Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 152 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Some of you may know that the Ariya is avaialbe to pre-order in the States, but not in the UK yet, for delivery in the Autumn (fall) of 2022, .
However, after a response from to Nissan UK today,

"The release schedule for the Ariya does vary across different countries. For the UK the first deliveries of the Ariya are expected in summer 2022.
The pre-order date and the arrival of Ariya examples in the Nissan dealerships has not yet been announced but will be in due course as the release date approaches."

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
11,027 Posts
The UK is well towards the back of the queue. There's no UK production and they'll further canabalise sales of the LEAF 62 which is a UK built product.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
The UK is well towards the back of the queue. There's no UK production and they'll further canabalise sales of the LEAF 62 which is a UK built product.
Not sure about the UK being at the back of the queue, the MeganE, same platform/group is expected in the autumn 2022, and Nissan have build a dedicated foactory fo the Ariya. And as Japan also drives on the left, I think the UK has quite a chance - hopefully.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Decided to pay that £99 reservation fee. I was told test drives should be available around April / May and deliveries June/July.
Was really interested in Kona EV6 but delivery times are now around 9+ months so assuming Ariya is similar to EV6 I might just get it instead if I can get one around June/July.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I've put a reservation on one too - the e4orce performance version. I did look at the Kia EV6 before I'd even heard of the Nissan Ariya, although the EV6 GT variant which I was interested in had a few things missing that aren't missing on the Ariya. The ev6 doesn't do OTA updates for the system modules, plus the GT variant only comes in three colours; no sunroof, and manual front seats. I also prefer the look of the Ariya, both inside and out - now the long wait

·
Registered
47 Posts
I was hoping to have a charger installed before the end of March and claim the £350 government olev grant but annoyingly I don't qualify because the Ariya has yet to be entered on the government list of approved vehicles . According to Nissan UK the car hasn't been entered because it hasn't officially been released!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Just ordered mine today. Forecast delivery is August but I'll kick that out to September to get a 72 plate.

I went for the Advance. There's not enough that I would value in the Evolve to justify a £10k increase in the price. HUD would have been nice but it's nearly £2k as an option because it comes as part of the Bose tech pack.

Test drive vehicle expected to be available June. Not expecting there to be any deal breakers but if there are, the dealership will refund the deposit. With new cars on a long lead time, they reckon they can easily resell it if I don't take it.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
I was hoping to have a charger installed before the end of March and claim the £350 government olev grant
Assuming the Ariya has the same type of charging timer as the Leaf then you could get a dumb charge point and save yourself a good £350 off the price of one that meets the OLEV standard. I've had EVs since 2013 and never felt the need to have a smart charger, whereas many of those on this forum who had to get one to claim the grant have had lots of trouble with them. That option doesn't expire until the end of the year.

·
Premium Member
12,480 Posts
Assuming the Ariya has the same type of charging timer as the Leaf then you could get a dumb charge point and save yourself a good £350 off the price of one that meets the OLEV standard. I've had EVs since 2013 and never felt the need to have a smart charger, whereas many of those on this forum who had to get one to claim the grant have had lots of trouble with them. That option doesn't expire until the end of the year.
After 30 June 2022 it will be illegal for a business to sell a dumb charging point. Due to this, manufacturers are starting to reduce price on stock they won't be able to install before then. Although they could sell for public charging or export, they probably want to have a consistent product line. The OP could look for a deal and get an electrician to install.

One example (but not pretty) is available in green or white as of now...

·
Premium Member
12,480 Posts

Ignore me @proddick , I've found it. Well I never, I hadn't realised. More to go wrong on a smart unit and my in-car timer does the same off-peak job. I'm a bit annoyed by this.

Sorry to hijack the thread, by the way.
No worries on thread drift, it is what we do here :)

I think the problem with in-car timers is the drivers have to actively set them and people who are on single tariff rates don't bother and plug in at peak time when they get home from work, school run, etc. The hope is they will leave it set for the default 1am (or whatever it is).

On a more practical note, not many cars have GPS based scheduling and on the Zoe it is a faff to switch on/off the schedule, so I would find it useful to have it in the charging point. Sadly our Zoe is charged outside on the old Chargemaster that has no such facility!

Reactions: DuRam

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
I like having a dumb charge point and the timer in the car. It works flawlessly and the GPS "only apply the timer at home" feature is brilliant; let's hope that the Ariya also has it.

However, I can see that it isn't sustainable and we need smart chargers as the uptake of BEVs increases. They problem is that there is no standard infrastructure for smart chargers so as it stands, they won't meet the need of being able to be managed through Demand Side Response. Looking at the hash that's been made of the smart meter roll out, which is mostly one way reporting of usage without the need for control, I don't have much hope that integrating smart chargers into a dynamically managed network is coming any time soon.

In the meantime, consumers are stuck having to buy chargers from a host of different companies, all with different back office kit, different apps and no guarantee that they are going to be around in a few years time.

Suppliers like Octopus have smart charger tariffs but they are only available for a limited range of chargers so you might have bought a smart charger but still not be able to use a fully smart tariff or you might have got on to a smart charger tariff right as your chargepoint manufacturer decides they've had enough of this game and shuts down the cloud services.

1 - 20 of 152 Posts