Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

41 - 60 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
For obvious reasons the best advice is, therefore, to regard the granny lead as being for use only in the situation it is named for. For very occasional use when visiting granny, and if needing some electrons to return home.
So why doesn't it matter if you burn Granny's house down ?

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Having dealt with the affairs of the elderly on a regular basis in my job, I am surprised more of them aren't blown to Kingdom Come given the state of the maintenance on their homes.

·
Registered
264 Posts
In principle yes, but podpoint will be covering there back with the DNO. You've gotta keep these guys on side. In 5 days when the paperwork is completed he'll have 7kw.

There's a few ways this might have slipped through. The photo of your service head didn't show the looped supply, it got missed in the office.
Here's the photo I sent.

Attachments

·
Registered
142 Posts
You've sent the perfect photo and they haven't looked properly. They should have sent the application well before they turned up to install.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I've also read some of the earlier comments about Granny Chargers and house wiring.

My installer informed me, all of my connections came straight from my meter box.

I am assuming this is a cleaner/tidier and safer solution.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I've also read some of the earlier comments about Granny Chargers and house wiring.

My installer informed me, all of my connections came straight from my meter box.

I am assuming this is a cleaner/tidier and safer solution.
Easier for them to install, some chargers come with a rcd/rcbo/rcm in them so they can come from the db. Podpoint don't so they have to install a switched neutral rcbo tapped off your tails.

·
Registered
243 Posts
If that's a looped supply, how come theer is only one meter, on the incoming feed, before any apparent split ?
The looped supply is shown by the two cables going into the bottom of the DNO cut-out, one is carrying power in either from the distribution cable in street or another house (depending on how many are looped) and the other is carrying it out onto the next property.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
She’s old and has already caused a lock down that some people didn’t want.
But think of the inheritance, man! Teslas all round!

I'm supposed to be getting a smart meter fitted next week, no doubt they'll find another excuse not to fit it, last time it was "You have a gas fire" (not that either of them have ever been lit in the five years we've lived here). Perhaps this time they'll kick off about the charger.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
The looped supply is shown by the two cables going into the bottom of the DNO cut-out, one is carrying power in either from the distribution cable in street or another house (depending on how many are looped) and the other is carrying it out onto the next property.
Oh yes - hard to see without zooming the image!

·
Registered
393 Posts
The daft thing in all of this is that if you’re on the end of the loop often the lack of DNO records means nobody has a clue the loop exists.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Well I have a reply from my DNO.

"Thank you for your application for the connection of electric vehicle charging equipment at the above location.

Following investigation, it has been identified that some works are required to facilitate the continued connection of the equipment to our distribution system. In this instance, the continued connection of the charging installation is subject to the completion of the following minor works:

 Removal of the looped supply
We will contact you to make arrangements for a suitable time to carry out these works.

Please note the characteristics of the installed electric vehicle charging equipment shall only be altered following written agreement between us. In the event the equipment is de-commissioned the customer must notify us in writing."

We will see what happens next.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Minor works; major arseache. Maybe.

If it was me I would leave it at that and let the DNO and the neighbour work out the details for that part of it.

Its your right and completely within both regs and reasonableness. There isn’t a lot to be gained by offering yourself up as piggy in the middle.

It may turn out the engineer neighbour has DIY’d his electrics over the years and knows exactly what the internal issues are and is projecting that fear or their install is just old and well in need of upgrade.

We have moved a few supplies over the years (to get under stairs cupboards or remove from a lounge or whatever) and always found the DNO surveyor to be as helpful as possible including offering ways to reduce the charge by having someone else do groundworks etc etc. In this case everything external from road to house is free to the neighbour anyway.

The DNO will only insist on works in the house prior to connection if those works are needed to be safe. Therefore, if they do, it’s not safe now.....hardly your fault!

·
Registered
393 Posts
Perhaps call the DNO and ask what’s involved (innocently) to your and next door’s property. If they tell you ask a few more questions so you are ready for if the neighbour comes round.

I always find the well informed but dumb approach works to defuse.

Oh hello Fred. Yes we had a letter too.
They said you have some safety issues inside to attend to at the same time? I bet you will be relieved that was discovered and will sleep better after!

·
Registered
4,097 Posts
@Bullterrier

You are confusing the two cases on this thread. @Rjeffery is the one with the reluctant neighbour, @208's Plenty is the one where PodPoint missed the looped supply on their remote survey and ended up installing it at a reduced power. Hopefully the latter's neighbours will not be reluctant for the change to go ahead.

·
Registered
393 Posts
@Bullterrier

You are confusing the two cases on this thread. @Rjeffery is the one with the reluctant neighbour, @208's Plenty is the one where PodPoint missed the looped supply on their remote survey and ended up installing it at a reduced power. Hopefully the latter's neighbours will not be reluctant for the change to go ahead.
Indeed. Missed the hijack completely.

looped can also be 3 or max 4 properties....they will one or all get a letter.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
1,859 Posts
looped can also be 3 or max 4 properties....they will one or all get a letter.
Indeed. When they came to replace my cutout, the DNO electricians surprised me with a map showing most of the house supplies on my street labelled "Presumed". They didn't know for sure either!

41 - 60 of 80 Posts