Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 208 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My UK Model 3 Delivery Estimate now stated just "2019" no longer "Early 2019". Does anyone say anything different?

(I placed my order on 31 March 2016)

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Model 3

Second half of 2019 - was expecting first half of 2020 but if the expensive M3 sales rush is starting to dry in the States they have a good incentive to reach out for those of us shaking fistfuls of cash at them!

ps Jason from EE traded up after being disappointed by his M3 mid-range...

·
9,719 Posts
You've not got an order yet ;) just a place in a line.

I expect both depositors and otherwise to be allowed to configure by Easter with deliveries in Aug/Sept. People taking halo configured performance models will probably get theirs July as I recon they'll already be on a container ship when the UK order book opens.

I would not expect the "cheap" one anytime soon, and if cable swings much more no model is going to be that cheap priced in GBP.

·
Well-Loved Member
964 Posts
Staffing changes, price hike and so on suggest reorg and/or that PwC have been unwilling to simply rubber stamp the company as a going concern. The debts and lawsuits, monumental liabilities such as warranty, and the fact Musk is out to lunch, suggest we could see a new, smaller structure and shift of focus to high end products - with a correspondingly premium level of build quality and aftersales service that premium buyers expect - as the most realistic option for long term profitability.

In summary, I don't expect a mass market affordable Tesla ever.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Staffing changes, price hike and so on suggest reorg and/or that PwC have been unwilling to simply rubber stamp the company as a going concern. The debts and lawsuits, monumental liabilities such as warranty, and the fact Musk is out to lunch, suggest we could see a new, smaller structure and shift of focus to high end products - with a correspondingly premium level of build quality and aftersales service that premium buyers expect - as the most realistic option for long term profitability.

In summary, I don't expect a mass market affordable Tesla ever.
Nice to see you’re in typical bullish mood ;)

·
9,719 Posts
Nice to see you’re in typical bullish mood ;)
I mean Larry Ellison (new appointee to the board) isn't known for screwing the customer and employee in search of profit - oh wait, I worked for him thats exactly what he is known for. :p

·
Registered
160 Posts
My UK Model 3 Delivery Estimate now stated just "2019" no longer "Early 2019". Does anyone say anything different?

(I placed my order on 31 March 2016)
I see the same. They are probably working on more accurate estimates.

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
I'm bullish for high end niche. High volume mainstream is hard.
No one else is shooting for it with any tangible product at this time!

We still have a slew of coming in 2020 to arrive and no idea what pricing and of course VW looking to take over the world with its ID derivatives which will have 60kW+ packs and wil cost 30k etc. Etc.

Kona and Niro are not mainstream, they are niche products, not volume, iPace same, Audi more expensive than Tesla and not reassuring failing type approval on the 1st go for software. Mercedes and BMW again pricing questions and volumes.

No idea if Tesla will get it right in the end for a lower cost mainstream product, but as it stands they are the only company who have a chance of doing it well, outside of Nissan who for me have dropped the ball several times in the process, going from a leading position to catch up in a moment.

Tesla will not fail in EVs due to lack of aspiration then rest of them I am not so sure..

·
Well-Loved Member
964 Posts
Kona and Niro are not mainstream, they are niche products, not volume
I can see this will be an argument of semantics. Mainstream is most obvious in the difference between a Lexus and the Toyota version that underpins it.

The Kona and Niro are hardly niche cars. Hyundai is the embodiment of a mainstream manufacturer. Drivetrain choice in this sort of vehicle is far more likely to drive mass market adoption today than individual premium models with pretensions to be affordable at some point in the future, possibly never.

Drivetrain choice or "electrification" is the philosophy of other mainstream brands (i.e. single platform with mild petrol/diesel hybrid, plug-in petrol/diesel hybrid, or full electric underpinnings), and in a market where most buyers are still clamouring for petrol/diesel, it's the most obvious step if you are running a successful business selling those things by the million. Simple fact is, Tesla today does not cater to most buyers.

No idea if Tesla will get it right in the end for a lower cost mainstream product, but as it stands they are the only company who have a chance of doing it well, outside of Nissan who for me have dropped the ball several times in the process, going from a leading position to catch up in a moment.
The Leaf and Zoe are Europe's best selling EVs. You might be right to describe Nissan as having dropped the ball, but to claim no manufacturer other than Tesla is targeting the mainstream is plainly false. As with the introduction of diesel, adoption is simply a matter of time, not a competition won by being first to market.

As for the claim that Tesla are the only company with a chance of doing it well, I'd need to know what you mean by "it" and see some evidence. Most evidence I've seen, particularly the recent reports on lack of sustainable demand, points to the contrary.

·
Registered
11,017 Posts
If the US market is an indicator, there's not really a market for EVs yet, but there is a market for Teslas.

We'll have to see the impact of the M3 in Europe later this year. Popcorn at the ready.

·
Registered
76 Posts
They were saying on Radio 5 the other day on wake up to money, uk price will be around £59,000 for the model 3...that is disappointing, guess will be a fair while to see the £35 models

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Going by French pricing, where MS100D is 106,200euro vs UK price of £88,800, I'd expect M3LRawd to be ~£45k and M3P to be ~£54k

Before options of course (so ~£57.5k for the Performance model before the £3500 EV subsidy)

·
Well-Loved Member
964 Posts
Going by French pricing, where MS100D is 106,200euro vs UK price of £88,800, I'd expect M3LRawd to be ~£45k and M3P to be ~£54k

Before options of course (so ~£57.5k for the Performance model before the £3500 EV subsidy)
The Model 3 already has French pricing of €59,500 before subsidy.

https://3.tesla.com/fr_FR/model3/design

Germany is €58K, Netherlands €60K. Expect entry level pricing here to be........

·
Registered
11,017 Posts
Is it going to be even more annoying when it outsells every other EV, despite being twice as expensive? :)

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
The Kona and Niro are hardly niche cars. Hyundai is the embodiment of a mainstream manufacturer. Drivetrain choice in this sort of vehicle is far more likely to drive mass market adoption today than individual premium models with pretensions to be affordable at some point in the future, possibly never.
This is actually my point, if you are only committing to make 30,000 of them a year globally, then they are simply not mainstream products. At those volumes mass market adoption is a pipe dream, while Hyundai is indeed a big player that is not the issue.

Pretentions: actually making cars and selling them at volume with a higher price today with a desire to get to a lower price point at some point in the future VS Choosing to sell them at a lower price point but never bothering to make any decent volume.

Which is worse in driving meaningful change?

Come back to my earlier point is that Tesla will not fail for their lack of aspiration. Since you mentioned the Zoe, they don't sell them in the US at all, or have I got that wrong? Choosing to focus on a single market or segment is self limiting. Said it in other threads previously the Chinese manufacturers will likely be the ones to watch in this, once they sort out tariffs, safety & design IP and all that other stuff, not Tesla or Renault or indeed Nissan even though they are partnering in China.

·
9,719 Posts
Since you mentioned the Zoe, they don't sell them in the US at all, or have I got that wrong?
Renault as the purveyor of small city vehicles for the European market pulled out USA about the time the truck obsession began.

Said it in other threads previously the Chinese manufacturers will likely be the ones to watch in this
If/when Tesla create the joint venture for Singapore Gigafactory it will be but weeks before that IP is out in the wild. Having read some analysis about Panasonic I would not be bullish on the fact Tesla has something special over and above what Pana supply anyway.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Just found this on Twitter, showing leasing/finance for the Model 3 in France. £3,500 deposit over 60 months results in £576 monthly payments, over 60 months however. I can't decipher whether this is a lease, PCP or HP. Prices are also a direct conversion.

I want to lean towards HP as the lengthy 60 month term tends to lend itself to HP. The twitter thread isn't indicative of vehicle spec, but the first batch of European cars are either LR Perfomance or LR AWD (I think).

**EDIT** - I have just gone to Tesla's Belgian website, which is where the screenshot is taken from, and it seems to be a PCP, as it says at the end of the agreement, you can either return the car or buy it.

1 - 20 of 208 Posts