Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, well I still haven’t taken delivery of my i3s yet due to Covid delays but it’s getting closer, I just want it now.
The car will be charged at home 99% of the time and won’t do mega mileage, around 4000 a year, but if I were to do a longer run I would like to be in the position of having everything in place to charge on the move, therefore I would like to know who I need to register with to be covered with and not just loads to cover me as I know there is a large range of charge stations here in the UK.

As I am going to charge at night is it worth switching to a special tariff and equipment? The car will only do around 4000 miles a year so is it worth laying out to get this set up?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
1,620 Posts
You will be better off switching to the lowest possible tariff anyway. Whether that will be Economy 7 or single tariff or Time-of-day, depends on the deals available to you. Do your research, compare prices.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Hi all, well I still haven’t taken delivery of my i3s yet due to Covid delays but it’s getting closer, I just want it now.
The car will be charged at home 99% of the time and won’t do mega mileage, around 4000 a year, but if I were to do a longer run I would like to be in the position of having everything in place to charge on the move, therefore I would like to know who I need to register with to be covered with and not just loads to cover me as I know there is a large range of charge stations here in the UK.
Main networks:
Ecotricity (at Motorway service stations)
GeniePoint
Polar
Pod-Point

Probably worth registering with all of those in advance of needing to use them. Some need credit on account but you can worry about that before you start charging. They are all app based (GeniePoint will let you register an existing RFID when you are near a charger - and the app is apparently rubbish so use the mobile website and then the fob!).

There are also networks that take contactless payment (Instavolt, Engenie, Ionity) - you don't need to register in advance for these.

Shell Recharge (NewMotion) are worth registering with and ordering a free RFID - you can register the RFID with GeniePoint, and they have roaming agreements with quite a few other networks so it might get you out of an unexpected hole.

Other than that, look at Zap-Map for chargers around places you want to go and see who operates them.

As I am going to charge at night is it worth switching to a special tariff and equipment? The car will only do around 4000 miles a year so is it worth laying out to get this set up?
A proper home charger is well worth it because it will charge quicker than a 3-pin cable and it's likely to be safer.
The Octopus Go and Agile tariffs are popular - Go is 5p for a few hours overnight (I forget how many - I'm on Agile). Take a look at Home - Energy Stats UK to see if Agile will work for you. My referral code is beige-hero-474 if you fancy using it (we both get £50) 😁

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
I'm similar and haven't bothered. At 15p per unit it's about £150 a year, or less. If you get power for half that on average you'll save £75/year (depending on standing charges which can be higher for exotic tariffs). And you've got the hassle of setting up timers, probably getting a smart meter ... and god help you if you want to change supplier :eek:

If you already have economy 7 or similar it may be more worthwhile, but run the numbers and do consider the convenience factor either way.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Emma Jackman posted a helpful video about Octopus Agile the other week:

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'm similar and haven't bothered. At 15p per unit it's about £150 a year, or less. If you get power for half that on average you'll save £75/year (depending on standing charges which can be higher for exotic tariffs). And you've got the hassle of setting up timers, probably getting a smart meter ... and god help you if you want to change supplier :eek:

If you already have economy 7 or similar it may be more worthwhile, but run the numbers and do consider the convenience factor either way.
Good point. Some EVs onboard software can schedule the charge, so you don't necessarily need a smart wall box to start your charging when the cheaper rate kicks in.
The cheaper rate on EDF's EV tariff starts much earlier than typical Economy 7 tariffs. Either 8 or 9pm from memory. You will need a smart meter though. New smart meters are transferrable. It was the first generation that made that tricky.

Here's some rough granny cable maths:
If you're only doing 4,000 miles a year, you'll only use c.1,000kWh. That's only 3kWh a day. Let's say you plug in twice a week, your average charge will be about 9-10kWh. About 4-5 hours on a granny cable.
So top up regularly, in small doses, and your granny cable should be fine. Try it for a while and see how it goes.

·
EVEZY code d55d6 *** Try my car cost calculator
1,572 Posts
I’ve done about 12k miles in a year just with a granny cable at home.

(and some public charging too)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts