Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
I really like the Google based map. I do most of my route-planning on Google and having these already on Google makes it easier when including charging locations into my routes.

I think this map well worth keeping. It is a simple way to show this info and while OCM may have the same raw data it isn't so easy to display it in this simple and easy to understand and use way.

The ideal might be if the same Google map could be generated from data on OCM? That would achieve my desire for a Google based map and Kevin's sensible suggestion to not duplicate data. Perhaps that is possible but it would require someone to program it. The Google map as it stands though is easy to edit and change.

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
I've said elsewhere I've had a few problems with open charge map (especially on iPhone) and the Google map solves that problem. Also Google maps would be easier I imagine to incorporate into other apps, such as Leaf Link etc, both technically and from a licensing perspective.

Could be wrong on that, but that's the impression I've been getting from brief hands-on with different platforms, reading the forums, and knowing a few mobile (iOS and Android) developers.

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
I've said elsewhere I've had a few problems with open charge map (especially on iPhone) and the Google map solves that problem.
I think that's an issue with the OCM app not the database (the two things are separate). What I find silly is that yet again someone has embarked on another EV charging map when we already have more than 200... why not add the data to OCM and then export to Google Maps? In that way we have one source of the data.

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
I think this map well worth keeping. It is a simple way to show this info and while OCM may have the same raw data it isn't so easy to display it in this simple and easy to understand and use way.
Only the community can solve that problem by getting involved and resourcing the effort... I use OCM data in the OpenVehicles app and it's amazing because it's also aware of the cars range at all times.

As a 'community' we need to work together on the basics like charging locations and capabilities... I don't understand why EV drivers find this so difficult today.

·
Militant EV driver!
4,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
These are also in OpenChargeMap database... can't we just use one community maintained source for everyone to share?
I'm not going to go into the issues with using that on smartphone.

The point of this map was to log where the announced future rapid chargers are going in, and then watch as they go live. It was to spot the gaps that need to be addressed and also identify clusters of possible oversupply.

Charging point databases such as OpenChargeMap do not and should not be showing projected and announced future locations.

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
Charging point databases such as OpenChargeMap do not and should not be showing projected and announced future locations.
Not at all... it would be trivial to add a class for future locations (if it doesn't already exist) and the main developer (Chris Cook) is one tweet away... if we want things to improve with charging location data we need to find a way of collaborating without reinventing the wheel every couple of months.

Just imagine for a moment that Ecotricity had supported OCM... we would have access to the same data in more than fifteen different apps and websites today;

http://openchargemap.org/site/Develop/Apps

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
As a newbie to the world of EVs, all I want is a map that shows me the chargers work with my car/plug type(s), which network(s) they belong to and what type they are (rapid, "fast", slow). Ideally if they're working and/or occupied or not would be nice.

What do I care that there's 20 chargers near my destination if they're not compatible, offline or of the "wrong type"? I don't, it's just noise. Keep it simple and all that.

A "full" map has its purposes too, but they're not really useful in the heat of the moment, and also slow down route planning (if required).

That's my two and bit pence on what I'd like to have. If it's out there already, then that's awesome... where? :D

·
Militant EV driver!
4,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah I agree. Even I was thinking "JEVS G105, pretty sure that's CHAdeMO"...

The map also doesn't work well on the smartphone.

Open Charge Map has had an overhall on the phone - appears to work well now. Will try again now.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts