Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Soul EV & Tesla Model S
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just checked tesla website and now it shows 1 new and 3 more coming soon. Looks like a line across Southern England. Anyone take a guess where these may be?

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
one near dover, one looks to be on the M4 about midway so somewhere around A34/M4 junction and one in bristol area

·
Soul EV & Tesla Model S
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes around Northampton would be good for me. I also noticed one that looks near Edinburgh. This would be great for me as I have friends in Aberdeen exactly 100 miles from the forth rd bridge. 100 up 100 down should be a breeze and then on down to home in Notts

·
Registered
622 Posts
The ones at South Mimms are still in exactly the same condition as a month or two ago. White plastic sheets over with just wires and two posts inside...

·
Soul EV & Tesla Model S
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
From what Elon said I'm beginning to doubt South Mimms as a supercharger. There aren't enough bays or space. Every other location seems to have lots of bays. I think South Mimms would be packed and most likely ice'd unless well protected.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Perhaps, although I am fairly sure that they were intended as Superchargers at least... There is an uncanny resemblance to the spacing between the posts, No other Rapid Charger that I have seen has this make up.

·
Registered
622 Posts
With the dispute going on, Maybe they have scrapped that location and will get them changed to standard RCs

·
Soul EV & Tesla Model S
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Perhaps, although I am fairly sure that they were intended as Superchargers at least... There is an uncanny resemblance to the spacing between the posts, No other Rapid Charger that I have seen has this make up.
Yes the layout is definitely Tesla. Maybe shelved!

·
Soul EV & Tesla Model S
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The teslamotorclub forum has pictures supposedly taken from uk launch. They don't show South Mimms so I think it's not happening. Does show Edinburgh and in future Norwich, Aberdeen, Warrington.

·
Super Moderator
7,717 Posts
So many likes, I can't wait to dump the Leaf and get myself a used S or a 3 :D

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
It would be amazing if that map was reality in 2016. Find it amazing that a start up company that no one heard of 5 years ago can have plans like this. When the automotive giants of VW and BMW are taking forever to implement CCS in Europe.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Personally I'm not that fussed, as I doubt' I'll ever use one.

Not sure on the exact figure, but over in the States (where let's not forget things are much further apart) something like 92% of miles are driven NOT using superchargers.

For day to day stuff, overnight home charging is far more convenient, and I've got better things to do with my life than trudge hundreds of miles in a car.

For me the only reason* to drive > 200 miles in a day, would be a business meeting. In that case I'd take an ICE, just to take the worry out of the Supercharger being queued up / broken, as well as the inevitable detour into a city centre during rush hour, and ending up being late..

In all honesty it's far more likely I'd go by train, especially as London is probably the most likely venue for such a meeting. It's quicker, less stressful, you don't have to worry about parking, it's more environmentally friendly, plus you can do some work enroute.

I sure some S owners will make good use of them, and at the moment with so few cars per Supercharger, they are probably great. When the 3 comes out and Supercharger rage starts I'm not so sure.

* Disclaimer I did drive to Monaco via the Alps this year, but I wouldn't have taken the Tesla even if there had been a supercharger on every street corner ;)

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
I think supercharging will be an add on for the model 3 in the same was CCS is on the i3, those that need it will pay for it.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
I think supercharging will be an add on for the model 3 in the same was CCS is on the i3, those that need it will pay for it.
Or it may follow the Model S approach I.e. standard on the higher spec versions and optional on the lower spec versions (as per the S60).

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
At what price threshold would you make the move? If it's under £35k then you'll probably be waiting at least 4 years (by the time the Model 3 comes to the UK or used Model S prices come down to that level assuming you will want at least an S85).

So many likes, I can't wait to dump the Leaf and get myself a used S or a 3 :D

1 - 20 of 42 Posts