Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

21 - 40 of 3435 Posts

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
A lot depends on what 'deliveries begin in June' actually means - is this the date that the first UK car leaves the holding pound behind the factory or the date that the first customer in the UK actually gets their car?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Do they?!
I don't believe they do. Certainly they haven't registered a boat's worth of RHD vehicle identification numbers yet*

My opinion is that they do have around 300-400 RHD vehicles on the boat currently destined for Zeebrugge (Grand Phoenix). I think those will be transported to UK and delivered at the back end of June. It's likely to be performance model 3s only.

[* unless the sampling method model3vins uses has missed them]

·
Registered
8,980 Posts
My understanding is that they all have towing hitch capability - the difference is that you get the additional parts pack as well. However for regulatory reasons you can’t get the parts pack separately.I believe that it was the same for the Model X.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
My understanding is that they all have towing hitch capability - the difference is that you get the additional parts pack as well. However for regulatory reasons you can’t get the parts pack separately.I believe that it was the same for the Model X.
The tow hitch connection is part of the chassis but it has to be specified as its a non standard part on the chassis and so cannot be retro fitted.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
10,057 Posts
I don't believe they do. Certainly they haven't registered a boat's worth of RHD vehicle identification numbers yet*
For RHD cars destined for UK I assume there is no legal obligation for Tesla to register them with NHTSA? The early RHD VINs were driven in CA for testing, so had to be.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Also, tow hitch is not available as an option on the Performance...

·
Registered
70 Posts
For RHD cars destined for UK I assume there is no legal obligation for Tesla to register them with NHTSA? The early RHD VINs were driven in CA for testing, so had to be.
I don't know whether they have to or not. However they have done for all vehicles manufactured so far including the EU cars so it'd be strange for them not to.

They've also recently registered a couple of hundred RHD VINs which implies that they are doing and it's nothing to do with whether they get driven in the US or not.

·
Registered
78 Posts
So our estimates for long range awd purchased on the 1st May is delivery around 1st August?

Does that sound about correct
I'm an optimist so hoping for delivery by mid-July for mine. I did place an initial reservation and deposit in April 2017, but so did many others I would imagine. My order placed on 1 May is the LR AWD, 19" wheels, with FSD. If delivery is set beyond the 15th of July, I will push it until post 1 September, as I will take holidays and it is so close to 69 plate anyway at that point no sense not waiting. So my slot may get allocated to next in line should the delivery push into later July.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Nobody except Tesla knows and they aren't telling.

Correct only Elon and a few other know and they are not talking.

But there are some knowledgeable folks on here that have tracked VINs and boats and have a rough idea. I am just after their thoughts.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
That's why I started the thread but everything is very much hearsay

·
Registered
70 Posts
Facts:
- They've only registered around 300 RHD VINs.
- There are no ships from SF port 80 with UK registered as destination

Thoughts:
Based on timings of the registration vs ship departures, the facts imply ~300 RHD cars currently on a boat en-route to Zeebrugge. Depending on how they get to the UK those could be delivered in mid-to-late June. Likely high-value orders to boost Q2 earnings and to be able to say that they've started delivering to RHD markets.

IMO there's no evidence of any other RHD production yet.

As others have said elsewhere - from Tesla's point of view with end of Q2 approaching they're probably best sending smaller numbers of cars to lots of places (e.g. UK + multiple EU countries) on a boat rather than a full boat to the UK and have them sit there not able to be delivered in Q2 due to pressure at delivery centres. That makes sense to me.

Given shipping times, they're approaching the cut-off to get vehicles produced, shipped and delivered to Europe in Q2. That might mean that Tesla may have now "done" with Q2 international deliveries and may concentrate production on US orders (if they feel they have the demand).

It'll be interesting to see if the current EU boat/s do a UK stop before/after Zeebrugge. If so, then I'd expect the same pattern to continue going forward, e.g. RHD vehicles making up part of a broader EU ship to give achievable delivery volumes in the UK. If not, then Tesla may do a full boat (hopefully early) in Q3 to clear the UK backlog / build up some inventory.

·
Registered
391 Posts
They've only registered around 300 RHD VINs. Likely high-value orders to boost Q2 earnings and to be able to say that they've started delivering to RHD markets.

Any guesses on if they are performance model only or both long range and Performance.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Be handy to know, if SR+ is scheduled for later deliveries I'd put a deposit down but July/August is a little soon

21 - 40 of 3435 Posts