Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The launch of a new £11m fund is designed to accelerate the arrival of hydrogen cars on UK roads by financing public sector fleet purchases and rolling out a refuelling network.

Business Minister Matthew Hancock today announced that about £2m will be provided for public sector fleets to encourage deployment of around 40 hydrogen fuel cell electric vehicles (FCEVs) in geographic clusters, with the rest channelled towards establishing a network of up to 15 refuelling stations by the end of next year.

Around £2m has been earmarked to upgrade six to eight existing hydrogen refuelling stations into publicly accessible sites, and £3.5m matched by industry for between four to seven new stations, both stand-alone sites and pumps incorporated into petrol station forecourts.

Full story on "Business Green": http://www.businessgreen.com/bg/news/2374770/uk-invests-gbp11m-to-get-hydrogen-cars-on-the-road

·
Registered
964 Posts
Around £2m has been earmarked to upgrade six to eight existing hydrogen refuelling stations into publicly accessible sites, and £3.5m matched by industry for between four to seven new stations, both stand-alone sites and pumps incorporated into petrol station forecourts.

So 5.5 million for maximum 15 stations and some where they already own the sites!
That same funding would have built a national network of 110 rapid chargers at 50K a piece and I think Ecotricity recently said they were averaging 40K per install all in so add another 20% to make 132 or you have enough spare cash to feed them maintenance, back office, comms and power for the foreseeable future too.

"£3.5m matched by industry" Aha, they forgot to insert the word oil before industry.
Who wants to go fuel an electric vehicle in a petrol station forecourt then?

It is time we encouraged the uptake of EVs like this. Somebody suitable and useful needs to be put in charge of the charge to charge to charge if you see what I mean;).

·
Registered
916 Posts
The launch of a new £11m fund is designed to accelerate the arrival of hydrogen cars on UK roads by financing public sector fleet purchases and rolling out a refuelling network.

Business Minister Matthew Hancock today announced that about £2m will be provided for public sector fleets to encourage deployment of around 40 hydrogen fuel cell electric vehicles (FCEVs) in geographic clusters, with the rest channelled towards establishing a network of up to 15 refuelling stations by the end of next year.

Full story on "Business Green": http://www.businessgreen.com/bg/news/2374770/uk-invests-gbp11m-to-get-hydrogen-cars-on-the-road
Where IS this "Hydrogen Highway",anyway...?

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
It doesn't take genius to work out Hydrogen cars do not make sense!!!! The future of transportation is clearly BEV.

PHEV and REX also will play a huge role in transitioning from fossil fuels to BEV's for the next 20 years.

It will be common place in 20 years with BEVs at 250-500 mile range. Which you can fill up from your HOME!!! Even better you can fill your car up with the power of the sun.

This is one point that hydrogen cars will never compete with a BEV.

Such a shame that the Government cant also see this and instead invest this £11M into the electric highway.

There's only one thing I can think of the reason why the Government is wanting Hydrogen to succeed, and that because it will be a taxable fuel.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Hydrogen already is a taxable fuel, 20% vat. I think it is a way of keeping in with the oil companies and car manufacturers though. I also note it's public money going to government bodies so the masses are unlikely to see any benefit from this 'investment'.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
You will see shell and BP and all the other petrol company's put in Hydrogen pumps, they will invest in what every keeps you coming to the pump, this could kill the electric car. People don't care about charging at home and all the benefits, they see 3min fill up £60 on there way 350 miles and fill up again

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
You will see shell and BP and all the other petrol company's put in Hydrogen pumps, they will invest in what every keeps you coming to the pump, this could kill the electric car. People don't care about charging at home and all the benefits, they see 3min fill up £60 on there way 350 miles and fill up again
I agree on the oil companies will be investing heavily into hydrogen.

What I don't understand is why aren't the big 6 utility companies investing into a rapid charge network and following Ecotricity's lead.

I can't see a problem with people filling up their EV at home if you explained how cheap it is. The problem is people are oblivious that EVs exist, let alone how cheap they are to run.

Unfortunately some people do not have off road parking which will definitely hinder people from purchasing EVs. Untill manufacturers release affordable EVs with a genuine 300+ range with 100+ kWh charge rates at nationwide stations. Obviously this will take time, but they will get there.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I agree on the oil companies will be investing heavily into hydrogen.

What I don't understand is why aren't the big 6 utility companies investing into a rapid charge network and following Ecotricity's lead.

I can't see a problem with people filling up their EV at home if you explained how cheap it is. The problem is people are oblivious that EVs exist, let alone how cheap they are to run.

Unfortunately some people do not have off road parking which will definitely hinder people from purchasing EVs. Untill manufacturers release affordable EVs with a genuine 300+ range with 100+ kWh charge rates at nationwide stations. Obviously this will take time, but they will get there.
Yer in 5/6 years maybe but how long will it take the petrol company's to put just 1 pump in at there station.

·
Registered
7,249 Posts
This is precisely what I have been saying for ages now... people will not switch to the electric car until there is a way to "fill" in minutes almost anywhere and then drive for hundreds of miles.

One of the reasons LPG didn't take off was the fact that it was difficult to find a garage that sold LPG. I know there were other issues with LPG but that certainly was one of the big ones.

If the government does not stand up to the oil companies here and take the right decisions then I agree... it could be the end of electric cars becoming the main low-carbon transport.

How do we fight this? I am not sure that we can have much effect given the small number of EV drivers that exist right now. Squashing EVs would be relatively easy if they pitched the H2 car as quick to fill, with a range of many hundreds of miles (I have seen 600 touted) and supported by government.

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Remind me what is wrong with H2 (other than safety)? I have seen figures of 2.3kWh to generate 1kg, which will give around 70 miles of range with a current gen FCV. H2 can be generated cleanly apparently. Seems pretty compelling?

·
Registered
7,249 Posts
H2 can be generated cleanly
It can be but ignoring the technical issues of safety and the issues surrounding storage and transport (high pressures/cold temps needed) the problem fundamentally is one of efficiency IMO.

Take a look at the chart below... it clearly shows that using energy (primarily in the form of electricity) to create H2 is a hugely wasteful process when it makes a lot more sense to just use the same electricity to charge EVs... no fuel transport costs, issues with safety, issues with transportation, issues with storage and 40% or so more energy delivered to the end user.

In this world where resources are becoming more and more limited so we should be looking for ways to be more efficient and using H2 to power cars is just plain wasteful.

It just makes no sense.

Interesting explanation at http://phys.org/news85074285.html

HydrogenChart.jpg

1 - 20 of 60 Posts