Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
7,197 Posts
With the RHA as a lobby that funds the Conservative party, what do you expect?

To be fair, there are very few large HGV alternatives to fossil fuels, there is no H2 infrastructure and things like the Tesla Semi are not yet on open sale.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Luckily, the government have also pledged to ensure that all domestic flights are net zero by 2040 too.

No mention of how long haul flights will be negated though, just like presently, so keep on pumping out the aviation fuel at 40,000ft!!

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
7,197 Posts
Ideally most HGV traffic would be on the railways.
Not by 2040 - look at our success in building CrossRail and HS2, any significant further capacity will only arrive long after that date.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
7,197 Posts
Luckily, the government have also pledged to ensure that all domestic flights are net zero by 2040 too.
Meaningless empty promises. Long-term sequestration of carbon is very difficult and expensive, and hypothecating gains from elsewhere against flying is disingenuous.:mad:

Meanwhile, there is the minor issue of cost - from the same newspaper website:

Trains far greener but much more costly than planes, analysis finds

It'll be a very brave Government to expect people to carry such a cost increase or reduction in lifestyle. :devilish:

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 2 LR, Seat Mii
413 Posts
Like the argument between rail and road transport, this looks at cost to the customer while ignoring all the subsidies that road and air transport get.
If the government spent the same on the railways as it does on airports, airspace management and other infrastructure it would be a very different picture.
And HS2 is useless - what's needed is lots more local railway infrastructure.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
No mention of how long haul flights will be negated though, just like presently, so keep on pumping out the aviation fuel at 40,000ft!!
This link outlines some of the engineering challenges ….

Aircraft captains are continually held to account if they onload fuel greater than the amount specified on the flight plan. Why - because for each tonne of extra fuel carried, 7% of it was used per hour just to carry it on the pax aircraft that I flew.

The article fails to make any reference to how these aircraft would be handled at airports, and whether they would ever make a profit. For example, just think of the infrastructure needed to rapid charge just a single aircraft or to replenish it with hydrogen. Commercial aircraft designed to fly 16 to 18 hours a day don’t make money when they are sitting on the ground.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
3,727 Posts
Impossible, of course. Perhaps every big factory could have a siding but that still won't get supplies to my local supermarket. Regardless of cost.
It was possible (and done), before Beeching. Look up "Scammell Scarab", used for last-mile deliveries from train stations back in the day.
An EV version of that would be very useful after 2040.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Try catching a train to Bude in North Cornwall :ROFLMAO: Freight would need to come a long way to us. I work for an engineering firm and we have 300 Tons of steel delivered every month truck is the only option. Mind you by 2040 I will long retired.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Just an aside interms of cost to reinstate old railway lines. The Bere Alston to Okehampton railway is approx 23 miles. The cost to open it back up was quoted by network rail at 100 Million pounds.

So Bude has no chance :(

·
Registered
2017 Golf GTE
2,864 Posts
It was possible (and done), before Beeching. Look up "Scammell Scarab", used for last-mile deliveries from train stations back in the day.
Don't need to Google, remember the Scammel Scarab that worked out of the goods yard in the station in our village of 2000 people around 1952.

Who thinks we can rebuild the pre-Beeching railway infrastructure including thousands of local goods yards and dozens of huge regional marshalling yards to deal with the piecemeal nature of lots of the freight traffic.

Where do we get the patience to wait a week for something to arrive?

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
No, it wasn't.

We would have to turn all our local rail stations into freight terminals to even get close, which in turn would make passenger use of the railways almost impossible as freight would block the network.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Perhaps we should fly less and pay more for the privilege when we do.
You need to look at the Government’s regional airports policy which is to improve connectivity around the UK. The proposed changes to Air Passenger Tax are to target frequent business flyers with cheaper flights for those that only fly once per year. There is nothing in the policy to reduce the number of flights.

A battery powered A380 could fly about a 1000Kms compared to 15000Kms on conventional fuel. A H2 powered airliner will require 8 times the present tankage volume to fly the same instance.

It is worth mentioning that BJ now has a RAF Airbus A330-243 Voyager in VIP fit and 2 brand new Airbus A321 Neo on ‘wet lease’ from Titan Airways as his Ministerial VIP fleet. This is not a Government that is giving up air travel anytime soon.

·
Registered
MG ZS EV
652 Posts
Well there are moves to improve freight transport on the railway. GBRf have just bought new wagons for containers which increases the number you can get on a train by removing gaps between the boxes. Southampton docks access has been improved to get longer trains in and out of the docks which already had 36% of containers leaving by rail. Old passenger stock has been refitted to handle parcel traffic into city centres, similar to the post trains and there are many tweaks to the network: underpasses and chords being added to get train conflicting movements removed. Big depots are being built to manage the interchange of containers away from the docks, I think one is in Daventry and the old nuclear flask handling equipment near Dounrey is being tested to see if it can handle containers, presumably as a link to the Orkney isles. A trial of double length freight trains from quarries in the Peak District to London has been successfully tried. So much is going on quietly in the background. Of course all the heavy coal trains to power stations have stopped running so there are paths for freight coming available.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Try catching a train to Bude in North Cornwall :ROFLMAO: Freight would need to come a long way to us. I work for an engineering firm and we have 300 Tons of steel delivered every month truck is the only option. Mind you by 2040 I will long retired.
Blimey, I'm sure my 'O' level geography taught me that heavy industry grew up round decent transport links! Anyway, sorry about your next few deliveries; we seem to have a shortage of HGV drivers..

For all the negativity around the use of railways there is surely a far bigger part they can play. I was reading somewhere about a strategic partnership between the railways and road haulage regarding the Southampton to Midlands corridor. As someone who has stood on Southampton station platform watching a heavy load of containers pass through and has driven up the A34 I know which alternative I prefer!

·
Registered
909 Posts
[Like so many of the problems that need to be addressed on the path to nett zero the answer will lie somewhere in between. It requires huge amounts of planning, but far, far more freight can be put onto the rail network from key hubs, then using road transport for the final delivery to the consumer, rather than continuing to rely on road transport as the de facto option which will then open up opportunities for some of this road transport to be BEV based as the HGV journeys could be substantially reduced.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts