Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Co-author of CanZE. Q210 nov 2013
4,115 Posts
Yes, because they go on long trip vacations all the time. Some people (and not just treehuggers) see the journey as part of their vacation and take it easy.

Anyway: Spoke to a Leaf driver just last Saturday on a parking spot along the highway in Denmark. He was returning home from a 2600 km trip to France. He told me he had done all charging for almost free. Mostly Lidl (free) and here and there using a silly cheap (5 ct / kWh for rapids) Maingau card.

And because I can't help myself: pretty good reason why some people do long trips in EV's. ICE trip: cash out 260 euro's. Yeah I know ;)

Edit: Heee, King Ming beat me to it.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Agreed - I was just referencing the amount of planning required!

·
Play by the king and love is all I bring
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Oh definitely, the planning is massive. Believe it or not, that is actually my eighth revision of my proposed route and I don't doubt that it will change again!

I need to Google Maingau card again. Pretty sure @yoh-there already told me about that card, some time ago. I seem to remember I tried to get it, then gave up. Will try again....

·
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
@yoh-there - i've now successfully signed up, but how do you order the RFID card? The website says you can buy it in the webshop - fine - but I can't seem to find it there. :(

·
4,115 Posts
Call them. I don't have the card myself, but I have seen several posts on the Dutch forum they are extremely helpful and bending their online system to help you out.

·
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Call them. I don't have the card myself, but I have seen several posts on the Dutch forum they are extremely helpful and bending their online system to help you out.
Will do. By the way, why is the RFID card beneficial over the app, do you know?

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Apart from when you have no signal or the server is playing up not sure - The UK chargers poll the members list every 15 minutes so can still be accessed offline - I wish I had an RFID card when I went to Scotland that's for sure!

·
4,115 Posts
Offline usage, forget about that here.

I can't promise this is 100% right but the RFIDs basically always work; app is limited. I guess it depends if the charge network provider supports "calls from home". On plugsurfing you often see "does not support app".

·
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
German efficiency

·
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Today’s the day!

In case it’s of interest to anyone, I plan to post updates here:
Twitter

·
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Sorry for not updating, been hectic since we got back.

Pointers for anybody interested in doing a similar journey, in no particular order and as they enter my head / looking at my Twitter thread:

Flunch is the name of a chain restaurant in France. It's unusual to find ANYTHING cheap in France, but this restaurant is. It reminds me of an IKEA restaurant, but better quality. Mussels, all you can eat, for €7.95. They also sell other food, besides mussels. Flunch restaurants seem to often be at Auchan retails parks, where there are also free 43kW chargers.

The French KiWhi card rarely worked. Just got it to work at one Intermarche.

Clem' charging points in the Charleville-Mézières area of Northern France have a design flaw - they have resistive touch screens that are not rainproof. Four charging points I tried were not working, due to torrential rain causing the screens to be unresponsive. A 40 minutes phone call to their support line, at 2 AM, finally resulted with my understanding that they are unable to remotely start a charge. That wasn't a fun first night.

Belgian charging points - Newmotion card worked. I forget the name of the network who owned the charging point.

Lidl free charging in France, Luxembourg, Belgium, Switzerland... all good and working. Some are 22kW though, even though the charging points themselves look identical to the 43kW ones.

Kaufland in Germany - plenty of free 43kW charging.

Switzerland is beautiful, even without snow.

Liechtenstein - that place is beautiful, too. Drinking with wealth. Charging points there accept Maingau. Possibly Newmotion, too, but I used Maingau.

Switzerland sells cannabis iced tea in vending machines.

Italy - Bergamo has free to use 22kW charging. You need to use their own network's RFID card. BUT - they are very thoughtful. They put two RFID fobs next to each charging point, obtainable with €1 (like getting a supermarket shopping trolley), available for those who don't have their own RFID card - perfect for visitors, like me. Little bit of ICEing / EV overstaying in Bergamo. For me it was third charging point lucky, there.

Italy - Verona - free to use 22kW charging, too. Need to download their app to start the charge.

Italy - Venice - Enel is the only network (I believe Enel is nationwide in Italy). Reasonably priced charging. Download the app "JuicePass" (not called Enel, despite this being their actual name).

Slovenia - what a gorgeous country. Free 43kW charging at "Petrol" (that's the name) fuel stations. Tip: either set Google Maps to avoid the tolls or buy a €10 vignette to use them, I think that's valid for 7 days, or maybe thirty days. Do check, if you're going to drive in Slovenia.

Croatia - I didn't charge there at all, apart from grannying it up at the campsite.

On the way back, met a guy in Slovenia with Chinese number plates. I approached him and we had a little chat. He's driven from Shenzhen, to Europe, via Russia. Not an EV, obvs. But what a road trip!

Austria, lovely place, very picturesque, much like Slovenia. Free Lidl 43kW charging. Similar to Slovenia with toll roads. Either avoid or pay €15 for an Austrian vignette.

To be honest, usually I avoid toll roads but in Austria and Slovenia to use them would save me several hours, compared with the non-tolls, so I coughed up and bought the vignettes. Still in Zoe's windscreen now, nice little souvenirs.

Austria - the charge for the tunnel as well, can't remember where, but it's not cheap. Between Slovenia and Austria I spent about €50 on road use. :(

Austria - Salzburg - don't stay in the old town with a car after 11am - the bollards go up and you have to pay €100 to the police to get out. I didn't, I met a nice local who called his friend to let me out with her fob, but I got lucky.

Austria - Salzburg - charging is easy but Maingau charge an eye-watering 60c per kWh to charge at the rapids.

Germany - Munich - BMW Welt - free 43kW.

Germany - Stuttgart - Mercedes museum - loads of free 22kW points in their car park, but all gave me "check charging post" - i tried about six. Poor earthing, I reckon.

Germany - Stuttgart - Porche museum - free 11kW right outside.

Germany - Cologne - free charging in car park in city centre, but parking is dear.

Netherlands - Maastricht - Newmotion worked but I don't know how much it's going to end up charging me! Same true at the hospital in Ghent, Belgium.

France - Calais - Channel Outlet Store car park has EV charging point spaces but no actually EV charging units.

Must have cards / apps: Maingau, Newmotion, Enel (JuicePass), ChargeMap, NEXTCHARGE. Other apps can be downloaded on the fly / location specific.

All in all, far easier than I anticipated and I completely over planned everything. Whoever says EVs are not suitable for long distance driving is completely wrong. On average we drove for two hours, stopped to charge and continued on. During charging, we always did something like shopping, site seeing, toilets or whatever. At no point were we sitting bored in the car.

Austria / Slovenia aside, I avoided tolls (and sometimes motorways) the whole journey. Much prefer this. Love seeing the towns and villages, you see so much that you'd otherwise miss.

·
4,115 Posts
Great trip!!

(Belgium French speaking part probably was Ze-MO. One was once my savior [Nismes/Viroinval], while another almost stranded me [Mettet, BCI])

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
23,016 Posts
Well hello, friends!

We’ve decided to drive to Croatia at the end of August. Camping. With two children. Never before have we been camping so why not do it in Croatia and go there in Zoe. I mean, what could possibly go wrong…?

I’ll take my tongue back out of my cheek to ask: Has anybody got any pointers for charging in the following countries:

France, Belgium, Germany, Austria, Italy, Slovenia and Croatia?

Possibly won’t need to charge in Slovenia as it’s only a short nip through there between Italy and Croatia.

I currently have the following cards:

Genie point,
Newmotion,
Source London,
ESB Ireland,
KiWhi pass,
CYC,
Plug surfing,
Alfa.

I’ve downloaded the JuicePass app for access to the Enel points in Italy.

I’ve taken Zoe to France before, so not too concerned there.

I guess the unknown for me really is Belgium, Germany, Austria and Croatia.

I’m going to keep researching but in the meantime, any pointers welcome. Thanks!
There's having a sense of adventure ... and then there's just being nuts, of course!

Good luck on your next round the world trip! (y)

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
23,016 Posts

·
evezy referral code d6540
801 Posts
So how many miles did you do in total and did you tot up the “fuel” costs for the trip?

·
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Why not an EV?

Excellent!

of course, when I met yer man from China in Slovenia, the first thing I did was check out charging points in Russia.... seems not doable, unless I’m using the wrong apps... hopefully I’m wrong. I’d ultimately love to drive Zoe to Singapore. China to SG would be easy. It’s just Russia that concerns me. It’s just too massive.

·
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
So how many miles did you do in total and did you tot up the “fuel” costs for the trip?
4,697km total (2919 miles).
758kWh consumed.

Enel / NewMotion / Maingau total costs.... €43

·
801 Posts
4,697km total (2919 miles).
758kWh consumed.

Enel / NewMotion / Maingau total costs.... €43
1.3p per mile! Not bad.
3.85 mpkWh. Not bad either. Laden car, mountains and motorways I’m guessing.

·
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
1.3p per mile! Not bad.
3.85 mpkWh. Not bad either. Laden car, mountains and motorways I’m guessing.
Yes, I’m quite pleased. Most charging was done for free though, so that skew the figures a bit I guess.

·
801 Posts
Yes, I’m quite pleased. Most charging was done for free though, so that skew the figures a bit I guess.
Yes but those were free posts for everyone. No one was doing you a favour. What you did could be done by anyone. So the figures stand. I reckon you must have saved over £400 by not using an ICE. That must have helped pay for the ferry!

21 - 40 of 41 Posts
About this Discussion
40 Replies
12 Participants
King Ming
Speak EV - Electric Car Forums
A community for enthusiasts of all makes and models of EV from BMW to Tesla, Renault, Nissan, Mitsubishi and more. Join the electrifying discussion today!
Full Forum Listing