Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dealer has told me all i3’s registered after April 1st will be subject to a £675 price increase. Can’t see anything about this on line and BMW website says nothing. Anybody else been told something similar or know about this?

·
Registered
2020 BMW i3S 120Ah BEV
526 Posts
I did hear a rumour that price increases were coming, but have no indication as to why. Crazy really, when you look at the competition now. (Tho the virus and brexit will both probably be cited as reasons I'm sure.)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh yeah and BMW won’t honour previously agreed order prices if the car is registered after 31 March??!!

·
Registered
2020 BMW i3S 120Ah BEV
526 Posts
That is odd, yes. They had made it clear to me that they would honour the agreed prices no matter what.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Which would be fair given that they are in no position to deliver the car due to the Coronavirus. My dealer wants to register the car by 31 Mar (to lock in the price); take my money; and will have the car available for collection er.....no idea - depends on the Government!!!!!!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Without confirmation from HQ this sounds like dealer-quota blackmail to me.
Ask for details in writing and make it clear that you'll check with BMW head office.

Reactions: Boxbrownie

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For clarification the car just arrived off the boat in Southampton yesterday so has not even started it’s pre-delivery journey. And the dealer is fully closing on 31 March for two weeks minimum (to take advantage of Government handouts).
Personally I think they are taking the ****!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Seems like blackmail to me too.
Now telling me they need an answer on registration by 12.00am today!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That is where things are heading. Just need to get my deposit off the dealer.

They are telling me that BMW offered price protection for cars ordered up to a certain date but mine was ordered after that date - on 4 February.

·
Registered
168 Posts
That sort of strong-arm tactic would have me reaching for the cancel button - there may also be pre-reg cars or other dealers that are more friendly, unless you've ordered a very special spec. I agree about refusing the price increase and I would also consider name & shame dealer here. You could email BMW customer service explaining that their franchisee is using pressure-selling tactics (at this difficult time etc etc) representing very poor customer service which is not appreciated.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I am buying through a broker so I decided to involve him. The following facts were established. BMW have temporarily suspended dealer targets so the quarter end registration rush is not a factor for the time being. BMW are also increasing i3 prices by £675 from April (whether due to exchange rate / pandemic or other factors).
In fairness to the dealer they offered a substantial (in i3 terms) discount back in Feb which the broker felt would not be repeated in a 'post virus' world while dealer targets were suspended. (Well he would say that - but he might be right).
The car is a factory order to my spec and it is built and in the UK. So after much consideration I decided to agree to having it registered, saved the £675, and didn't 'walk'.
So I now have the reg. no. and the chassis number of a car that I hope to see soon but not sure when. What strange times we are living in!

·
Registered
2020 BMW i3S 120Ah BEV
526 Posts
I'm sure they will keep it nice and tidy for you and no-one will be doing any "test drives" anytime soon. Frustrating though it may be (and I'm sure it is VERY frustrating) you've probably made the same choice I would have done.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I guess the facts, reassurance and the saving of almost 700 notes made this the right choice :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
The price increase is twofold, BMW getting the extra £500 from the reduction in the plug in car grant & they are now making Apple CarPlay (£235) part of the standard equipment :)

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
29,712 Posts
Well, that's gonna boost sales!

I have usually argued that the sluggish mainstream weren't trying to hold back EVs ... with VW too ... meh ? I'm not gonna stand by that argument any more ...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts