Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Additional info to post above

Up and running
South Mimms,Michaelwood N, Michaelwood S, Waterstock(Oxford), Hopwood Park, Membury E, Membury W, Sedgemoor, Newport Pagnell N*, Newport Pagnell S*, Charnock Richard N, Charnock Richard S, Keele N*, Keele S*

(* final commissioning is at the end of next week erg by end w/c 14th November)

To be installed by the end of 2012 - Welcome Break

Abington, Birchanger Green, Burtonwood'Cambridge Days Inn, Cardiff Gate, Corley, Derby East, Derby West, Eurotunnel Passenger Terminal, Fleet North, Fleet South, Gordano, Gretna Green, Hartshead Moor, Leicester Forest East, London Gateway, Peartree, Peterborough Days Inn, Sarn Park, Telford, Warwick North, Warwick South, Woodall

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have used the Ecotricity charging stations at Welcome Break service areas many times and when they are working they are great but they can be a little unreliable and on a fw occasions I, or others, have turned up and the station wasn't working. This seems to be a common problem with these early versions of the smart, RFID activated, charging stations. I am sure they will improve but for now I would advise everyone not rely on them working.

I know that over the coming year there are many more charging stations going in that we will be able to use. Check out http://www.openchargemap.org for charging station locations in the UK.

·
Registered
99 Posts
got my new card from ecotricity today.Membury east appears to be upgraded but west is not mentioned and the windmill at Reading still old kit and u/s

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got my new card today.

See my last post on this thread... Dec 2011. Almost nothing has changed regarding national charging networks since then. I am massively disappointed in the lack of progress in public charging network installations over the past year. Very little has changed. No wonder EV sales are not picking up.

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Dave Mathers said:
got my new card from ecotricity today.Membury east appears to be upgraded but west is not mentioned and the windmill at Reading still old kit and u/s
There's a thread over at http://www.leaftalk.co.uk/showthread.ph ... ts?p=22010
which says Membury should be upgraded by Christmas. The catch for Volt/Ampera owners is that we'll have to have a type 2 cable as the new Ecotricity points don't have 13A sockets at all.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Duncan said:
The catch for Volt/Ampera owners is that we'll have to have a type 2 cable as the new Ecotricity points don't have 13A sockets at all.
You are correct but to be honest, if we Ampera owners are charging at a motorway service area we will want to be charging at 16A and not just 10A if we want to get any sensible miles at all. I have decided that at 10A it isn't really worth charging if I am just having a coffee and toilet break. At 10A a 30 mins break will only add 4-5 miles. It isn't a huge amount more at 16A of course but it is then more worthwhile spending the time plugging in but if I were honest... I generally don't charge the Ampera at public charging unless I can do so for hours rather than minutes.

·
Militant EV driver!
4,937 Posts
Got mine today. However it seems that the old cards will still work too.

Has anyone got a pic of the new white GE chargers?

Brian - I understand 13A is going at all public charge points in the near future.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Thanks for the info. David, didn't realise that the 13amp sockets are going on all charging stations :shock: I will have to buy a type 2 cable, more expence :( but looking on the positive side will get more electric mileage charging at 16amp :D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi, I have tried to use a type 2 cable at Welcome Break stops at oxford and on the m6. Both did not charge my ampera. I am being told that I wasn't forceful enough on the cable to cable connection. Has anyone else had similar problems?

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I haven't had any problems but it does need a firm push. As long as you push in straight it should be fine to push quite firmly.

·
Premium Member
11,304 Posts
I sometimes find it needs a couple of attempts to make a connection. Ocssionally it is also fussy about which end I connect first even thought in theory it does not matter...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts