Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

41 - 60 of 3509 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Based on timings of the registration vs ship departures, the facts imply ~300 RHD cars currently on a boat en-route to Zeebrugge.
Would they really bother switching the tooling from LHD to RHD just for 300 cars, though? At a production level of 6000 a week, that's less than half-a-day of RHD production.

Given they're now on batch-production, I would have expected them to switch to RHD for a week or so and crank out some proper volumes (6000+ RHD). Surely wouldn't be cost-efficient to do lower volume runs? Unless the tooling switch from LHD to RHD is much simpler than I'm imagining....

·
Registered
70 Posts
Would they really bother switching the tooling from LHD to RHD just for 300 cars, though? At a production level of 6000 a week, that's less than half-a-day of RHD production.
Indeed. Seems odd, but that's what the facts suggest.

Given they're now on batch-production, I would have expected them to switch to RHD for a week or so and crank out some proper volumes (6000+ RHD). Surely wouldn't be cost-efficient to do lower volume runs? Unless the tooling switch from LHD to RHD is much simpler than I'm imagining....
Tooling complexity aside I would have thought it would have been sensible to do a full boat-load (3500-4500-ish IIRC). Presumably they view that as a "waste" of production capacity given it won't contribute to Q2 figures (no way to get that volume through the delivery hubs in Q2).

All just guessing though :)

·
R110 ZE40 White (2018)
66 Posts
My estimated delivery date in the online configurator has changed from June to July today. Ordered a SR+. Tried changing to long range to see if that changed estimated delivery date but alas, no.

·
Registered
6,779 Posts
Probably made the first batch of RHD by hand, they have form for not getting the automation sorted in time and throwing labour at the problem instead (e.g. the batteries, the soundproofing, the seats)

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
I am not sure but it may be Tesla are doing something similar to Rover did with the SD1 back in the day. Rover had a vent which was positioned where the steering column was situated on lefthand drive cars and the instruments were all housed in one box on the dash which could be positioned left or right for different countries. The Model 3 on some pictures may be using the glovebox swapped sides to house the steering column. So RHD or LHD is maybe simpler to cater for in production. Who knows.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Around the end of April we were speculating how many Teslas have actually been sold in the UK to judge Model 3 demand, and I said I'd go find that out from the government itself. I've just got those and the numbers are:

Model S: 18124
Model X: 7268
Roadster: 93
Total: 25485

·
Registered
2,378 Posts

The car was designed to be either. No real reason why the production line couldn't support a mix of LHD and RHD at the same time like most other OEMs.

More likely to be batched by colour IMO.

·
Registered
403 Posts
When I called Tesla today about my financing options they advised that delivery should be some time around August and if it is comes earlier then think of it as a bonus.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I appreciate that no one has definitive information (or a perfect crystal ball), but is there a chance that any RHD M3s are loaded on the Nocc Oceanic? Or is that wholly unlikely?
IMHO possible, but Grand Phoenix is more likely. Probably only 300ish though

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Everybody's getting excited with anticipation because "Christmas" is fast approaching! Unfortunately we dont know what date it is, or even which month! (Fingers crossed we know the year!).
Like a lot of folks i have some financial planning and cash flow organisation to do, so hopefully we will all get good notice of "when our ship comes in".

·
Registered
19 Posts
Everybody's getting excited with anticipation because "Christmas" is fast approaching! Unfortunately we dont know what date it is, or even which month! (Fingers crossed we know the year!).
Like a lot of folks i have some financial planning and cash flow organisation to do, so hopefully we will all get good notice of "when our ship comes in".
Buying a Tesla Model 3 is painful

Delivery Dates Unknown
Only way to Buy at the moment is Finance or Cash
Insurance is ridiculous (Currently only Direct line - My current insurer Aviva said they wont insure Tesla Model 3)
That said if someone uses my referral code at least that's a Bonus (lol - its Free Supercharger Miles if any one wants to use it 5000 supercharge miles till 28/5 :D)

On a serious note though, this is all really exciting - when I spoke to Tesla last week they did say that all orders that had already been placed should be delivered no later than then end of July to quote toscal353 i too have some financial planning to do, so notice would be good :)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Just put the phone down from Tesla as my order page had not refreshed which they did from their end. The fabled first 200 M3's are on their way and will be delivered at end of June/beginning of July, not all of them are the higher specs. But the next bath will be on their way shortly after so he thinks that all early reservations/order will be fulfilled in July as Tesla is devoting most of its current production run to RHD. You will receive an email and text message when you car is ready. I was a day 1 reservation holder and invoice 1803 (2 May). So looking positive.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Just put the phone down from Tesla as my order page had not refreshed which they did from their end. The fabled first 200 M3's are on their way and will be delivered at end of June/beginning of July, not all of them are the higher specs. But the next bath will be on their way shortly after so he thinks that all early reservations/order will be fulfilled in July as Tesla is devoting most of its current production run to RHD. You will receive an email and text message when you car is ready. I was a day 1 reservation holder and invoice 1803 (2 May). So looking positive.
What do you think your playing at coming round here with FACTS of all things, honestly you'll not make friends like that

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
I've not followed this closely why is the TSLA stock dropping just now. Is it people short selling or something else

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

41 - 60 of 3509 Posts