Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there enough talented individuals on this forum to establish a UK wide electric vehicle owners club?
The intention being to promote UK uptake of EV's, and act as a pressure group to demand/advise government and private investment into the EV infrastructure. In short, an attempt to provide that joined up thinking that has obviously so far been lacking from the OLEV and individual charging networks.
The Tesla and Renault ZOE specific groups seem to be proving very popular. Surely if we all came together to promote our cause we could make a real difference?
I'll bet the AA, RAC, IAM etc all started with a group of like minded individuals getting together for a common cause. Could we do the same?

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
I genuinely think just being involved with the forum and helping people with their transition is more useful than any pressure group. It also happens to be something that nobody else does better.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hot potato, it's been tried a few times and has ended in disaster every time.
Any specific reasons for the failures? I mean, have any of those issues since been addressed or could they, now that there are more EV owners in the mix?

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I genuinely think just being involved with the forum and helping people with their transition is more useful than any pressure group. It also happens to be something that nobody else does better.
Agreed, this is the go to place for help and advice but the forum doesn't have a voice to represent all this wisdom to the decision makers in government etc.

·
Banned
476 Posts
Grim you can do whatever you like, wisedom a voice spreading the word etc the goverment will not listen why because ev's don't give them any money. No road tax fuel servicing etc why should they listen they would stupid to seriously invest in a proper charging infrastructure.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Grim you can do whatever you like, wisedom a voice spreading the word etc the goverment will not listen why because ev's don't give them any money. No road tax fuel servicing etc why should they listen they would stupid to seriously invest in a proper charging infrastructure.
Right now I can't see the present government doing anything to help the switch from (for them) lucrative oil business to a common sense, cheaper, less polluting and less climate damaging solution like EV's. However, if we all sit back and do nothing then this situation will surely never change.
If enough people talk common sense then more people will listen and come onboard until eventually even a self absorbed government will find it in their own interests to support the necessary changes.

·
Zoe Devotee
8,962 Posts
The Tesla and Renault ZOE specific groups seem to be proving very popular.
There is a reason for that, some cars have a life all of their own and some cars are white goods.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There's one in Scotland - EVAS (Electric Vehicle Association (Scotland). It has been around since 2010 and is a useful pressure group that regularly meets with Transport Scotland and MSP's. Anyone north of the border is most welcome to join - it's free too!

www.eva-Scotland.org
And Scotland have a good network of well positioned chargers which I understand are mostly free to use.
Is this a coincidence?

·
otleyshev ( kev)
1,455 Posts
Are there enough talented individuals on this forum to establish a UK wide electric vehicle owners club?
The intention being to promote UK uptake of EV's, and act as a pressure group to demand/advise government and private investment into the EV infrastructure. In short, an attempt to provide that joined up thinking that has obviously so far been lacking from the OLEV and individual charging networks.
The Tesla and Renault ZOE specific groups seem to be proving very popular. Surely if we all came together to promote our cause we could make a real difference?
I'll bet the AA, RAC, IAM etc all started with a group of like minded individuals getting together for a common cause. Could we do the same?
I wouldn't say I was supper intelligent but me & my son set up eccy on face book last year eccy stands for electric car car club Yorkshire.
Please check it out meeting up and coming soon comments & any help appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
11,555 Posts
As the saying goes - I wouldn't want to be a member of any club that would have me as a member. :)
Groucho Marx.

That quote may or may not have had something to do with discrimination. I've heard it both ways. Marx was Jewish.

My stepmother knew him.

·
Registered
610 Posts
And Scotland have a good network of well positioned chargers which I understand are mostly free to use.
Is this a coincidence?
Partially.... but we have a very good national network and the Govt in Edinburgh are good with their consultation phases, where EVAS get asked to comment from the 'user' perspective. Apart from a few Podpoint/EH/Polar sites the vast majority are all Council provided and funded by ScotGov, so remain free, and require a single ChargePlace Scotland card (£10pa, but charging free) - unless an early adopter where it's free for life.

It's a shame those down south have so much fragmentation as I can appreciate how frustrating it is playing card bingo when you need a boost.

·
9,719 Posts
Any specific reasons for the failures? I mean, have any of those issues since been addressed or could they, now that there are more EV owners in the mix?
Big personalities, unrealistic and divergent expectations.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts