Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Didn't Fully Charged have a video about a 100% electric alternative to this silly hydrogen hack?

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
I dont want to know how long or complex the BMS for a BEV train would be. In addition the time / amperage to charge the BEV train would be daunting.
Designwise it wouldn't be so bad. Carriages often carry sufficient weight to ensure the wheels dont lift off the tracks. This would be battery weight.

But charging infrastructure would be PITA

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
I dont want to know how long or complex the BMS for a BEV train would be. In addition the time / amperage to charge the BEV train would be daunting.
Designwise it wouldn't be so bad. Carriages often carry sufficient weight to ensure the wheels dont lift off the tracks. This would be battery weight.

Couldn't they pull power from overhead wires, on electrified sections? These supply ~MW power to trains all day long... One of the main costs of electrification is in dealing with tunnels, bridges, etc. If you have a BEV train that can pull power from standard overhead wiring, surely you can "electrify" a line and simply miss out the difficult/expensive bits, where the battery can fill in.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Don't be daft. Can you see Gov paying for anything as bonkers as that!
My local none electric line goes into a main station that has overhead power on all platforms, and the trains have at least 20 minutes on the platform. (Also most of the cost of converting a line is short section that are hard to do.)

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
23,026 Posts
My local none electric line goes into a main station that has overhead power on all platforms, and the trains have at least 20 minutes on the platform. (Also most of the cost of converting a line is short section that are hard to do.)
Who put those there, and how would anyone plug in without a big ladder?

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Why not a 25kv AC overhead connection to charge from?
2/3 electrified track using 25kVA and that's that. The FCEV / hybrid train is for the non electrified areas of the country.

If HS2 is any indication, we don't have any idea on real costs and estimates are bound to double / triple / quadruple

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,862 Posts

There's already a converted ferry and power at the terminals for it so it's not hard. But as above it can just juice up along powered sections easily. Other trains may slow down as it draws down full whack very quickly...

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Not impressed with the H2 train. It takes an entire carriage for the storage bottles and equipment. High pressure gaseous H2 - not ideal in any sort of collision, and if they moved everything under the carriages, somewhat exposed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts