Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone you Bridgestone Drive guard run flat tyres on electric cars.
I am on a motorway daily, for 90kmh, with no spare wheel, and with winter approaching, I do not want to get left stranded.:rolleyes:❄☃⛄

·
Registered
882 Posts
If range is not an issue for you I would look into Michelin CrossClimate. They are excellent all weather tyres.
A friend of mine with a Leaf 40kw bought a set spare wheel with bottle jack and all the tools for under £200.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If range is not an issue for you I would look into Michelin CrossClimate. They are excellent all weather tyres.
A friend of mine with a Leaf 40kw bought a set spare wheel with bottle jack and all the tools for under £200.
hi, I was looking at the cross climate tyres , had them on my beloved 3 Series BMW.

·
Speak, Eevee!
1,084 Posts
I have Cross Climates and haven't noticed any range decrease. Mind, I had a mish mash of random budget crap on before (except for 1 corner which was a badly cracked Michelin EV) so that's probably to be expected - I'm not sure what benefit 4xEVs would bring.

Did think about Drive Guard but heard that they're relatively loud on the road and need replacing if they go flat even if you can 'run them flat' for a bit in an emergency so considering my battery hire covers punctures anyway decided to just suck up the risk of having to wait for recovery.

Admittedly I did get a puncture recently (in an 8 week old Cross Climate that had to be replaced to the local tyre fitter's tune of £112) and was lucky enough to be in the 0.9 miles between tyre fitter and home so wasn't really much of a problem aside from it being on a weekend but it does make me a bit more wary. I may compromise and get a 15" spare to shove in the boot but call out recovery to change it so that I have control over where and what it gets replaced with.

·
Registered
5,688 Posts
Cross Climates are going on my Zoe. Had unrepairable puncture and there is crazing and cracking on the Michellin EV tyres already. Not that impressive considering the tyres have only done 15000 miles. Hope the Cross Climates last better.

It did prove the tyre pressure monitoring system actually works :rolleyes:

Anyone know if this spacesaver will fit under the boot carpet in the Zoe so you can have a proper (ish) spare?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Excellent, I am thinking of Continental all season tyres now. Better wet grip overall compared to the other all season tyres.

·
Registered
5,688 Posts
Checked the wheel well thingy and it's tiny. Did find I had the original pump though. Never really rooted about under there before....

Cross Climates do seem better than the EV tyres. Oddly the tyre walls feel a bit stiffer and there isn't that lateral roll feeling. There's also a bit less of the uncontrolled bounce. More pointy feeling is the only way I can describe it.

Noise I'm not sure on as my other car has barely any cabin noise and the Zoe has a lot of rumble in comparison. There's also no engine to drown it out either.

They did only come with 6.5 mm of tread as new which seems very low. I thought new tyres had 8mm. You can see where they save money these days :rolleyes:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts