Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Driving yet another EV!
2,578 Posts
As far as I can tell this seems to move the comms part of the charger into the cable. Does the comms part really account for 90% of the cost of a charger?

·
Registered
964 Posts
As far as I can tell this seems to move the comms part of the charger into the cable. Does the comms part really account for 90% of the cost of a charger?
They are doing away with more unnecessary street furniture and using lamp posts.

·
Registered
7,249 Posts
Lamp posts won't work in most cases here... EV charging is too high a current and the voltages are often too low.

I haven't read all of the article yet but an interesting way to approach it. I like the concept. The comms could even use WiFi perhaps which is more reliable and faster albeit less range but connecting to the home WiFi to upload for example might work well.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes in Germany only a small % of lamp posts ready now....but a useful number.

My reading was the savings comes compared to card operated charging stations. Obviously the zcw model even cheaper. But this could open up locations without needing cards or apps that aren't suitable for zcw. Ultimately it could be the cable supplied with new cars.

·
Premium Member
1,347 Posts
This idea could provide a lot of on-street capacity and would be ideal for urban areas without off-street parking. I'd be interested to know how they ensure security – there has to be a way of preventing a scally from making off with the intelligent cable. Presumably it relies on a mobile SIM for the comms?

·
Driving yet another EV!
2,578 Posts
This idea could provide a lot of on-street capacity and would be ideal for urban areas without off-street parking. I'd be interested to know how they ensure security – there has to be a way of preventing a scally from making off with the intelligent cable. Presumably it relies on a mobile SIM for the comms?
If said scally makes off with the cable, they get to sell you another cable. Where is the incentive for them to make it hard for this to happen?

·
Driving yet another EV!
2,578 Posts
Hmm...

Video 2 at 0:13 said:
There is no intelligence integrated into the socket
Video 2 at 0:32 said:
...and what now happens is that the intelligent cable, um, wakes up the system socket
What we have here is that the "dumb socket" has a CPU with a means of communicating to the intelligent cable (hopefully that is via an encrypted link, otherwise there will be quite a market in "replacement" cables that don't bother with the charging part) there is also a contactor and a locking solenoid. These "dumb sockets" have at least as much in them as a ZCW type-2 charger. In the UK each streetlamp would also surely need an earth rod.

The only bits missing are an RFID reader (looks like between £15 and £50 in one-off quantities) and a GSM comms module (about £25 to £50 in one-off). Where does the 90% saving come from?

Edit: OK - the video enters cloud cuckoo-land at about 6 minutes when the claim seems to be made (hard to hear though) that the entire cost of these new chargers, including installation, is €100

·
Premium Member
1,347 Posts
If said scally makes off with the cable, they get to sell you another cable. Where is the incentive for them to make it hard for this to happen?
If the cable wasn't secured in some way I don't think I would sign up to their scheme.

·
Premium Member
1,347 Posts
But what if your local council decided that all chargers in the county would be of this type - how would you charge?
Hopefully it would be possible to head that one off at the public consultation stage.

·
Banned
961 Posts
What we have here is that the "dumb socket" has a CPU with a means of communicating to the intelligent cable (hopefully that is via an encrypted link, otherwise there will be quite a market in "replacement" cables that don't bother with the charging part) there is also a contactor and a locking solenoid. These "dumb sockets" have at least as much in them as a ZCW type-2 charger.
I like it - removing all that comms junk from the socket is a good idea - it's that junk that seems to fail most often.

What I'd suggest though is taking it one step further. Brace for this.... Move all that comms and authentication into the car itself. These nifty cables are a stepping stone, but there is no reason I can think of that you couldn't use a standard dumb Type 2 cable and have the car do the necessary magic. That cuts down the cost of additional mobile contracts, nicked cables etc. When the car has signal it can upload all the transactions that need to be billed for. All you need from the Type 2 charger that we don't have today is a bit of crypto over the data mode of Type 2 to identify the charging station and enable the power if the car has the necessary keys. You can even add a simple revocation mechanism for 'bad' keys that leak - good cars / cables can spread the revocation list around and carry usage data for reconciliation. (Yes, I have covered my whiteboard in scribbles.)

This is a way better solution (even as it stands using the smart cable) than the GSM in an underground car-park problem with Chargemaster etc.

Where do I invest?

·
Banned
961 Posts
Now that I support - but it needs a lot of muscle behind it to allow that to work.
This is the way to do it though. Start with the cable so you have backwards compatibility, then license the module to any manufacturer that wants to play ball.

This is what ChargeNow should have been.

·
Driving yet another EV!
2,578 Posts
This is the way to do it though. Start with the cable so you have backwards compatibility, then license the module to any manufacturer that wants to play ball.

This is what ChargeNow should have been.
But, I don't see any manufacturer going with it unless a large area (such as the EU) mandates it.

·
Banned
961 Posts
That's the point - they go with what suits them unless you force them otherwise.
They'll do what is in their best interest. BMW obviously see value in an integrated charging network with ChargeNow and I'm sure other manufacturers do as well. Schemes like this offer an opportunity to put the manufacturer back in control of the billing relationship and enable them to do interesting things with combined power/leasing arrangements etc. It appears like a win-win to me, unless you are in the business of selling expensive street furniture.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I thought the electric supply to street lamps was unmetered. You can clearly calculate the energy consumption based on hours of operation and power. How does it work if you add EV charging?

1 - 20 of 62 Posts