Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

81 - 99 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Apologies for resurrecting an old post but just thought I would comment when I saw that the op DNO was UKPN.
I am hopefully taking delivery of my EV tomorrow and hopefully will have my Zappi charger installed in a week or so.
I am on a looped supply(Supply goes into my neighbours and then to me).
I contacted UKPN to request my fuse be checked and upgraded if possible.
They sent someone out last week they pulled the 60A fuse and installed a 100A one no comment made.
It appears there is very little consistency in their approach.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
6,906 Posts
I am on a looped supply(Supply goes into my neighbours and then to me).
Will the resultant fire in your neighbours house effect you? :devilish: You have to hope that UKPN have done more analysis on the capacity of the loop first.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Will the resultant fire in your neighbours house effect you? :devilish: You have to hope that UKPN have done more analysis on the capacity of the loop first.
You can only hope it's someone who has done their job right and not just incompetence, so I am probably doomed:p.

Once I have my charger installed I may suggest to my neighbour they request to be unlooped and UKPN will pick up the tab to unloop the houses.

As I am getting a Zappi I can always set a grid limit if it comes to it.

To be honest, what this country needs is the investment to upgrade all houses to 3 phase if we are all moving to EV's and away from gas boilers to hit environmental targets I don't see any way of avoiding it.

·
Registered
611 Posts
You can only hope it's someone who has done their job right and not just incompetence, so I am probably doomed:p.

Once I have my charger installed I may suggest to my neighbour they request to be unlooped and UKPN will pick up the tab to unloop the houses.

As I am getting a Zappi I can always set a grid limit if it comes to it.

To be honest, what this country needs is the investment to upgrade all houses to 3 phase if we are all moving to EV's and away from gas boilers to hit environmental targets I don't see any way of avoiding it.
New build is doing that and they will be first into heat pumps. My own view is that the retrofit market for Mr Normal isn’t mature enough yet. Lots of crap installs and too many moving parts needing lots of space inside the house.

·
Registered
225 Posts
It's possible that @NervousFrog has a similar wiring to me that UKPN already know about - albeit my neighbours loop off me.

My neighbours didn't want to be unlooped because of the disruption to them. Even though it would have been free and they'd have got a 100A supply, and if they request it in the future they might have to pay for it.

I had a visit from UKPN who said they couldn't do anything because my gas supply pipe was too close. Moving the gas meter would have cost me at least £1800.

Then UKPN sent a more experienced team, they looked it and said they could pull up a small section of my drive and cut the incoming supplies there whilst they did their work. They'd fit a new cutout and upgrade me to 80A, the neighbours would have to stay at 60A, but they'd get a new cutout.

When they came to do the work they found that there were four cables coming in to my property (live and neutral for each house) and that they were on different phases. So whilst it appeared to be a looped supply, it wasn't in reality, more just the cable routing.

When they saw the state of the cables they were able to fit a 100A fuse into the new cutout, and the neighbours got 80A. (Not quite sure why the neighbours couldn't have 100A as well.)

When they'd been to do the engineer (one of those who did the work) said they'd also upgrade the tails from the cutout to the meter. They were about to leave when I reminded him of that. His colleague wasn't happy (he was somewhat less friendly) because the tails from the meter to my consumer unit weren't 25mm2. I explained that I was getting my CU replaced in a couple of weeks and that the tails would be done at that point (true, that's now been done), plus I didn't have anything like enough demand to go over 60A. So they upgraded the tails as planned.

So now I'm all set for a charge point install - a Zappi - next month, shortly before my car arrives.

Have to say that, on the whole, UKPN were really good to deal with. Very helpful, came up with a good solution, dealt with my awkward neighbours, did a nice job on the work. Even got their contractors to come back and put the bricks on my driveway back down better than they had the first time. (It wasn't terrible, but could have been better, so it was improved enough for me to be happy with it.)

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
6,906 Posts
Isn't it up to you to ask to be unlooped? Surely your property will be the one that suffers the disruption whilst they install the second supply.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Isn't it up to you to ask to be unlooped? Surely your property will be the one that suffers the disruption whilst they install the second supply.
I think UKPN policy is that the owner of the property who is looped off from has the right (possibly legal right) to ask to be unlooped and will not have to pay for it. 'Difficult' neighbours can end up delaying this process by months.

If the owner of the property who is looped on to asks to be unlooped, they may have to pay.

·
Registered
6 Posts
As all the work is on my property if I request to be unlooped I have to foot the bill to dig up the road(main cable on other side of street) so £5k or more.

If my neighbour requests it the DNO pays.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Can I ask what happend with this I have a corsa e and having se problem neighbours are refusing work in the gardens

We have an Audi E-Tron on order which is due to arrive in a couple of weeks and I have now stumbled across what appears to quite a common issue in regards to a 'Looped Supply' Our current scenario is detailed below, I'm really looking for some advice on what our options are as I seem to see and read many conflicting messages.
  • Our current supply runs into us, then onto our neighbour. This is operating on 60a fuse
  • Our DNO have said we can't upgrade to a 100a fuse as the service wouldn't be able to manage the load
  • As such we would need an independant feed to our neighbours
  • This isnt really an option for us as its going to cause too much unrest
We're based in Kent and our DNO is UK Power Networks.

I'm very much a novice in this area so I'm really after some guidance as to what my options on a looped supply so that we don't have to impact our neighbour.

Please help,

Rob (y)
[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
4 Posts
Can I asked what happened.i have a corsa e and have same problem and neighbours are refusing work in there garden

·
Registered
458 Posts
Vik.

Look at my pictures in post no 76.

They never touched my neighbours garden/block paving drive.

All the work and connection was done on my property.

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28
7,728 Posts
Can someone clarify, please?

If a supply goes to A and then onwards to B.

And A wants the loop to be undone leaving independent supplies to A and B. With all work done on A's property and zero disruption to B ( apart from supply off for a period )

Then there is a charge made.

But if B asks to be unlooped with all work done on A and zero on B then that is free?

Is that the case?

If so, why would B not agree if that situation was fully explained to them?

·
Registered
458 Posts
I was A and the supply came to me, it had to be unlooped. The DNO was more than happy to unloop and no costs were incurred by me. All work undertaken by the DNO.

·
Registered
4 Posts
As of Monday I now have my new EV Dual rate tariff running, along with fully functioning electric SMETS 2 meter.

My looped supply is being corrected today and my Pod Point will be (hopefully) operational tomorrow.

These photos show just how much grief a looped supply causes. However, following discussions with my very helpful DNO, this was the least disruptive of options.

They managed to dig up through the gravel part of my drive, locate the main feed and will do the junction work there, with no need to dig up my neighbours drive.
Thank you

·
Registered
4 Posts
As of Monday I now have my new EV Dual rate tariff running, along with fully functioning electric SMETS 2 meter.

My looped supply is being corrected today and my Pod Point will be (hopefully) operational tomorrow.

These photos show just how much grief a looped supply causes. However, following discussions with my very helpful DNO, this was the least disruptive of options.

They managed to dig up through the gravel part of my drive, locate the main feed and will do the junction work there, with no need to dig up my neighbours drive.
Thank you

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
If the neighbour is being a tool about it I'd suggest nicely to them that you'll get them unlooped anyway, but as it will be all on your land still, if it gets cut by accident after unlooping... You will do exactly the same and they won't be granted access to do a repair so could be without power for a few days while a new line is run across their property.
At least doing it this way means their feed is not at risk from any groundworks on your land.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Just get it done while it is free.

Good video here of the process.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

·
Registered
287 Posts
Just get it done while it is free.

Good video here of the process.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk
this was fascinating, thanks for sharing. Watched the 1yr later and by being on V2G they're basically not paying anything for gas/electric due to export tariffs (making a slight profit). Assuming the grid can handle lots of local generation, that could be a really good way to balance demand as more EVs come onto the market.

81 - 99 of 99 Posts