-inflated. The comeback from the service person was that well it's punctured, but couldn't tell me how or where. I felt forced to agree to a new tyre and ended up with a warranty repair costing me £60+. I was even more annoyed when I got home and found they hadn't fitted the original spec Michelin tyre.
The point in relation to this thread is that despite my anger and feeling i had been 'scammed' it doesn't seem to have made any difference at all to the handling or even noise level as I had feared. However, if having two different tyres on the same axle results in any problems I will be putting the dealer squarely in the frame!

·
Registered
3 Posts
... and found they hadn't fitted the original spec Michelin tyre.
The point in relation to this thread is that despite my anger and feeling i had been 'scammed' it doesn't seem to have made any difference at all to the handling or even noise level as I had feared. However, if having two different tyres on the same axle results in any problems I will be putting the dealer squarely in the frame!
I'm not sure how the regulations are over there, but in the Netherlands having two different (brand or width or profile) tyres on the same axle is not allowed.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Is that a rule for the usa? Its certainly not the case for the uk. The only stipulation is not mixing radial tyres with cross-ply however i doubt that would even be possible anymore
That rule’s not really relevant in the UK anymore.

Law is simply no mixing of tyres with different load and speed ratings on the same axle. Also no mixing tyre types, eg Summer/Winter/All Season or sizes on same axle.

Ridiculously one can mix Summer/Winter/All Season between front and rear axles in UK. Illegal everywhere else in the EU....and dangerous anywhere!

Also not allowed to mix brands on axles in many EU states.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I found today after a spot of rain that my front tyres were slipping every time I pulled away at roundabouts. I wasn't completely flooring it. I was in Normal, prefer to drive in that mode generally. I was wondering if it could be the fact I have a different make of tyre on my left front side after the original got sliced by a kerb? Any opinions, should I stick another Michelin Primacy on?
GoodYear Vector Tyres have come out very well in winter and wet conditions so I would think they would give you the most traction and least wheel slip/spin when pulling away.

·
Registered
312 Posts
That rule’s not really relevant in the UK anymore.

Law is simply no mixing of tyres with different load and speed ratings on the same axle. Also no mixing tyre types, eg Summer/Winter/All Season or sizes on same axle.

Ridiculously one can mix Summer/Winter/All Season between front and rear axles in UK. Illegal everywhere else in the EU....and dangerous anywhere!

Also not allowed to mix brands on axles in many EU states.
Yeah saw a video of s test showing what happens when you drive in snow with winter tyres on just the front wheels of a FWD car.

I mean I looks fun but not if you need the car

Sent using Tapatalk (I'm on my phone so sorry for any auto correct screwups)

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
What do people think of mixing V rated and W rated tyres? I can get the same tyre cheap but it's V rated. That's apparently suitable for up to 149 mph as opposed to 168 on W rated.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts