Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just arrived home from a 2 day trip from nr Southampton to Manchester (around 250 miles each way) in my mk.1 leaf

The journey up wasn't too bad - no traffic, dry, though with the leaf only going to around 240 gids full, and VERY slow charge after 200 gids it required frequent stops especially with my "always have a plan B" approach. Thankfully no chargers were down unexpectedly (loads were on the ecotricity map though!) and I was thankful to polar for once for the waitrose abingdon RC working perfectly on each direction.

The return was a struggle. Poor road conditions, traffic early on... but in particular add the limited capacity to drag from excess water on the road, headwinds, plus wipers/lights (no heating) meaning very frequent topups. My final segment should have been an easy 54 miles from abingdon home. I stayed ages to get to 228 gids, drove first at 60, dropping to 50, dropping to 45, ended up with 13 miles left going on to slower roads at max 30mph, then the last 8 miles at around 25 mph. WOW. never had it that bad before

I've done the EV thing for 2.5 years now. I have to say tonight, whilst I got home, tested my patience. Frankly I was pretty fed up. It may be the last journey in the leaf, switching to an i3 rex in April which should significantly add flexibility. Roll on longer range EVs....

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Just arrived home from a 2 day trip from nr Southampton to Manchester (around 250 miles each way) in my mk.1 leaf

The journey up wasn't too bad - no traffic, dry, though with the leaf only going to around 240 gids full, and VERY slow charge after 200 gids it required frequent stops especially with my "always have a plan B" approach. Thankfully no chargers were down unexpectedly (loads were on the ecotricity map though!) and I was thankful to polar for once for the waitrose abingdon RC working perfectly on each direction.

The return was a struggle. Poor road conditions, traffic early on... but in particular add the limited capacity to drag from excess water on the road, headwinds, plus wipers/lights (no heating) meaning very frequent topups. My final segment should have been an easy 54 miles from abingdon home. I stayed ages to get to 228 gids, drove first at 60, dropping to 50, dropping to 45, ended up with 13 miles left going on to slower roads at max 30mph, then the last 8 miles at around 25 mph. WOW. never had it that bad before

I've done the EV thing for 2.5 years now. I have to say tonight, whilst I got home, tested my patience. Frankly I was pretty fed up. It may be the last journey in the leaf, switching to an i3 rex in April which should significantly add flexibility. Roll on longer range EVs....
Sounds like the perfect storm of detrimental factors :(

Quite surprised that the last 54 miles were a struggle, I really do wonder about the actual efficiency of the Leaf. When you compare it to some of the REX and PHEV vehicles around, it really doesn't seem to be all that good on a miles per kWh basis ....

·
Premium Member
1,347 Posts
I admire your determination! That's far too much of a hair shirt compromise for me – how long did the return journey take, including time spent charging?

·
Super Moderator
7,478 Posts
Sounds like the perfect storm of detrimental factors :(

Quite surprised that the last 54 miles were a struggle, I really do wonder about the actual efficiency of the Leaf. When you compare it to some of the REX and PHEV vehicles around, it really doesn't seem to be all that good on a miles per kWh basis ....
Yes it's aerodynamics and height both suck. Driving fast or driving in wind absolutely kills range.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
The OP started that leg of the journey on 228 gids so around 18kwh of battery remaining. He didnt say how much he had left at the end of the journey but 18kwh should give around 55-60 miles in cold weather depending on terrain, etc.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Enjoy the REx. I'll certainly be using it later since it looks like my only en - route rapid today, the Ferrybridge CCS is still down. Can anyone confirm that?

·
Registered
7,249 Posts
Sounds awful. This is a great example of why short-range EVs like the Leaf are not really suitable for long trips for most people. OK for us early adopters but it even for us it gets tiring after a while.

In the short to medium term , I do think Rex is the most practical solution.
For long trips... definitely IMO and it is PHEVs like the Outlander and BMW i3 that will lead the way for the bulk of the general public IMO. Of course, there is still very much a place for full BEVs like the Leaf but for most people I suspect not for long trips for most people until range gets well up past 200 miles and rapid charging is everywhere.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I've been to leeds and back. Last week. The chargers down in a row made it interesting.

Once the chargers are fixed, long distance shouldn't be too bad.

Note that the leaf isn't a short range ev though, is a normal range ev.

·
Registered
7,249 Posts
Note that the leaf isn't a short range ev though, is a normal range ev
I think that most people will compare the range of an EV vs what their ICE will do. A "normal" range for a car nowadays is probably 300-600 miles. An EV with a range less than that will be considered a short-range car by most.

I agree that if you compare the range with other EVs then right now it is a normal range EV... but not a normal range car.

When EVs can be considered a normal range car then that is when most people will start to buy EVs in large numbers.

So, the Leaf is a short-range car... it just happens to be electric :)

·
Super Moderator
7,478 Posts
I've been to leeds and back. Last week. The chargers down in a row made it interesting.

Once the chargers are fixed, long distance shouldn't be too bad.

Note that the leaf isn't a short range ev though, is a normal range ev.
It's shorter than the Zoe, i3 and Soul. It's also much shorter that the driving range of the Ampera, i3 REX and Outlander PHEV. I'd say it's the shortest of the current crop now.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
It's shorter than the Zoe, i3 and Soul. It's also much shorter that the driving range of the Ampera, i3 REX and Outlander PHEV. I'd say it's the shortest of the current crop now.
The i3 BEV is shorter range than the Leaf. The I3 has an EPA range of 81 miles Vs 84 miles for the Leaf. The EV range for the Rex version drops to 72 miles EPA.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
What's the difference in battery size? Although I 'suspect' the Leaf is slightly more aerodynamic, isn't it heavier? Thought the i3 was designed from the ground up to be different: carbon fibre, bike wheels etc

Reactions: Lee Dalton

·
Registered
253 Posts
What's the difference in battery size? Although I 'suspect' the Leaf is slightly more aerodynamic, isn't it heavier? Thought the i3 was designed from the ground up to be different: carbon fibre, bike wheels etc
When I did the i3 test drive, the BMW chaps admitted it had less range than the Leaf.

·
Super Moderator
11,781 Posts
i3 usable battery capacity is 18.8kWh.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts