Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So just as I was planning on getting a charge point installed car decides to kick up a stink and now doesn't charge...
Yesterday I plugged in using granny as usual and the RCD tripped, reset the breaker and checked connections everywhere etc, plugged in again and charging started no problems thought there must've been moisture in something perhaps? Had been raining a lot?
Today the same issue has occurred although now I cannot get it start at all, it either trips the RCD or the granny itself just flashes the red fault light.
Took it down to my local podpoint to plug in, no dice. Get a message on the dash 'Unable to Charge' no CEL or any other warning lights, car drove fine on the 2miles electric range I had between home and podpoint.

Not sure what's my next step?
A) I'm not 100% sure my voltec warranty is in tact, the dealership I bought it from serviced it in September and not an authorised Vauxhall dealership, the last Vx service was August 2019 and 14,000miles ago, unclear as to whether this screws up the voltec warranty?
B) If Vx will fix it as much as everyone will recommend it Bellinger's, they are a 2 hour drive, I work Monday - Friday and have no public transport option during a time without the car, so I need to find a Vx dealership in north Kent/SE London area that are Ampera certified?
C) Car is under a 3rd party warranty provided by the dealership I purchased from, I am allowed to take the car to any VAT registered garage and claim back the repair costs, could this be a better route to take? I wonder if a HERVA garage will be able to fix?

Or am I jumping ahead of myself and this is something I can troubleshoot further at home?

·
Ampera aka IGOR
Tesla Model 3 P
3,713 Posts
I had an issue where mine would not charge. I plugged it into my home point and it immediately tripped the breaker. I tried a public charger and the charging unit would clunk every second or so and in time to this, the light on the dash would glow but a message of 'Unable to charge' was displayed. Mine turned out to be a hairline crack in the charge port, about £380 to replace but having had a look at youtube I would now tackle it myself if it happened again as it seems very straightforward.

·
Premium Member
Electron Summit White NK13...110k 92.7 and rising
202 Posts
Sorry to hear that. The fact that the podpoint also failed may just be that the car has logged the fault and is just protecting itself. It might clear after after a few cycles. If it doesn't then you need to get some proper VX diagnostics on it - not sure if the HEVRA garage would be able to do that.

But cracks in the chargeport leading to earth faults are not unknown as @h8ten says - I have had similar faults sporadically and got a replacement from the US for about £100 through ebay and in fact the design has been upgraded with a big slab of mastic on the back. Part no is 2328103 and your local HEVRA garage should be able to fit it.

Of course it could also be a fault with the granny charger. But for my money it is unlikely to be a fundamental fault with the car itself.

Your service history may be a problem with the Voltec warranty as VX will expect it to have been serviced according to the prescribed schedule. That is a condition of the contract.

If the car is running OK but unable to charge then once the battery has discharged you will still be able to run on the engine generator.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks both, wondering if its possible to determine myself if its the port, looks very simple to remove so if I can identify that its at fault the easiest route is to repair it myself, £130 incl shipping from US... annoying that it's impossible to get in the UK!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Thanks both, wondering if its possible to determine myself if its the port, looks very simple to remove so if I can identify that its at fault the easiest route is to repair it myself, £130 incl shipping from US... annoying that it's impossible to get in the UK!
You are better just ordering anything from GM,don’t even wait for the main stealers lol

·
Registered
MG5 and Chevy Volt
1,311 Posts
I've ordered parts from autovaux.co.uk before, and they are very quick, but probably twice the price of ordering from the U.S.

I've ordered a charge port from the US a few months ago, and it arrived with a week. It's a 15 min task to swap. There's a YouTube vid showing the swap.

Just remember to disconnect the 12v first, then pull the HV disconnect before doing anything else!

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I took it to the Tesco pod point on my way home from work just as a test and worked no issues. Got home and it’s working on granny too.... love an intermittent fault!
Hadn’t used the retail park pod point local to me before, not much reason to when I’m charging at home of course so it’s entirely possible it wasn’t working, it’s had reported issues on Zap-Map in the past. I’ve used the Tesco one near work a few times and it’s always fine and actually lights up to say something is charging, the one in the retail park had no lights although the app said it was online so I assumed it was working
So it’s still plausible that my granny could have an intermittent fault and I just happened to use a dud pod point on the day... or rather I’m hoping it’s the granny as that’s a much quicker and simpler replacement!

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
At the very least, clip a stiff plastic bag onto the plug when charging, to act as a tent & deflect rain/dew from settling on the chargeport region.

Reactions: DomJ

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The last two nights granny has worked fine, it buzzes very quietly whilst charging, I'm not sure if its always done this and I've just never noticed or if its a new thing...
Assuming its the original charger (it is the Rolec branded unit) it's at least 6.5 years old so might be worth buying another and keeping it as a spare?
I may also buy the charge port after payday too...

·
Premium Member
Electron Summit White NK13...110k 92.7 and rising
202 Posts
I didn't know Rolec made granny chargers. I thought they were made by Intertec. Do you mean the one under the boot floor?

If you are after a spare one of those you might want to follow up this recent post

My Rolec charger
mounted on the wall in the garage does buzz quietly when charging so I think that is normal. Other than some of the original relays being prone to catching fire I don't think there is much to go wrong with them. I did replace the tethered cable on mine at the same time as I did the chargeport as it had become rather twisted and I also wanted to renew completely the charger/vehicle interface which is the only thing that wears. But the design life is 10,000 mating cycles (estimated to be 27 years use) so I am probably being over cautious. :unsure:

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well it's happened on two more occasions at home using the granny, started to suspect granny itself because it was working at my friendly tesco podpoint until of course the day it finally didn't! And obviously when some chap with a new Corsa-e was charging up and showed interest in my refusing to charge Ampera!
Charge port is 25% off now so almost handy that I waited, snagged it for £102 including postage. Car has been happily charging from granny this weekend but it'll be a matter of time before it decides not to again. Don't enjoy the days where I'm driving on 0 charge, my lifetime MPG has already fallen by 1!

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So the granny was getting more hit and miss, some days charging and others not at all. Took it to my trusty tesco near work and used their podpoint but car responded in exactly the same way with the granny. After that it wouldn't charge at all, tried it everyday for the past week and no dice.
Yesterday the new charge port arrived and out I went to fit. In the two videos I watched removing the charge door revealed a nice clean cavity in the inner wing, not for me! Mine was full of crud, spiders webs, leaves etc so first I cleared that out. The the four screws were very very stiff and they have very long threads so a bit of an ordeal to remove but got there eventually. There is a trim clip at the top (the same type commonly used to hold door cards on etc) that was pretty mean to remove too.
Inspecting the old port I can see 3 hairline cracks which gave hope that is in fact the problem.
Helmet Automotive tire Vehicle brake Automotive lighting Bicycle part

New part has the blob of silicone or something at the back.

So fitted it, went back in pretty easily, reconnected HV battery and then 12v. Plugged in and bam charging!
Also bought the masterplug granny lead from screwfix, its much smaller than the voltec so more convenient to have in the boot, also has a little screen so you can monitor how much energy has been put in, very swish

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.