Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wanted to share my cheat sheet for charging an EV in UK:

It is based around the Kia Soul EV 64kWh, thus the 32kWh or 50%.

Any comments/feedback are welcome.
Added pdf version.

Attachments

·
Registered
599 Posts
Firstly Rapid is up to 50kw, fast up to 22kw, and above 50kw , ultra-rapid. I think you should have two separate columns for Polar Plus and Polar Instant, and then a few extra columns for 2 charges per month, 5 charges per month and 10 charges per month. The reason being for two or more charges a month Polar plus up to 50kw Rapid charging is way cheaper than anything else, and Ultra Rapid over 50kw is very competitive too.

Also shell recharge is missing? , according to their website they have 150 UK locations.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Also Polar has "free" points that are totally free on Plus, but £1.20 conn fee only on Instant. ie, use 6-7 of these a month when out and about Plus can be seen as "free". We tend to use them whenever available (Waitrose/John Lewis has one when we go there).

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,244 Posts
Also Polar has "free" points that are totally free on Plus,
That's using man maths. I see your point, but you've got to do that every month for it to make economic sense.

I used to get the subscription free from OVO (sort of free), but struggled to justify even that over the whole year. It ended up cheaper and better sense customer service wise to switch to Octopus.

If you take it far enough, if I was prepared to park my car on a Tesco charger until it was full. Which I witness a driving school guy with his Leaf doing the other day. Then I could have totally free charging. The mile and a half walk home and back is a little off putting.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, I haven't included "free" or home chargers, as these are easy to calculate. My idea here was a quick reference to costs. And the graph gives an estimate of let's say how much it would be to charge 20kWh on a certain network.

What I did not expect, was how irrelevant the initial minimum payment is on CYC/D2N2.

Reactions: Tuppe

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Also Polar has "free" points that are totally free on Plus...
Yep, and results in charge-point hogging. We've seen is repeatedly locally (when I say repeatedly, I mean 2 incidents, each long-term - one has been going on for years now).

·
Registered
599 Posts
Thanks, I haven't included "free" or home chargers, as these are easy to calculate. My idea here was a quick reference to costs. And the graph gives an estimate of let's say how much it would be to charge 20kWh on a certain network.

What I did not expect, was how irrelevant the initial minimum payment is on CYC/D2N2.
Sorry nice attempt but I just don't find it truly representative as it is. You have 2 columns for CYC, why not 3 for BP? Polar Plus, Instant and Contactless, and i'm not convinced CYC/D2N2 have any chargers over 50kw?, so those columns should be dashed or blank. You have just fudged things to look neat in one column to produce a pretty graph. Also polar Instant rates are 18p up to 7kw, 25p for 50 kw and 35p for 150kw. Yet you have shoved in a nominal £8 which is the Polar plus 150kw rate buts takes no account for the £7 subscription fee.

If I use Polar Plus once an month for 50kw it will cost me £11.80 for 32kw, but if i use it 10 times it will only be £5.50, the cheapest 50kw option, and BP Polar Plus 50kw becomes the cheapest option with only 5 charges a month, @ £6.20 a charge.

I'm obviously most narked about this as i'm a BP shareholder in my SIPP, and a Polar plus subcriber, so i know what the truth is, and this isn't a true version of the facts of the costs of charging as BP doesnt fit neatly into your little box.

·
Registered
218 Posts
That's using man maths. I see your point, but you've got to do that every month for it to make economic sense.
We use it enough that it makes sense in the nearby town -> We would be members anyhow however as I also require a Polar card to be a member of a couple of private networks for my clients parking sites (not on Polar map but use Polar). So in my case Polar card is a sunk cost given I ideally need the card in non-covid times to be able to get back from one client office in paritcular (given lack of Rapids nearby). (The card is also to allow the client to be able to bill me for the electricity used, again via my polar account). I suspect this will also be the case for many others in future where employers use non-employees for some work elements and need a way of billing these for electricity that doesn't involve cash passing.

Free Parking when charging, and Free Charging both may be man-math, but we have increased our custom of a nearby town becuause the posts are there... and I noted from the other EV owners we've met at the posts that they said same. I suspect councils will see this and increase posts in future -> and this area seems to have some forward thinking councils putting PLENTY of car-park destination charging in. Both larger downs next door to me, BOTH offer free Polar posts at shops we frequent at least once a week for shopping, and it makes sense to take some electricity from them with a polar card given we have one given our dwell time is an hour or two on average. I doubt I would bother on instant with the connection fee.

I'm in agreement though, this could lead to people permantly parking at the spots in places, however it makes less sense in both of above given the car-parks are at least a mile away from any residentual property, and are not open 24/7 car-park wise, so people have to move their cars overnight.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
If you take it far enough, if I was prepared to park my car on a Tesco charger until it was full. Which I witness a driving school guy with his Leaf doing the other day. Then I could have totally free charging. The mile and a half walk home and back is a little off putting.
As indeed would be the Penalty Notice you'd get for spending more than 3 hours in a Tesco car park !

Reactions: Neilew

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,244 Posts
As indeed would be the Penalty Notice you'd get for spending more than 3 hours in a Tesco car park !
Yes, I wonder how he went on. He'd been there quite a while when he turned up as I was plugging in.:unsure:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts