Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

7 months and only 7k miles into my GTE Advance and I was wondering whether anyone finds the tyres a little lacking in grip? I previously had a Golf GTE which came out the factory with Bridgestones and they were notoriously bad especially in the wet and luckily the lease company insisted on Micheline's so once I'd worn through the factory-fits I got some Pilot Sport 4's on the Golf and they were lovely tyres.
I know I shouldn't expect the handling to be as good on a Passat estate but it's so much worse than the Golf and I wondered how people are finding the tyres and whether anyone has replaced them yet and what with? I do like some spirited driving and would have loved just to replace the Golf like-for-like but it was a bit on the small side for a family of 4 who camp a few times a year!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had Continentals on mine when it came from the factory, the front pair only covered 9500miles before they needed replacing. Michelin’s were fitted after that and they covered around 16000 miles before they needed replacing. The rear tyres (Continentals) covered 260000 miles and then needed replacing, which is not a lot for rear tyres on a front wheel drive car. I guess the extra weight of the battery has an impact on tyre wear.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
133 Posts
I was wondering whether anyone finds the tyres a little lacking in grip?
What factory tyres did your Passat come with out of interest? My 2018 Passat GTE came with Pirelli P7 'Seal Inside' which ticked all the boxes for me for grip, noise and wear, but I didn't have anything that similar to compare against performance-wise. The self-seal function proved well worthwhile; I never noticed on two occasions when dealer found a deeply embedded screw in tyre that needed a replacement (and I was pleased leasing company replaced with same tyre rather than cheapest they could get their hands on). I did manage to get over 20k miles out of the Pirellis, which is pretty good IMHO.

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
I know I shouldn't expect the handling to be as good on a Passat estate but it's so much worse than the Golf and I wondered how people are finding the tyres and whether anyone has replaced them yet and what with?
Please excuse me for saying so, I don't want to offend anybody here.
But, I think you have answered your own question to be honest.
The two cars completely different beast's.
Regardless of what tyres you install, the Passat estate load lugger is not going to come CLOSE to the handling of the sporty Golf GTE.
It's almost trying to compare the handling of a go cart to a normal car ( well maybe not that bad, but you get my point ).
Maybe a salon car to a SUV is a little closer.
Hard act to follow the Golf GTE as I am sure you have now realised.
Compromise between space over fun really I guess, sorry !.
Form over function ( or the other way around ? ).
We have ALL been there at some time in our lives.
"Buy what you need, not what you want" - I think the saying goes ;).

·
Registered
4,901 Posts
It's also not clear whether the issue is with grip or handling - two totally different things. Some SUVs have lots of grip (thanks to stupidly wide low profile tyres) but handle horibbly due to rolly polly comfort suspension settings. Which is the issue with your Passat?

Reactions: Carty

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
It's also not clear whether the issue is with grip or handling - two totally different things. Some SUVs have lots of grip (thanks to stupidly wide low profile tyres) but handle horibbly due to rolly polly comfort suspension settings. Which is the issue with your Passat?
I agree.
But it’s probably both in this situation !.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What factory tyres did your Passat come with out of interest? My 2018 Passat GTE came with Pirelli P7 'Seal Inside' which ticked all the boxes for me for grip, noise and wear, but I didn't have anything that similar to compare against performance-wise. The self-seal function proved well worthwhile; I never noticed on two occasions when dealer found a deeply embedded screw in tyre that needed a replacement (and I was pleased leasing company replaced with same tyre rather than cheapest they could get their hands on). I did manage to get over 20k miles out of the Pirellis, which is pretty good IMHO.
@BruceH same for me, the P7s

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Please excuse me for saying so, I don't want to offend anybody here.
But, I think you have answered your own question to be honest.
The two cars completely different beast's.
Regardless of what tyres you install, the Passat estate load lugger is not going to come CLOSE to the handling of the sporty Golf GTE.
It's almost trying to compare the handling of a go cart to a normal car ( well maybe not that bad, but you get my point ).
Maybe a salon car to a SUV is a little closer.
Hard act to follow the Golf GTE as I am sure you have now realised.
Compromise between space over fun really I guess, sorry !.
Form over function ( or the other way around ? ).
We have ALL been there at some time in our lives.
"Buy what you need, not what you want" - I think the saying goes ;).
Not offended at all mate and I'm not expecting the handling to be the same BUT I am wondering whether grip could be improved with new boots. The car is a company car so not really worried about getting life out of the tyres, just increasing the grip.
Don't get me wrong though, the car is great and is what I (the family!) needed and I'll happily go back to the Golf if we change our second car for something bigger

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good point - not very clear in my post! I accept the 'different' handling to the golf and the understeer caught me off guard initially but I feel like the tyres don't hold as well when cornering and heavy braking but as I type this, all I'm thinking is perhaps it's time to slow down a bit :)

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
I'm thinking is perhaps it's time to slow down a bit :)
Very wise words !.
Your wife and children will thank you for it !.
Put a picture of your wife and kids in the car, when you feel the need for speed, look towards the picture first before taking any risky actions.
The Passat is a great “Family” car and is built mainly for that very reason.
The quicker Golfs are just a little bit to tempting when you are on your own in the car.
I think you know where I am coming from !.
Drive safe, for your family.

·
Registered
4,901 Posts
What rules does your country have on tyre compounds and of reversible changes such as thicker anti-roll bars?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts