Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Kona PremSe64k 2020+bluelink +ohme
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Of course if you have solar panels, battery backup, V2H then you have some resilience! For the rest of us our ability to make a cup of tea and internet access could fade after our batteries die!

·
Registered
5,148 Posts
Its most unlike the media to do any sort of scaremongering headline
Sort of yes ... but it's actually the OP who has done the Daily Mail take on it:
For the rest of us our ability to make a cup of tea and internet access could fade after our batteries die!
You don't need to read much (third bullet point) to realise that's not the proposal.

·
EVEZY code -£50 off: d409e
1,985 Posts

·
Registered
4,224 Posts

Of course if you have solar panels, battery backup, V2H then you have some resilience! For the rest of us our ability to make a cup of tea and internet access could fade after our batteries die!
In theory, all OLEV funded Smart EVSEs can be remotely stopped for grid or power distribution reasons at any time.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Of course if you have solar panels, battery backup, V2H then you have some resilience!
In case anyone wants more details:

Power Cut Backup Options with Battery Storage - Tanjent Energy

·
Registered
ZE50 GT Line R135 CCS, Mar '20
186 Posts
So the argument, from the antis, seems to be that rather than selectively cutting power to, in the grand scheme of things, unnecessary usage they would rather a whole area be without power?
E.g. House #1 has a charger, House #2 has an resident with medical equipment that requires constant power... and they would rather cut power to both of them?

I think I see a slight flaw in their argument...

·
Registered
752 Posts
So the argument, from the antis, seems to be that rather than selectively cutting power to, in the grand scheme of things, unnecessary usage they would rather a whole area be without power?
E.g. House #1 has a charger, House #2 has an resident with medical equipment that requires constant power... and they would rather cut power to both of them?

I think I see a slight flaw in their argument...
To me the thrust of the focus of this article seems to be about peak demand from electric vehicles when they become more common in the future. Surely this is about controlling the "luddite knuckle dragging petrolheads" dragged kicking and screaming into EV's in the future. They will have the mentality to "insist" they must be ready to drive 500 miles at a moments notice for some emergency with a far flung UK relative, so the must all plug in and start pulling 7-14 kw as soon as they get home from work at 6pm despite having 50%+ SOC left in the battery.

There will be people about like this, and lots of them. Everyone else, will be reasonable, financially savvy, and have their EV set to charge up after midnight on a low cost EV tarriff to balance the grid, as nearly all us do now, or if charging during the day, it's to use up solar that would otherwise be exported. As we all know, in an emergency, if we are caught short needing to start a long journey straight after getting home, you go to the nearest rapid on route and charge to 30m-1hr, before setting off.

Ok if said relative is on their deathbed and you miss them departing by 30 mins because you had to rapid charge then bad luck, we are back to what our relatives had to live with before automobiles in the early 20thn century, travel will be slower.

In the short term the solution will be simple. the DNO's will know when are area's leccy mainline wiring cant cope with more than the current EV chargers and no new home installs with be approved until they upgrade their part of the local grid.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
5,951 Posts
To me the thrust of the focus of this article seems to be about peak demand from electric vehicles when they become more common in the future. Surely this is about controlling the "luddite knuckle dragging petrolheads" dragged kicking and screaming into EV's in the future. They will have the mentality to "insist" they must be ready to drive 500 miles at a moments notice for some emergency with a far flung UK relative, so the must all plug in and start pulling 7-14 kw as soon as they get home from work at 6pm despite having 50%+ SOC left in the battery.
You mean just like they visit the Petrol Station on the way home everyday to ensure that their fuel tank is full? If they do, they'll just change to visiting the Rapid charger on the same basis.
There will be people about like this, and lots of them. Everyone else, will be reasonable, financially savvy, and have their EV set to charge up after midnight on a low cost EV tarriff to balance the grid, as nearly all us do now, or if charging during the day, it's to use up solar that would otherwise be exported. As we all know, in an emergency, if we are caught short needing to start a long journey straight after getting home, you go to the nearest rapid on route and charge to 30m-1hr, before setting off.
Only if more companies move to a "Time of Use" style charging system. Perhaps once Ofgem start changing the profile on which the Retailers are charged to reflect the usage of their clients rather than a standard average profile this might cause the change to happen.
In the short term the solution will be simple. the DNO's will know when are area's leccy mainline wiring cant cope with more than the current EV chargers and no new home installs with be approved until they upgrade their part of the local grid.
Not until they take account of the same individuals turning on their ASHP heating systems when they get home and account for "Commando" type installs that don't require approval. Bottom line is that they need to get ahead of the issue and uprate the networks ASAP.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
For the rest of us our ability to make a cup of tea and internet access could fade after our batteries die!
Except that isn't what it says. It's only for high consumption devices like Heat Pumps and Car Chargers. And likely to be only for relatively short, unpredictable events (like a large power generator tripping on a cold winter evening) and until suitable reserve or repair can be put in place.

·
Registered
752 Posts
You mean just like they visit the Petrol Station on the way home everyday to ensure that their fuel tank is full? If they do, they'll just change to visiting the Rapid charger on the same basis.
This is easily solved, if they pass this legislation they can "order" Charging networks to send a blocking signal to rapid chargers in overloaded areas so the wont initiate the charge, say from 6pm to 9pm. The the luddites either go home and wait to charge or they wont be getting home with a full charge until 10pm.

Once they are "re-educated" i'm sure they will amend their habits and this issue will become a non issue. If they really need to charge asap they can buy and install battery storage at a kwh level matched to their EV's , and charge them the prior night to use the following evening as soon as they get home. This will be at their expense though to cover their paranoia and most will come to realise, why do they need to spend thousands on batteries for events that happen a few times a year.

·
Registered
752 Posts
high consumption devices like Heat Pumps
I love the EV's and all for them, and forcing them on others, but they will have to drag me kicking and screaming away from my Gas Central heating. A future large full width house extension already has wood burning stove planned in also with the full span bi-folding doors. I will have the ability to heat my house with fossil fuels somehow just in case of TEOTWAWKI.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
I love the EV's and all for them, and forcing them on others, but they will have to drag me kicking and screaming away from my Gas Central heating. A future large full width house extension already has wood burning stove planned in also with the full span bi-folding doors. I will have the ability to heat my house with fossil fuels somehow just in case of TEOTWAWKI.
You can keep your woodburner for occasion, but Heat Pumps working with wet Underfloor Heating are a great solution for large renovation projects that off you the chance to dig-out and insulate effectively. A good friend had just done a large renovation with full width bi-folds and ASHP.

If the end of the world happens, you won't be running your gas central heating from a gas bottle.

·
Registered
752 Posts
You can keep your woodburner for occasion, but Heat Pumps working with wet Underfloor Heating are a great solution for large renovation projects that off you the chance to dig-out and insulate effectively. A good friend had just done a large renovation with full width bi-folds and ASHP.

If the end of the world happens, you won't be running your gas central heating from a gas bottle.
Wood burning stove is mostly for nostalga reasons, but could heat the whole house if the shit hit the fan, as it's a modern 2009 house fully insulated with nowhere for the heat to escape. I find the flames hypnotic and relaxing, and may nan and grandad had one in the 70's in their open plan kitchen / dining room with 3 armchairs and the TV. They lived in that room all winter as the house was a 1940's steel frame single brick skin prefab. Ahhh, fresh hand cut thick slices of white bread toasted in flont of the open woodburner on a heavy 3 prong cast iron tasting fork.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts