Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am interested to know if it makes sense financially to drive an EV for a ride-share like Uber or Lyft. Is anyone currently doing this?

·
Super Moderator
1,298 Posts
I am interested to know if it makes sense financially to drive an EV for a ride-share like Uber or Lyft. Is anyone currently doing this?
There are several Tesla Uber drivers as well as a Tesla Taxi driver in Quebec... if you're on Twitter, you can find them there. (I follow some of them here)

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
Look on the Kia Soul forum theres a guy there who runs a taxi in Brighton. Dont see why the fact its Uber or Lyft would make a difference its still a taxi?

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
There is a whole bunch of Taxi firms using LEAFs and similar for their business, both as Taxi and as Private Hire.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
The new 7 seater ENV with the 40 battery should shake things up substantially.

·
Registered
719 Posts
There was talk of uber offering a large one off payment for ev drivers in London. I was wondering if it might be worthwhile getting qualified as a driver and doing a single uber journey (perhaps taking the kids to a football match in the leaf) in order to pocket the ev bonus....

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
Neat trick, I would have thought they would have come up with a way to mitigate against that sort of gameplay though. The fact it’s a one off bonus doesn’t mean you’d get it all paid at once for example, maybe you’d get 1% of it for the first 100 trips you did or something like that?
Or perhaps you’ve found a loophole !

·
Registered
Ioniq 5
24,613 Posts
There was talk of uber offering a large one of payment for ev drivers in London. I was wondering if it might benworrhwhile getting qualified as a driver and doing a single uber journey (perhaps taking the kids to a football match in the leaf) in order to pocket the ev bonus....
I suspect they’ve thought of it and there’s probably a minimum commitment. Still, would you do a year of Uber driving at weekends in exchange for a discount on your car? :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts