Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 300 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Widely reported that the UK goverment will ban sale of new Petrol, diesel and hybrid cars from 2035.

Wake up Toyota. Your "self charging" hybrids have a sell by date.

·
Registered
Nissan Leaf 24 Tekna '64 reg
1,396 Posts
Nice. Hope this target becomes reality.

But whether car industry can meet this target is another issue. I'm sure they'll be screaming and kicking against change until their bitter end.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
17,787 Posts
Are there any details to this? I’m assuming some sort of plug-in hybrid would be allowed as a fudge to the industry?

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 Worst Edition
4,301 Posts
It’s 15 years and at least 2 x General Elections away yet, so not holding my breath unfortunately.

I suspect it’s just more fairy dust sprinkled onto the sunlit uplands.

If we really want to become more like Norway in terms of electric vehicle uptake, then we’d better see some more concrete action for the here and now.

Difficult to do when you don’t have a £1Tn sovereign wealth fund or an oil operation to pay for it.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Plug in hybrids are also included in the ban. Might mean the death of caravanning with any luck too :D
I think it’s just new sales. Assume 2nd hand ice will be allowed to die a slow death, super high VED and very very high taxed petrol and diesel. Probably twice the price of now inflation adjusted so running a second hand ice vs a second hand ev is uneconomical.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Increase in market share of BEV by 6% yearly, if they are realistic they need to put in at least 5 year targets, BEV 30% by 2025.

·
Registered
2017 Golf GTE
2,134 Posts
True enough. But it's the first step to a ban.
I think that there will be very few ICEs available to buy in 2035 since a number of countries have banned their sale from 2030.
If anyone actually follows through on their promises, of course!

·
Registered
ONTO car hire referral code - a6b57
101 Posts
I think the govt has been told that if they stick to 2040 and also allow PHEV sales after that date, then there'll still be far too many ICE cars around in 2050 when we're meant to be at net-zero carbon emissions. This proposal is a small glimmer of light. Let's hope it becomes official, binding policy. ?

·
Registered
952 Posts
With a ban on petrol and hybrid cars and vans, there will be a rapid fall in the sale of petrol, assuming the transition in sales happens in a linear fashion in 7.5 years half of the new cars sold should be EV's. If the average car has a life of 12 years, that means 8.3% of the cars on the road are replaced every year, doing some rough and ready sums it looks like roughly 2/3 of cars should be EV's by the end of 2030 and most of the rest of the petrol cars should be gone by 2042, you could argue that they will be gone earlier, who would want to the be last one with a petrol car when you can't buy petrol and the value is dropping like a stone. I bet there will be some interesting board meetings today in petrol selling businesses.

·
Registered
635 Posts
With a ban on petrol and hybrid cars and vans, there will be a rapid fall in the sale of petrol, who would want to the be last one with a petrol car when you can't buy petrol and the value is dropping like a stone.
And All all us early arrogant early EVers will become EV holes parking in front of the towns only petrol pump and wandering off.

·
Registered
2018 e-Golf
740 Posts
With a ban on petrol and hybrid cars and vans, there will be a rapid fall in the sale of petrol, assuming the transition in sales happens in a linear fashion in 7.5 years half of the new cars sold should be EV's. If the average car has a life of 12 years, that means 8.3% of the cars on the road are replaced every year, doing some rough and ready sums it looks like roughly 2/3 of cars should be EV's by the end of 2030 and most of the rest of the petrol cars should be gone by 2042, you could argue that they will be gone earlier, who would want to the be last one with a petrol car when you can't buy petrol and the value is dropping like a stone. I bet there will be some interesting board meetings today in petrol selling businesses.
Why do you think there will be a rapid fall leading up to the Ban? The synic in me thinks that sales will be strong up until deadline day....when car manufacturers will have stockpiled a load of "second hand" ICE vehicles.

Reactions: ringi
1 - 20 of 300 Posts