Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i read with huge interest UK Govt’s bold step to set a ‘net zero’ emissions target for just 20 years ahead. See: UK commits to 'net zero' emissions by 2050

This would make UK the first of the world’s major economies to make such a demanding pledge!

However, in the current political and economic climate we are in danger of over-reaching ourselves? Sure we are doing well with renewables and i’m Impressed to find that we have the largest offshore wind farm - in the world! Of course it’s not UK funded - it the Danes that are delivering that technology!

What concerns we (bearing in mind the shambles of EV Infrastructure) - that we don’t appear to have much in the way of enabling strategies, polices and budgets. Apart from cars, buses, trains and aeroplanes - there will be a need to de-carbonise our homes? If we are to phase out millions of gas and oil heating systems - who is going to pay? Do we even have a mastery of the technology. I live in an apartment and my gas boiler is ageing - but whilst I would be keen to install an air-sourced heat pump - there seems no way to mount the current huge apparatus.

Across the board we need to invent a whole range of products that are cost-effective, readily available and legions of workers to convert literally millions of components of our infrastructure? In my 6 years with an EV precious little as changed- a few more cars/ bigger batteries - but the infrastructure is fundamentally flawed! On that basis, the UK will fail to make its target by a huge margin!

They have not learned, from Brexit - don’t promise what you can’t deliver!

·
Registered
9,182 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Forgive me if I missed your irony but I think you'll find it's 30 years ahead. Plenty of time for all current politicians in power to die off. Also as Caroline Lucas has pointed out there is a provision to give up after fiver years if it it turns out no--one else is following our example.

Theresa May’s net-zero emissions target is a lot less impressive than it looks | Caroline Lucas

Theresa May had one chance to achieve something and has blown it yet again.
Oh my goodness - a Guardian reader! A fan of the nations best known ‘angry woman’ - Caroline Lucas! Surely an acquired taste, for any car lover!

·
Registered
143 Posts
I'm glad that TM has made this pledge, it is to be welcomed but really it amounts to her spending her whole time doing nothing to fight climate change and then at the last minute signing up future PMs to deal with it for her. But, at least, this will shift the debate. The next PM will presumably debate whether or not they can bring this forward to 2040.

Still, it's so easy to promise something by 2050 when you'll be gone from politics by then - maybe even gone from this Earth. It would be good for the next PM to promise a 20% cut within five years, something that they can be judged on. Although Boris Johnson, who has a history of writing climate change denial articles in the Telegraph (look them up, some of them are not paywall, and they are scary), is clearly not the right person to deal with it.

More important than zero by 2050 is how much % we cut by 2025, 2030, 2040.

The solution in my opinion is to encourage the low carbon choices by making them easy and cheap. In the case of heating for example, you would need to put a large green tax on gas, you then take some of that money and return it to low earners in an income tax cut for low earners and a boost to some benefits (so that low earners are not out of pocket overall) and then you take the other part of the tax and you use it to put subsidies on heat pumps and insulation and triple glazed windows or whatever else so that instead of having a 10 year payback period all of them have say an attractive 4 year payback period.

Green taxes with tax cuts for low earners and subsidies on low carbon options. I'm becoming more and more convinced that it's basically a choice between that or 3-5C catastrophic climate change.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Well...
If the government wants to meet that ludicrous target they should start by replacing the humongous cars they use with EV's.
Nothing more than hypocrisy...

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
All it is is Theresa May trying desperately to salvage her record of achievement which currently stands at precisely zero (assuming it cannot be negative). It means nothing otherwise..
I would dare to say that is just a distraction from Brexit.
Keep them busy with everything else and leave Brexit to the 30th Oct :)

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
1,575 Posts

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
It's a shame the online petition form doesn't give nearly enough space to go into any kind of detail about the subject of the petition.

In other words, this is an example where the petitioner probably knows all about the matter, so does his initial small group of readers, but a wider audience will have nothing much to go on to encourage them to support it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts