Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is good news. While the Tesla Model S can hardly be called an "affordable" or "budget" car, when you consider running costs and just downright coolness, the UK pricing of the Tesla Model S is pretty incredible, and I'll imagine a lot cheaper than many thought they'd manage.

Prices start at £49,900 for the base 60 kWh model and the 85 kWh performance model will start at £68,700 when they go on sale in March of 2014.

These prices all include the £5,000 UK government rebate.

Full details over at Inside EVs: http://insideevs.com/tesla-motors-r...-new-order-deliveries-scheduled-for-may-2014/

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Starting to get more realistic for your average person.
Its still pretty pricey but its new tech and new tech always is however if you say well its twice the price of a top specLeaf but is it more than twice the car? I think you would have to say yes on that one.

I think the I3 really is the best option sitting in between the Leaf and the Model S, the Model S for me would have to have all the gadgets which puts the price up a fair bit.

Its looking like the model S and the I3 will start to hit the roads in the UK at the same time, dealer quoted me for a May delivery for an I3 if I order one now, I am sure if I order a model S now it may be later than May though.

The amazing thing is that the electric car is about to happen big time, folks are seeing sense in it and once test driven for ever smitten! hey you can use that BMW its free, "The BMW I3...once driven...for ever smitten.."

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think the "average" worker these days finances/leases their car, not sure what price a Tesla would come in at, but I think it's "getting there", it certainly reckon it will appeal to a great deal of senior execs when new co. car time comes around.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
I think if you order one you have to accept you are not only paying a premium but a huge early adopters tax, No logical argument can be provided for buying one. I am still amazed that people ask me to justify an EV with ROI calculations. People buy cars on gut instinct, most have made the decision long before they walk in the dealership. Yes the model S is expensive, no it cannot be justified easily but did not stop me placing an order :)

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Yes the ROI point is something that bugs me about solar too, I didnt get solar to make money I got it so I can power my car and my house without polluting the planet, everyone bangs on about ROI and its the same with the car, why cant you buy and electric car because they are cool? its not always about saving money for everyone.

The Model S is a premium car for the premium car market, nothing wrong with that and its great to take sales away from V8 and V10 engine based cars that waste and pollute, I really hope the model S becomes the defacto standard car for the UK businessman, it says a lot about a company I think if they go EV.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Same for me, Solar was a personal thing, every KW/H I generate is one less that I draw from coal/gas/nuclear power. However people still ask me when will it pay for itself.

Its a shame the UK government did not take the chance today when they announced the end of paper tax discs to just move the road fund license duty to fuel, that way it would really be pay as you go. I think that would have done more for EV adoption than anything they have done to date.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Its a shame the UK government did not take the chance today to just move the road fund license duty to fuel, that way it would really be pay as you go. I think that would have done more for EV adoption than anything they have done to date.
Here, here. It saves on administration, it bring income from all foreign vehicles as well and it charge everyone fairly based on the number of miles they do.

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,545 Posts
quote="knoxie, post: 667, member: 48"]I"The BMW I3...once driven...for ever smitten.."[/quote]
I think you will find the the strapline 'Once bitten forever smitten' was used by Vauxhall in the 90's.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts