Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I might be driving down to London tomorrow and I'm seeing a whole bunch of Ubitricity chargepoints on ZapMap - they look like just normal residential parking spots. Has anyone here used them before? Are they easy to use? Do I need any sort of card, or can I just get an app like with everyone else? Also, any idea how likely it is that I'll pull up and the single space will be taken? Should I make a list of the 5 or so nearest to my destination (British Museum) just in case?

·
EVEZY code d55d6 *** Try my car cost calculator
1,583 Posts

·
1,583 Posts
Some/many are in residents only parking zones/bays.

Good app for checking restrictions:

·
Registered
928 Posts
Look for a post marked with a + on the Ubitricity app, they are the ones that can be paid for with a card. The older posts need an expensive lead to work. It's worth using Google street view to have a look where you intend to charge to see if there are any parking restrictions.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Look for a post marked with a + on the Ubitricity app, they are the ones that can be paid for with a card. The older posts need an expensive lead to work. It's worth using Google street view to have a look where you intend to charge to see if there are any parking restrictions.
Thanks, that is great info!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Thanks, that is great info!
I once tried to use an Ubtricity post in south west London.

The issues were - it was a Sunday so no parking restrictions, so no parking was available!
The posts are not obvious - there is a small sign ( A5? ) attached to the lamppost asking space to be left for charging but no exclusive bays.
Eventually found a post with parking after driving up and down a few streets - but despite being a + site I could not get the app to initiate a charge.

So in the end I gave up!

Perhaps better suited for residents who know where they are, and can get a space when parking restrictions apply.

·
Registered
MG ZS EV Exclusive
112 Posts
Hey everyone, I might be driving down to London tomorrow and I'm seeing a whole bunch of Ubitricity chargepoints on ZapMap - they look like just normal residential parking spots. Has anyone here used them before? Are they easy to use? Do I need any sort of card, or can I just get an app like with everyone else? Also, any idea how likely it is that I'll pull up and the single space will be taken? Should I make a list of the 5 or so nearest to my destination (British Museum) just in case?
Be careful its not a resident only bay ! Initiate via app but look fo the "+" sign on Ubitricity map (Zap Map doesn't indentify these) as the others need a special cable. Quite slow though. (3 - 5 kw)

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
Great if you like driving round and round trying to find an available charger.

I would charge en route at a rapid for 20 minutes.

·
1,583 Posts
Yep - it’s tricky enough trying to find a free street parking bay. Then to add in the requirement that it needs to be one of 5 or so that happen to be next to a charging lamppost, and then that of those it needs to be one that can be used with a standard cable.... nah

·
Registered
61 Posts
I would be surprised to see many bays available for you to park in near the British Museum without being prohibitively expensive or needing a residents permit.

An alternative would be some of the nearby hotels have parking with pod points to charge from.

Don't forget you will need to pay for congestion charge unless you have already registered with tfl for an exemption.

·
Registered
Zoe ZE50 GT Line R135
222 Posts
I used them in Highgate without problem a couple of weeks ago. Plenty of parking there, only restricted 2 hours per day, but that was much further out.

Agree that near British Museum you'd be lucky to find available parking that isn't restricted to permit holders. Street view is your friend.

·
Registered
51 Posts
In the very centre of London, most parking is restricted for residents. That's really who those charge points are designed to serve.
Besides the alternatives already suggested, e.g. hotels and Pod Point, dare I say Source London may have been a better option as you pay for parking with your charging.

How did you get on?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts